What's new

Another Ever Ready Resto

Hello Gents,

First time poster, long time lurker here. Thought I would post pics of a restoration in progress, also my first.

This is my fire-red (w/ orange swirls--hard to see in the crappy pics I took with phone) Ever Ready 129 R. I believe it is also supposed to have a matching holder, but this has been lost to time. A shame, too, as the bakelite is beautiful.
So far, I have not seen this in the Ever Ready compilation thread on B&B, so if someone would like to move this thread/info over, I'd appreciate it. Will post pics once the job is done. I've added epoxy to form a flat base (after days of cracking out dry tar once the knot was out, then using a dremel to clean, then rough up the sides of the handle), and in the next few days will measure out and cut cork to provide the loft I'm looking for, then epoxy and wait impatiently. Knot is a TGN 20mm Silvertip.

This first resto is, essentially, practice for me. I've got another ER handle coming--a 200T like my grandfather used. So, this is truly an important and sentimental task for me. I started DE shaving as a way to reconnect with gramps, and can't wait to have a recreation of his brush as well (though I will NOT be using his choice of Williams soap--Omega cream rules!).

Thanks to all the B&B community for the tips, advice, laughs, and real sense of community over the last few weeks. I may not be a very frequent poster, but rest assured, I'm a grateful one.

Cheers,

Prufrock

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Prufrock::
Ah ha!!!, so that's were you've been hiding...lurking no doubt? (another one comes out from the mist). :lol1:

Anyhow, welcome to the B & B (besides being enrolled in the fictional, sacred and utopian Order of Shavedom),...please feel free to come up to the sun deck 'sit-a-spell' and thank you for dis-engaging you're 'lurking device'.

I myself have 3 Restored (not by me mind you...I'm way too nevous
proxy.php
to try), Ever-Ready Brushes (150 Silvertip, 250PB Pure Badger and a 200T Finest Badger and I just love Every-Ready's with the two-tone color scheme handles).

In closing, please don't leave us 'hanging' (post again now and then), but once you get time....please tell all of us about your shaving tools / kit, how your Restoration worked out and a little about yourself in the Hall of Fame sub-forum.

Christopher
proxy.php

Attached Image...a.k.a. The Lurking Device

Thanks all. Count--your pics of the 200T were a revelation: I hadn't thought of gramps' brush in years, and there it was! I owe you for my current vintage/restored SBAD. Thanks?

With some of the 200T's you get lucky....just grab a hold of the hair and give it a good pull and they usually come right out. I've done two that way. Kept one with 22mm UK creme badger knot, the other was opened up for a 24mm black badger knot that I sold to a fellow coworker.

Good to know, ctkelly, thanks. Thinking about putting TGN finest in the 200T, but I'm also planning on stuffing one of the remaining TGN/Vulfix boar knots in something, for soap--hardwater here and I find boar works my Tabac up to a nice thick lather. Of course if I'm honest with myself, the real reason is mostly cause I want one. Fortunately, the better half is mostly supportive/apathetic about the whole thing....

For now.

I set the 22mm to 55-56mm loft....the boar knots have a ton of backbone and thats what semogue sets the 1305 to, figured it would be a safe bet. I also have hard water but I seem to do okay so far. Mitchells Wool fat usually puts up a fight, but the boar whips it into shape also.

Thanks for the welcomes, gents. And keep those restoration pics coming--they give me something to aspire to. To save on epoxy, I'm waiting on another brush to get here before finishing the current project. Will post pics of both hopefully by this weekend.

Top Bottom