What's new

****Straight Razor Shave Clinic Stickies****

i have been using a straight razor since 1991. i have honed my own razors, and feel that several members have insinuated that since i do not send my razors to be honed,i dont know what a good shave is. i am a computer idiot. but i sserved in fallujah and used a straight razor there with only enough water to wet my face. some folks on here seem to think that honing your own razor is impossible or beneath them.....i hone all my razors, have never sent one to be honed. how many here hone their own razors? am i alone?

i have been using a straight razor since 1991. i have honed my own razors, and feel that several members have insinuated that since i do not send my razors to be honed,i dont know what a good shave is. i am a computer idiot. but i sserved in fallujah and used a straight razor there with only enough water to wet my face. some folks on here seem to think that honing your own razor is impossible or beneath them.....i hone all my razors, have never sent one to be honed. how many here hone their own razors? am i alone?

First of all...this ex-USN Corpsman wants to say, thank you for your service. I don't have an answer for you though as I have only 2 straight razor shaves under my belt, but am really enjoying learning the new techniques. I also intend to learn how to hone my razor(s) as I also sharpen all my knives. I figure that if I'm doing it incorrectly it will feel/act different than the honed /shave-ready blade felt like when it was first delivered. Will be following this topic closely :)

First of all, I'm new with straight razors but I've been sharpening knives, woodworking tools, etc. for nearly 50 years. If I can't learn to sharpen, hone, strop a straight razor then I shouldn't be using it.

Don't let the cork-sniffers get you worried. If you know how to use the equipment, there's nothing a hone meister is going to do that you cant. He's albeit probably much more efficient at it than you. But no more effective.

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

ive met one of those in a group that believes that i myself am incapable of getting something shave ready and that i have to send it off to get honed by a professional. i think ive done good after a few bumps in the road

Top Bottom