What's new

40th birthday present for the future.

Ok, follow me on this one.
I turn 35 this year. If I start saving $40 a paycheck for a birthday present to myself when I'm 40, I'll have....(40 x 26 pay periods = 1040/year x 5 years = $5200) a whopping $5200 to spend on myself.

So, assuming I have the discipline to do this and to be honest I kind of doubt that I do, what should I buy for myself?

I've floated this by SWMBO and she thinks its a fine idea (probably because I have very little willpower, but I'm motivated this time :001_rolle:)

I know prices might change and inflation, interest on money, etc. whatever.

So, what would you buy for yourself for $5200 in 5 years?
I'm leaning toward a watch.

You can do it. Ask your bank if they can automatically draft the monies into a savings account once or twice a month. That's what I do on my business account. I pay quarterly taxes with the monies.

As far as what to buy, I would consider a nice watch. Rolex, IWC, Breitling, etc. The skies the limit. Will not really but you will have a nice sum.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ditto on the watch idea ... and the best part is you have five years to pre-empt your buyer's remorse and finally decide which watch you want.

Here's some funny extra info for you.
Last night I asked my wife:
"If there was an emergency, say the house was about to explode and you had to take one thing with you, what would you take?"
Her answer " the laptop"
Me: why?
her: all our pictures are on it. Our wedding pictures, our Baby pictures....
Me: Ok, so if the house were to explode and you had to grab one of MY things to take what would it be?
her: that's easy, your box of watches.

Ahhh, she knows me too well. I also would grab the watches.

All expenses paid trip to the Grand Prix de Monaco....well, then again, it might not even cover 'all' expenses. A watch is a close 2nd (the Tag Heuer Monaco then)!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
With five grand to throw around, short of a car, basically the world is your oyster. (No, that's not a Rolex reference.) Maybe you want to drag your duitiful wife to Scotland so you can learn speycasting on the one river where they just call it "casting" ... maybe you'd like to buy a nice tux and go to a gala opera in London or Rome ...

... maybe flyfishing and La Boheme are so totally not your cup of tea it ain't funny. The thing is, I'd go to Scotland ... but maybe you'd rather get custom skis and go downhilling at St. Moritz (boooooring!! imho.)

Here's an idea ... re the watch ... you combine your birthday present with a trip for you and your wife ... to Tokyo ... to buy a Grand Seiko and a whole lot of ice cold sushi for breakfast.

... or ... ??

With five grand to throw around, short of a car, basically the world is your oyster. (No, that's not a Rolex reference.) Maybe you want to drag your duitiful wife to Scotland so you can learn speycasting on the one river where they just call it "casting" ... maybe you'd like to buy a nice tux and go to a gala opera in London or Rome ...

... maybe flyfishing and La Boheme are so totally not your cup of tea it ain't funny. The thing is, I'd go to Scotland ... but maybe you'd rather get custom skis and go downhilling at St. Moritz (boooooring!! imho.)

Here's an idea ... re the watch ... you combine your birthday present with a trip for you and your wife ... to Tokyo ... to buy a Grand Seiko and a whole lot of ice cold sushi for breakfast.

... or ... ??

Who knew you were a romantic? Excellent options Ian.

If you go for a watch, please make it Swiss,

If it is Swiss make it a Rolex.

If it is a Rolex make it a Sea Dweller.

Cannot. Go. Wrong.

Heirloom quality and will hold its value.

Nuff 'said.

TheShaun

Bejeweled
Being the finance guy that I am, I would try to sock away an additional $10/period. That would get you $6500 after 5 years. A much nicer rounder number. I would also look to funnel the money out of sight out of mind in a high interest savings account. That's not saying much in this low rate environment. Best I can find for my own cash savings is 1.35% here in Canada. Assuming no changes that would compound to approx $6720 over 5 years if I did the math right.

Then spend it on a trip or a watch and a trip.

If you go for a watch, please make it Swiss,

If it is Swiss make it a Rolex.

If it is a Rolex make it a Sea Dweller.

Cannot. Go. Wrong.

Heirloom quality and will hold its value.

Nuff 'said.

Rolex would be the obvious choice, but I would probably go another route. Maybe a vintage Rolex if I were to stick to the Rolexes. For other brands, maybe a Ulysse Nardin.

As you can tell, I support the watch idea! :thumbup1:

All expenses paid trip to the Grand Prix de Monaco....well, then again, it might not even cover 'all' expenses. A watch is a close 2nd (the Tag Heuer Monaco then)!

Oh man, I'm a F1 fan and I didn't even think of this!
I was crushed when they removed the Montreal race (they have since reinstated it).
I've never been to one but that sounds like a viable option now.

... or ... ??

I've been Fly fishing with my brother deep in the Rockies. Somewhere a few hours drive north west of Calgary. We fished the streams up there.

It was one of the best times i've ever had. I kinda forgot about that.
I encourage anyone who likes refined things to give that a try. It's about finesse.

A luxury trip has now made the list.

Trip to the Australian outback?

My wife has mentioned this several times. That would be fun. Her cousin lives in New Zealand.

Being the finance guy that I am, I would try to sock away an additional $10/period. That would get you $6500 after 5 years. A much nicer rounder number. I would also look to funnel the money out of sight out of mind in a high interest savings account. That's not saying much in this low rate environment. Best I can find for my own cash savings is 1.35% here in Canada. Assuming no changes that would compound to approx $6720 over 5 years if I did the math right.

Then spend it on a trip or a watch and a trip.

I wish I was smarter at math. :glare: I chose $40 because I was turning 40.
Sometimes I'm a simple man. Thanks for the advice.

I would fly to Dallas and rent a Ferrari 599 for an hour or two. That would eat around $1,000. Buy a Spanish shearling jacket, $2,000. A nice pair of Alden type boots $500 and keep the rest for future purchases.

Top Bottom