What's new

Newbie Introduction........

B

BananasRUS

Today is my first day on this Forum and I am looking forward to learning all I can about shaving with a brush, etc. I have shaved for the better part of 25 years with a regular razor and shaving cream, but I would like to learn a better way from all of you! I have sensitive skin and a pretty dark beard growth, although in the last few years, it is slowly turning very white in places! Ah, the aging process at work on my face!

Does anyone have any pointers for a first-timer; i.e. a good first brush, razor, cream versus shaving soap, etc? Any advice or suggestions will be warmly welcomed and greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance to all of you in what looks like an outstanding forum for all things about shaving! :thumbup1:

You will hear and read a lot- first two things I learned

1. Take you time and be patient (DO NOT RUSH ANYTHING)
2. Never run a blade across your face without a proper lubrication layer between your skin and the blade :a47: this also goes for multi passes- razor burn is never fun- with or without an alum bar

Welcome! You'll find newcomers to this "hobby" are generally treated with empathy and compassion. :smile: If you haven't already, be sure to read Leisureguy's guide to shaving as well as my video series (part 1 here; check the link in my signature to see the rest).

--Mark
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhIy9rgWQU[/YOUTUBE]

Welcome, BananasRUS

+1 What Mark said! Both he and Michael have lots of useful information to offer!

Enjoy yourself... and, the luxury of wetshaving! :thumbup1:

See you around the board!

Tchau,
chop-chop

BananasRUs
1. Watch all of Mantic's videos they are a must see for anyone starting in the Wetshaving world.

1a. Start with a brush (there are some good starter brushes Savile Rows, Crabtree and Evelyn, Shavemac Pure/Fine, etc..)

2. When you purchase a DE razor make sure you order a Sampler Pack of blades from LetterK

3. To get a sample for creams contact Scotto

Welcome to B&B Enjoy and the ride!!

Welcome! I am on my third month DE shaving and continuously watch Mantic's (Mark's) videos and read Leisureguy's blog- they are an incredible source of information and tutelage.

As stated before, be patient, go slow and enjoy your shave. If this means keeping your multiblade a little while and using a brush and some good cream or soap - so be it.

But, I think the most important aspect of this forum is to ask questions, many questions. The people here are very friendly and willing to help. Don't be afraid to take advantage of this.

Enjoy your shave!

Jeff

BananasRUS,
Another welcome to our forum, glad to have you with us. All of the above posts have offered sage and sound advice. Keep looking around, reading and learning. There is more friendly advice when you ask for it, so enjoy and let us know how you are progressing.
Happy Shaving,

Welcome aboard! You've found the place. You'll be hackin' through wiskers with a straight before you know it! :biggrin:

Welcome to B&B! Grab yourself a Merkur HD (Heavy Classic), some nice cream or a soap, and a brush and you'll be off and running.
I like the Shavemac brushes, particularly the 501 that I use.
I personally use Geo. F. Trumper's shaving soaps (Limes, Rose and Coconut) and Trumper's Coconut shaving Cream. Nice products and they last a long time.
:shaving:

Top Bottom