What's new

First straight shave moderate sucess...

So today is a bit of a day I am not sure how to feel about. I tried my first shave today with a straight, and held off about a day and a half to have some 'scruff' to shave off.... Well apparently my technique was less then great because I got though my first cheek, can't figure out how to get at my second cheek, and finally cleaned up with my DE at the end after I nicked myself the third time.

Now that said, when I bought it I was specifically intent on having it clean up my sideburns and under my nose, which it did an incredible job at.....

I am not giving up.... I am just a bit discouraged at the moment, it did take me several months to really get into DE shaving, it may take twice as many to get used to my straight.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Welcome to straights! There is a fairly steep learning curve. I'm still in it myself as are MANY others here. I found watching this quite useful.

CelticRaven said:
can't figure out how to get at my second cheek

I had a lot of problems my first few straight shaves finding the correct angles and positions. it was really quite humorous - every now and then i still struggle like a moron and get caught up in a moment of confusion, lol...

I recoreded my very first Straight shave just so i could laugh at it later - you might want to do the same, you'll thank me later! :biggrin1:

Well I wanted to start something new.... And well this is new.

I am going to try again tomorrow, and see what happens. At least I'll go into it with a clean face....

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Same boat here fellow straight razor noob! I just got shaving with an
SE down to a 3 pass BBS, and I had to muck it up with a straight.... I love it, unshaved stubble and all.

Wanna borrow my Feather AC?! I get much better shaves with my Feather instead of any of my str8's, but it might just be because I can't hone worth a s4it.

As regards the second cheek, you must decide whether to use your dominant hand or to use your off hand, i.e. use one hand for both sides or use your left hand on your left cheek and right hand on your right cheek. I think most use both hands but that is certainly not a rule. Some who use one hand on the opposite cheek point the toe towards the heel and others point the toe away from the ear.

I made a conscious decision to learn with both hands and it is going pretty good. You tend to be a lot more careful which slows you down and increases focus but there is a learning curve-wall either way.

Top Bottom