What's new

Why are some magnetic?

They're not heated hot enough. You need to get steel to 1670F to start converting the iron from magnetic ferrite, to the non-magnetic forms of steel.

They're not heated hot enough. You need to get steel to 1670F to start converting the iron from magnetic ferrite, to the non-magnetic forms of steel.

Could be wrong, but once they cool they should be magnetic again. No?

May be an artifact of the production process, held in place for grinding by magnets or somethinglikethat.

Heated between 1420F and 1670F it takes on a magnetic structure, but it's not actually magnetic until it cools below 1420F again. Bring it to 1670 and you start developing different structures that aren't magnetic when it cools. At that higher temperature, it gets denser and allows other materials into the structure, and they stay as it cools.

Was reading a bit more. There doesn't seem to be much good from taking a razor to higher temperatures. The next few stages get larger grains, and denser. After that it gets harder. None of those sound like good things for a razor that needs to be honed very sharp. You could do high carbon steel, but it seems like a lot more work, needs more care, and also gets brittle. Otherwise, unless you're using newer alloys, there seems to be only downsides.

Last edited:
Heated between 1420F and 1670F it takes on a magnetic structure, but it's not actually magnetic until it cools below 1420F again. Bring it to 1670 and you start developing different structures that aren't magnetic when it cools. At that higher temperature, it gets denser and allows other materials into the structure, and they stay as it cools.

Interesting... So my razors at home, if correctly heat treated will be non magnetic?

Not sure they'd survive. They might warp or otherwise change shape. It would be really cool to try, though. The melting point's 1000F higher. Only thing is, I'd be worried about annealing the metal, which seems counterproductive, but maybe not.

I don't know much at all. I've only been looking into metallurgy a little bit recently to find other ways to examine blades to go along with the microscope pictures.

I feel like The 13th Warrior. Is there a metal worker?

Last edited:
I can tell you as a knife maker just about every knife I've ground has become magnetic BEFORE I sent it to be heat treated. Amazingly most have held that property post HT as well. I gave up diagnosing it and just bought a plate de magnetizer to resolve it.

My Boker one day was magnetic. Not sure why. It was just sitting on the shelf with all my other non-magnetic blades. I had read somewhere you can magnetize a screw driver by hitting it just so with a hammer. Maybe it bumped against another one just right?

Either that or magic.

don't know what the question is. Are you asking are some blades attracted to a magnet( ie magnetic) or are some blades marked "magnetized" meaning they will attract iron.
I belie:001_smileve that those razors marked "magnetic" was just a gimmic that came out in the days of medical quackery.

But some blades are stamped "Magnetized" like it is a special feature for that razor. Was it not made that way intentionally? Did they stamp it just to let you know it is Magnetized?

I always wondered what the purpose for being magnetized was.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed my two straights stick to each other by magnetic field. One is a Dovo "special" the other is a Norwood. I did some research and saw some old straights were stamped "magnetized." I was just wondering if this is done intentionally and why.

I noticed my two straights stick to each other by magnetic field. One is a Dovo "special" the other is a Norwood. I did some research and saw some old straights were stamped "magnetized." I was just wondering if this is done intentionally and why.

It is. I've a boker in my possession that says magnetized and so it is

Most, if not all straight razors are magnetic, that is they will attract or be attracted by a magnet. Any that are not are probably made from austenitic stainless steel and will not hold an edge. In the past some manufactureres magnatized their straight razors (i.e. made them into magnets). This was essentially a marketing ploy prompted by the belief that low level magnetic fields were somehow good for you. Come to think of it, there are still people who believe this, hence the market in magnetic bracelets and other such devices.

Gee, I thought it was so you could hang the razor off of your earring, or stick it on the side of your head using the plate in your head. Boy , was I wrong. :lol::lol::lol:

Due to the high meat-content of the Victorian-era diet, the stubble of the average man became infused with a high percentage of iron. Having magetised blades allowed the razor to attract the hair more readily and therefore give a better and closer shave.

The ones that advertised themselves as magnetic used it as a marketing ploy. The ads implied that being magnetic gave the razor certain qualities, or that the magnetism was a result of advanced forging techniques, sometimes vaguely implying both in the same ad. If memory serves Carbo magnetic razors were forged "with a secret process of electricity" and the magnetism allowed them to self sharpen. Do a image search for carbo magnetic and you'll see a bunch of vintage ads for it.

Of course, its likely that initially the forging process left some makers blades magnetic, and they decided to use this to their advantage by marketing it. However, if it seemed to increase sales I'm sure other makers would go ahead and magnetize their blades afterwards and advertise them as such, especially if it seemed there was a "magnetic craze" or something.

Top Bottom