What's new

Addiction

Howdy all,

Ive been a member on here for a less than a year and must admit i love this website. I love to come on here and read all there is about shaving, but also learn a lot of new things about cigars/pipes, coffee, clothing style and anything else under the sun we talk about on here.

One thing that i have noticed which is starting to concern me is the addiction a lot of people seem to be getting towards shaving.

Now dont get me wrong a nice shave and some great equipment is never a bad thing, what concerns me is the people you see buying 6 or 7 razors at a time. Or the stones or brushes everyone wants more and more of.

I'm not here to complain or nag on anyone, I'm just saying sometimes you see it getting out of control and you start to feel concerned about some people.

I understand that it is a new hobby and you want to try out every product and have the latest thing, but sometimes you have to learn how to draw the line. Frankly i haven't seen some people learn how stop.

Now i bet your saying its just shaving whats the problem? Or its just one more strop/stone/brush/soap whats the problem? But lets try to think of it in terms of something like booze, or drugs. Would it be ok to have just one more? or 7 or 8 more?

I know I'm probably writing things that no one wants to read but i feel like someone should say it. We can still enjoy or hobby but learn how to draw the line.

Now go out there and have a great shave!

Howdy all,

Ive been a member on here for a less than a year and must admit i love this website. I love to come on here and read all there is about shaving, but also learn a lot of new things about cigars/pipes, coffee, clothing style and anything else under the sun we talk about on here.

One thing that i have noticed which is starting to concern me is the addiction a lot of people seem to be getting towards shaving.

Now dont get me wrong a nice shave and some great equipment is never a bad thing, what concerns me is the people you see buying 6 or 7 razors at a time. Or the stones or brushes everyone wants more and more of.

I'm not here to complain or nag on anyone, I'm just saying sometimes you see it getting out of control and you start to feel concerned about some people.

I understand that it is a new hobby and you want to try out every product and have the latest thing, but sometimes you have to learn how to draw the line. Frankly i haven't seen some people learn how stop.

Now i bet your saying its just shaving whats the problem? Or its just one more strop/stone/brush/soap whats the problem? But lets try to think of it in terms of something like booze, or drugs. Would it be ok to have just one more? or 7 or 8 more?

I know I'm probably writing things that no one wants to read but i feel like someone should say it. We can still enjoy or hobby but learn how to draw the line.

How many razors do you have ?

Howdy all,

Comparing a shaving addiction to an addiction to say booze or drugs is really an apples and oranges thing. We call a person an addict to booze or drugs when the addiction begins to impair functioning in other aspects of living. The line that you draw with an addict is a very clear one: the line that will keep them living life uninterrupted (employed, without marriage problems, financial issues, etc). There really isn't a line to draw when in comes to acquiring shaving products because there isn't a drawback to having too much stuff.

Now if there is a guy out therewho would rather buy a razor than today's lunch, then I might think this guy needs some help.

From my own experience, the mad rush to buy multiple items comes from a collector's perspective. Could I do with just one of each product? Sure. Is it awesome to have a 1907 Single ring, a fatboy, a superspeed, a new, a krona, and others as collector's pieces that you can actually use? Hells yea. I've been a collector my whole life. I'm reminded of buying sports cards as a kid. Would I blow my allowance on a bunch of cards b/c I was snagging some good ones? yes. Didn't affect my daily living. I'm choosing to spend the money I have on something I want to collect, cherish, and pass on to my loved ones. There really is no line to draw when you think about it that way and therefore no addiction. :)

just my two cents

Last edited:
"Now i bet your saying its just shaving whats the problem? Or its just one more strop/stone/brush/soap whats the problem? But lets try to think of it in terms of something like booze, or drugs. Would it be ok to have just one more? or 7 or 8 more?"

don't know much about drugs but I'm good with 7 or 8 more drinks or razors

ken

That is a ridiculous comparison. Drugs and shaving??? Have you ever known anyone that was addicted to crack, cocaine, or narcotics? If not, then I can see why you'd ask such a question.

Oh crap, I'm in denial AND defensive... I better check into rehab :lol::lol:

Yes, but I can't quit shaving anytime. It's something I need to see to, and if it's something i have to do why not enjoy it? As long as I'm not running up debt and having to take a 2nd mortgage out on the house I think I'm good.

Until we see a dramatic increase in people dying because of shaving and driving. Or a lot of people becoming unemployed because they were caught shaving on the job, I'm not going to worry too much.

It is a fun question to ask in jest, but even the biggest shaving gear enthusiasts are not dropping $5000 on shaving supplies (most of us won't spend that in a lifetime). You would get a lot further comparing shaving supply AD to buying a golf membership or seasons tickets to something. Alcoholism and drug addiction reduce quality of life, this improves it.

Sure, I'll admit that I have invested a "bit" in my hobby, but what hobby doesn't cost? Some call it an addiction while others call it a collection. Cool thing though, if you have been smart with your purchases you can get most if not more of your $ back if you decide to cash out. Other than firearms, what hobbies can you say that about?

Until we see a dramatic increase in people dying because of shaving and driving. Or a lot of people becoming unemployed because they were caught shaving on the job, I'm not going to worry too much..

I don't think it's shaving on the job we have to worry about.

Now reading a shave forum while at work?? I wonder if anyone's been fired for that one yet.

Basil,

Most, maybe nearly all, of the people on here have some disposable income to throw at their hobby, DE or straight shaving. It's no different than the women who have tons of shoes, orchid enthusiasts who have tons of plants, gun buffs who have 50 revolvers, or any number of other collections and hobbies. It's a way we have of spending extra money to bring quality and pleasure into our lives.

I'd wager that almost all the folks on here who have 30 plus razors, 50 brushes, and a hundred creams can *well* afford the expense. (I'm not one of them, for the record, I have two DE's, one brush, and several creams and soaps. That's enough to keep me happy.)

If one of these folks went out and spent $ 50k on a new Mercedes, it would barely raise an eyebrow. What's the big deal about spending it on shaving gear?

But dude, I just found another great coffee mug and stainless steel bowl at Habitat for Humanity's thrift shop! We are talking the ultimate shaving mug and lather bowl for...FIFTY CENTS! :lol:

(I am not making this up. I really did find these for a quarter each today.)

I admit it, im addicted to water.. I just cant go for more than a couple of hours without a hit.

Seriously though, if people want to spend some disposable income on some razors, and enjoy a daily chore they should be applauded. It's not hurting anyone.

Until we see a dramatic increase in people dying because of shaving and driving.

:lol: Maybe I'll convert the console in my truck to a giant scuttle.

I don't think it's shaving on the job we have to worry about.

Now reading a shave forum while at work?? I wonder if anyone's been fired for that one yet.

...sorry the boss just walked in my office, what did I miss?

But dude, I just found another great coffee mug and stainless steel bowl at Habitat for Humanity's thrift shop! We are talking the ultimate shaving mug and lather bowl for...FIFTY CENTS! :lol:

(I am not making this up. I really did find these for a quarter each today.)

I hit the thrift store any chance I get. :thumbup1:

I'm one of those people who just likes having random hobbies. I'm just ADD or whatever you want to call it. I also have AD in general, not just shaving. It's not that I HAVE to buy stuff all the time or always have something new to do. But I DO enjoy spending time researching my hobbies and buying new gadgets and anything shiny. Shaving satisfies those desires.

I have a "hobby" that is a vice for many and that's beer. I agree with texaninkc about a addiction is something that effects your livelihood. Beer is not an addiction for me cause I partake in, at most, an average of one or two a day. It doesn't hurt my body or my family that way. I do go to "Beer-fest" any time they have on in town, but it's not drinking games, it's sampling. I like quality beer, so if I don't have the cash I just don't bother so it doesn't hurt my wallet.

Bottom line is everybody spends some money on hobbies and things that don't matter much in the long run. That spending and time invested into those things is only a problem if you put them before what really matters.

Well I see at as this.. as with anything else the more variables and options, the more confused you get. I've been in relationships (casual dating) with more than one woman, you get confused. You have more than one car (you don't know which one to drive today).

Shaving can do the same thing. I tried many mugs, bowls before buying a scuttle. Personally, the scuttle is nice but over hyped. I tried a couple razors, back to the Futur (the DE89 is good for getting up close to the nose but the Futur beats it). You have more soaps and brushes, they are not huge differences between them. Sure some soaps and cremes whip up nicer or should I say nicer than others with less effort but when it comes down to it the only things that I can see should really go on a mission about are the blades. Just my opinion. Finding the right razor/ blade combo definitely does vary and should be pursued. The rest, a brush is a brush. Actually the cheap synthetic works almost identical to the badger. Oh, aftershave balms and moisturizers I can see messing with too. These products can vary greatly in helping razor burn, bumps, moisturizing etc.

Just my 2 cents Sometimes less is more. Of course next time I buy soap chances are I will look around for what others like and give that a try but to go buy 20 different ones isnt helping you to pick what works for you. It just confuses one.

That is a ridiculous comparison. Drugs and shaving??? Have you ever known anyone that was addicted to crack, cocaine, or narcotics? If not, then I can see why you'd ask such a question.

Oh crap, I'm in denial AND defensive... I better check into rehab :lol::lol:

First you must check into hab. Then after the first "lapse", you check into rehab, then rerehab, and ...! :laugh:

First of all I'd like to say sorry.

I didn't write this post to offend or make it seem like I was judging you all.

I'm the last person who should talk about addiction and the likes because like most of you when I find something I like I dive right in.

Now I only wrote this post because I've been seeing alot of post lately of people saying they bought six or seven razors and I hope my wife doesn't find out or something along those lines. Which in turn made me think of some posts I've seen on here and other sites about the swmbo getting annoyed and just leaving. Leaving the person to sell off their collection to fend for themselves.

Now like I said I don't want to offend or upset anyone and I'm sorry that I did. I just thought it would share my thoughts on what I see. Like I said what I see might not be what you see. And in the end we are all gentlemen here and in the end we can agree to disagree.

First of all I'd like to say sorry.

I didn't write this post to offend or make it seem like I was judging you all...

I can't speak for others, but for what it's worth I wasn't offended. I didn't see your comments as judgmental. At most I just saw that you were concerned for your fellow man and not wanting anybody to get into deep crap. IMO nobody can be mad at you about that.

It didn't come off as judgy. More in the vein of a group of smokers standing outside in the cold talking about how smoking is a social thing not an addiction.

Top Bottom