What's new

Dry Scalp

Looking for any advice of what people have done perhaps in the past to overcome this problem or what they are currently doing especially if it seems to be working.

A couple months ago I bought a shampoo bar from Eyebright ( http://mysticwatersoap.com/shampoo.htm ) which initially seems to have helped but now I dont really see any further improvement.

A month ago I bought some VO5 Hot Oil tubes which seems to have helped with making my hair & scalp seem more moisturised, but the packaging says to only use it once a week for hair rejuveination, so I am wary about using it more often than this.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Pure jojoba oil (it's really a wax) will do wonders for your dry scalp. You can use it without any concerns, it has no side effects. A few drops of it on your hand, massage onto the scalp and problem solved.
If you can get it cold pressed would be better, but expeller pressed is fine too.
I would get it organic too, but that's me :blush:

Last edited:
There is a way that might fix your problem but will seem very unusual.

- No soap showers -

Now before you just laugh it off I highly recommend you read up on it a little.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=no+soap+shower

After doing some research both myself and my wife decided to give it a try.
I normally have very dry skin and hair.

You still shower regularly, scrubbing down and the lot, but you don’t use any
soap. Everything i read mentioned that it took about a week before your
body starts to regulate itself. but I had no problems what so ever. i
continuously had my wife check me for ... odors ... but I never smelled bad at all...

My hair started looking healthy and any trace of dandruff disappeared. - Best
of all, my dry skin stopped itching from being dry!

Now I went back to using soap on my body after a couple weeks, but just
because I really like the scent and the feel of the lather during my shower.
But I still don’t use shampoo and my hair is never dry or greasy..
in fact on more than one occasion I’ve had somebody ask me what I
do with my hair, they thought I was lying when I told them the truth.

I've also read that in doing this it also fixes people who are naturally oily.
The constant removal of natural oils causes the body to over produce and
make a mess. After a period of time your body will regulate the oil production
to a natural level.

How many other mammals use soap? I wouldn’t call most animal necessarily
clean by our standards but I don’t think they have the same skin and hair
problems that we often find ourselves with either.

Everybody thought I was weird for my little soap-less experiment, but I
learned something from it and had fun trying something new.

But I think you should at least consider it as an option, really what’s the
worst that could happen? Just something to think about.

+1 for taking Omega-3 supplements. Not only good for your hair and skin, but also good for your eyes and your heart.

Also, agree with the jojoba oil. Another option is argan oil.

The last few weeks I have been showering and not washing my hair with any product whatsoever and I must say it does seem to be helping. The first time I tried it, I noticed an immediate improvement & doing it continually has definitely been a step in the right direction.

Thanks a lot!

I had dry scalp a few years back. I started husing Head & Shoulders sensitive skin (or whatever it's called), and that ended the problem.

Pure jojoba oil (it's really a wax) will do wonders for your dry scalp. You can use it without any concerns, it has no side effects. A few drops of it on your hand, massage onto the scalp and problem solved.
If you can get it cold pressed would be better, but expeller pressed is fine too.
I would get it organic too, but that's me :blush:

Bought a bottle of the oil this evening http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=1120

Cold pressed? expeller pressed? I'm not too sure about these.

I rubbed some into my scalp, left it for a couple of hours and rinsed it out without using any shampoos, just water only. Early days but hopefully it will be a step forward.

Thanks Lusitano! :001_smile

Bought a bottle of the oil this evening http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=1120

Cold pressed? expeller pressed? I'm not too sure about these.

I rubbed some into my scalp, left it for a couple of hours and rinsed it out without using any shampoos, just water only. Early days but hopefully it will be a step forward.

Thanks Lusitano! :001_smile

You are welcome. Expeller pressed means some heat is added when extracting, thus some beneficial properties may be lost during this process. Cold pressed is always better, but considerably more expensive in most cases.

Looking at the dates of posting I have only had this for 5 days, but in that time it has made a big difference.

My hair which felt very dry & straw like now has a healthy shine & I dont feel my scalp feeling itchy like it used to before. I am careful not to load my hair/scalp up so it becomes a greasy mess & around 8 drops massaged into the scalp seems to be about right for me.

A method I have been using is to rinse my hair with warm water, apply 8 drops of oil, massage it in & leave it for a couple of minutes, then rinse it out with warm water, then towel dry.

If your in a similar situation & dandruff marketed shampoos dont seem to work for you then give this a try.

Its only a shame I didnt find out about this product years ago. Lusitan thanks again!

Jojoba oil, in fact it is not an oil, but a wax ester is wonderful. Nature can be quite generous and we must be thankful for. Don't thank me, thank Nature for creating the jojoba plant :laugh:

Unrefined shea butter may be another option. But make sure it's unrefined, because the best quality shea butter is the unrefined one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom