What's new

Engraving

Hello Guys, has anyone tried engraving an acrylic handle? A bit like how Simpsons engrave their handles?

I'm looking at turning a handle but would like to mark it up.

Cheers

Am I right in thinking that's a by product of the old paraffin style lamps? I thought it still had to engraved before the lamp black was rubbed in?

I'd be interested to know the process.

Am I right in thinking that's a by product of the old paraffin style lamps? I thought it still had to engraved before the lamp black was rubbed in?

I'd be interested to know the process.

Yes that's right- using a paraffin lamp. And no you don't need to engrave the handle first. By using a stamp it's just a case of holding the stamp over the flame until 'soot' forms and then gently tap the stamp into the handle using a lightweight/midweight hammer (you don't need a 20oz!). A bit of practice is needed to gradually 'rock' the stamp horizontally across the face of the brush to ensure even lamp blacking. Have attached a photo taken at Nimmer Mills a few years ago. You will see that the brush is resting on a cut out but a wood vice is just as good to hold the stamp.

Hope this helps but if you want any more info drop me a PM.

Gary

Yes that's right- using a paraffin lamp. And no you don't need to engrave the handle first. By using a stamp it's just a case of holding the stamp over the flame until 'soot' forms and then gently tap the stamp into the handle using a lightweight/midweight hammer (you don't need a 20oz!). A bit of practice is needed to gradually 'rock' the stamp horizontally across the face of the brush to ensure even lamp blacking. Have attached a photo taken at Nimmer Mills a few years ago. You will see that the brush is resting on a cut out but a wood vice is just as good to hold the stamp.

Hope this helps but if you want any more info drop me a PM.

Gary

Gary,

Lamp Blacking...:001_tt1:

I love the way that it looks on the old brushes, another reason for my pursuit to find them. I may have to speak to you a little more "off line" on this subject, very interested!!!

Justin

Food for thought, thanks Gary.

Welcome. Lamp blacking is the traditional way of marking up a brush but it isn't for everyone. Have you thought about somewhere like a 'Timpsons'? I would think that a company like that who are used to engraving 'darts' cups etc (something round in shape) might be able to engrave a brush handle. Just an idea...

Top Bottom