What's new

Best body wash?

My current bottle is starting to run down, so I'm looking into a decent body wash. There are a few things I'm looking for.

1) No menthol.

2) No little beads/balls for exfoliating.

3) Moisturizing.

4) Preferably not too expensive.

Scent is a pretty subjective thing, but I would prefer a smell over unscented. Any suggestions? I'm not a big fan of bar soap, but I'm wondering if there are any good quality gels worth obtaining.

Dr. Woods Castile Liquid Soap with Shea Butter.

+1. I put about 3-4 parts water to 1 part dr. Bronners or dr woods in a spray bottle. I spray a puff or washcloth about 4 times and am good to go for an entire shower. I do the same with their baby formula in my kids bath. One of my boys has sensitive skin and it been great compared to regular soaps and bubble baths.

I must confess, I've previously overlooked Castile soap, but I may check it out if I can stand the scent. Thanks for the info.

Dr. Bronner's or Dr. Woods Castile Soaps are scented if you want to. For example, you have bitter almond scent, or orange scent. Check them out.

I suggest Dr. Woods because they have a version with shea butter, very moisturizing.

- Nivea For Men Sensitive BW

- Nivea For Men Active 3 BW

Both have moisturising ingredients, no menthol, no beads.

They smell nice too (but non overpowering)

I used to get hella itchy here in the winter, and decided to try the new Dove Sensitive Skin body wash (marketed towards women, not the men's care line) w/ Nutrium moisture. It claims to be unscented, but it has some light fragrance, just smells like soap to me, nothing femenine or perfumey. Coming from Dr. Bronners (Which is high PH, and seemed to dry my skin out quite a bit), this has made a huge difference. I hate lotion w/ a passion so this worked out quite well for me.

I do miss some of the scented varieties like Irish Spring though, but the proof is in the pudding, and this does the job for the drying winter air.

I used to get hella itchy here in the winter, and decided to try the new Dove Sensitive Skin body wash (marketed towards women, not the men's care line) w/ Nutrium moisture. It claims to be unscented, but it has some light fragrance, just smells like soap to me, nothing femenine or perfumey. Coming from Dr. Bronners (Which is high PH, and seemed to dry my skin out quite a bit), this has made a huge difference. I hate lotion w/ a passion so this worked out quite well for me.

I do miss some of the scented varieties like Irish Spring though, but the proof is in the pudding, and this does the job for the drying winter air.

Dr. Bronner's has high pH because soaps are alkaline by nature. Maybe your Dove Sensitive is not soap based, but detergent based, that's why it's not alkalin.

Dr. Bronner's has high pH because soaps are alkaline by nature. Maybe your Dove Sensitive is not soap based, but detergent based, that's why it's not alkalin.

Yes it is detergent based. Here is the ingredient list;
Water , Glycine Soja Oil or Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil (Soybean, Sunflower) , Sodium Lauryl Isethionate , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Lauric Acid , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Stearic Acid , Glycerin , Sodium Isethionate , Lauryl Alcohol , Tallow Acid , Palmitic Acid , Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride , DMDM Hydantoin , Methylisothiazolinone , Tetrasodium EDTA , Etidronic Acid , Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate , Fragrance , BHT

Your earlier post mentioned DR Woods w/ Shea. Have you used Bronner? and Woods? If so, does the Shea make a big difference compared to Bronner's in aiding with moisture?

Yes it is detergent based. Here is the ingredient list;

Your earlier post mentioned DR Woods w/ Shea. Have you used Bronner? and Woods? If so, does the Shea make a big difference compared to Bronner's in aiding with moisture?

Shea butter is highly unsaponifiable, so most of it will stay intact in the body wash. Pure castile soap can be drying, like you said, due to the alkaline nature of soap. But by adding shea butter will make a great difference.

I do notice that with bar soaps. Since I've started using bar soaps with shea butter never felt my skin dry again.

Anyone ever tried the Musgo Real bodywash? I like the soap and was wondering about the bodywash but it seems rather expensive to just order not knowing weather I will like it or not.

Last edited:
I would suggest yet another product: Nubian Heritage Ivorian Cocoa Butter Wash w/Milk Chocolate

Extra moisturizing cocoa butter and hazelnut oil, with a delicious dark chocolate scent :001_tt1:

Top Bottom