What's new

french press or carafe coffee maker?

I read about the quality coffee the press can make. Can a carafe do about the same? I need something I can make quickly in the morning so I can get out the door.

Last edited:
I read about the quality coffee the press can make. Can a carafe do about the same?
They're very different brewing methods and produce different results. A gold filter (paper absorbs oils and such) in a drip coffee maker may come closer to French press but it still probably wouldn't be equivalent.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I like the French press. It is quite fast and has the flavor of making coffee in an open pot with none of the essence filtered out. You will need to use "regular" grind rather than "drip".

Coleman makes one that's all stainless so you don't have to worry so much about breakage.

I've had a French Press pot for years but only started using it in earnest for the last ~2 months. I ain't going back...:tongue_sm

I find that the french press makes a truely better cup of coffee compared to a carafe style maker. All the carafe style makers I've tried/owned end up giving the coffee a burnt taste.

I think both should work well, it may be more about which device you have on hand and which method you prefer. I find the drip system a bit easier overall, especially when in a hurry or multitasking as it requires no thought after loading the coffee and water. For a hurry-up morning I think the ideal setup would be to brew directly into a vacuum insulated thermos and take your coffee to go. A Technivorm Moccamaster may be ideal for that approach since it is tall enough to accommodate a variety of vessels (I do not own one). My Capresso only works with its specially fitted thermos which is a disadvantage.

Got a French Press from Wal Mart a year or so ago. I read tutorials but in 3 tries didn't get good tasting coffee (it was watery) and "pressing" didn't compress the grounds. But in the end, the cleanup does it in for me. It might be more flavorful coffee (not doubting that) but too much trouble to deal with.

Maybe it's me, but I can never get a strong cup of coffee using a French Press. Plus, I can never keep the coffee warm. My wife and I drink two to three cups each in the a.m. and when I use the French Press the coffee is not warm enough for her.

By carafe, do you mean the manual pour the water on the grounds yourself method? If so, both the carafe and the press can make good coffee. They're just different - I mean the coffee is just different.

I use either method, depending on what I feel like having at the moment. However, if I have company, I use the carafe, since I have only a 3-cup press. For myself, I use either the press or one of the 2-cup Melitta filters, brewed either directly into the cup or into a smaller carafe.

I can't say about the drip machines. I haven't really enjoyed the coffee from them that much, but that could be circumstances.

Last edited:
I don't think the pressing does anything in a french press but remove the ground from your coffee. I have had some GREAT coffee from my press, but only if the beans are freshly ground, and a large grind.

I put in the ground coffee then add not quite boiling water and let it sit for 7 minutes before pressing, and it is quite strong.

Maybe it's me, but I can never get a strong cup of coffee using a French Press. Plus, I can never keep the coffee warm. My wife and I drink two to three cups each in the a.m. and when I use the French Press the coffee is not warm enough for her.

It might be you - I get far stronger coffee out of my press than I ever did from a drip machine. As for it getting cold, I don't use quite boiling water - 205 actually - but I have a double-walled stainless steel press, and my second cup is still hot when I pour it.

What's your grounds to water ratio? Grind size can affect strength, too. As can time.

I used a french press for a bit, used a Melitta drip cone as well. I found a different coffee maker - the aeropress http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm works best for me. It makes a concentrated coffee and you can dilute to taste.

Or you can try the cold brew method with a Toddy or Filtron. Makes about 50 ounces of concentrate which you store in the fridge until needed and then just add hot water. Really convenient in the morning but more of a pain to make the concentrate.

Lewis

Quick & good - you would have to pry the Bunn from my cold dead hands. I love this machine, wonderful coffee and a whole pot in 3 minutes.

It isn't as artisan as my press but worlds better than a drip coffee maker.

It might be you - I get far stronger coffee out of my press than I ever did from a drip machine. As for it getting cold, I don't use quite boiling water - 205 actually - but I have a double-walled stainless steel press, and my second cup is still hot when I pour it.

What's your grounds to water ratio? Grind size can affect strength, too. As can time.

What's the brand of the coffee maker you are using? The one I had was all glass. The instructions for it were not the best. For example, it did not say what the water temp should be and gave no indication of what the amount of coffee should be.

Also, do you put the coffee in a thermos after it is brewed?

My press is actually from Starbucks, but I figure it's made by Bodum. That's where I get the replacement screens, anyway. No thermos.

As for the ratio, I took mine from a bag of whole beans (also from Starbucks) and it's been working for me. 3-4oz per tbsp., I go with 8 "heaping" tbsp. 205 F for 4 minutes. Plunge and pour!

The latest standard is 60g per liter.

That is, 2.11oz (by weight) per ~32oz water.

I have a mini-scale at work for gong fu tea, but I've always measured my coffee and "western" tea by volume. I know it isn't ideal, but I visually compensate for density of the tea. Coffee, well, I pretty much ignored whatever variance there may be in density as I never had problems with my coffee.

I did, however, order another scale for home use. Once that comes, I'll see how close I was to the "new standard" out of curiosity. I like my coffee (when I make it anymore) so I doubt I'll change much.

I have a mini-scale at work for gong fu tea, but I've always measured my coffee and "western" tea by volume. I know it isn't ideal, but I visually compensate for density of the tea. Coffee, well, I pretty much ignored whatever variance there may be in density as I never had problems with my coffee.

I did, however, order another scale for home use. Once that comes, I'll see how close I was to the "new standard" out of curiosity. I like my coffee (when I make it anymore) so I doubt I'll change much.

I don't think you should change much either. If you like it, drink it!

Top Bottom