What's new

Brewing a Tuo Cha

I received a small packet of Pu-erh from Upton awhile ago, and I'm curious about the best way to brew it with the equipment I have. I made one before using the directions on the site and got a thick, tarry-black liquor that was extremely pungent. None of the images I've seen on this site show Pu-erh looking like that. The only brewing equipment that I have is a 2-cup Chatsford with a mesh infuser basket. Any suggestions?

Oh, and though the aroma was very pungent (almost pasture-like,) the taste was quite nice.

FYI, that's ripened pu-erh (called "shu", sometimes colloquially "cooked pu erh"). It's meant to mimic pu erh that's been aged.

Three recommendations, in order of simplicity.

1. Shorten your brew time. I have a bag of loose, aged pu erh from World Market. It actually makes a decent thick, earthy, sweet cup per their instructions (1 heaping teaspoon per 8oz of boiling water, 4-5 minutes). I can brew the same leaves for 4 minutes and then again for 5 minutes for a second cup.

2. MacGyver-Fu cha. Find a small (no more than 200mL, 100-150mL ideal) bowl with a lid. Alternatively, a bowl of this size that will hold the filter basket from your teapot. Put 5-7grams per 100mL of water in your basket, and lower the basket into the small mug/pot of boiled water for short infusions (10s, 15s, 20s, etc). Essentially, mimicking "gong fu" brewing without a gaiwan or yixing.

3. Buy a gaiwan. I know, cash outlay - but really, you can do this for $10 or less shipped if you look around, and they're awesomely versatile brewing vessels that will open the doors to a whole new world of teas. True, this doesn't strictly adhere to your criteria of using what you have, but I think it's worth mentioning.

Thanks for the tips! The buying of more stuff isn't why I asked if it could be done in the Chatsford; I just wanted to make it today. :tongue_sm
I've got a substantial tax refund coming, and though the majority of it is going to a Macbook, I think I could divert a small amount to tea paraphernalia. I'll have to check out our local tea store and see what they have.

Here's what I did differently for today's:
Rinsed the cake first in a small mug for about 10s and brewed for only 4 minutes.
This batch was much cleaner and thinner, along with the taste and aroma being more of fallen leaves than of a well-used pasture.

I like to give a couple of flash rinses to those as well. Good luck on finding a gaiwan at a local tea house unless it is an asian tea house. I've had reasonable success in my 550ml tetsubin by placing two mini tou in the basket, they don't have large leaf so it doesn't interfere with leaf expansion, a couple of short rinses, and 2.5 minute initial steep and increasing by .5-1 minute for additional steepings. I don't remember how many steepings I was getting but it was quite a few. No it isn't as good as a gaiwan or good small pot in the 100ml-150ml range but not bad either, like the OP I tried the tea before getting the gear.

Edit: I just used that pot and its 500ml filled to the brim.

Last edited:
I didn't actually pay attention the first time at the size of the tuo; I've seen those in sizes everywhere between individual cup and 250g (personally - I'm sure they come bigger). I was assuming something more in the 100g to 250g range. Those 3g tuos are suitable for a pretty small cup anyway. I think the longer time might be recommended due to the fact that they're pressed.

Anyway, glad you're getting into tea. It's been a ton of fun for me, especially gong fu.

Top Bottom