What's new

Storing creams in a different container

Guessing here: would imagine that squeezing it from the tube into a tub would increase the surface area and shorten shelf-life to some degree. Mixing? Best of both? Worst of both? No idea!

I don't think you would hurt the cream as long as you kept the container size reasonable. Don't put a 2.5oz tube of cream in a big ziploc container, choose a small one to keep the exposed area smaller. You will be exposing it all to the air quickly as you sqeeze it out, but that shouldn't be a big problem as I still all my tub creams when I get them and haven't run into issues.

As far as mixing, I would compare ingredients first and I would also check to make sure they are compatible by mixing a little of each and setting them aside for a day or two and then trying to use them for a shave. If they break each other down or the scent isn't what you thought it would be, at least you haven't wasted two good creams.

Don't worry about dryout. You can always add a teaspoon of water, shake and let it sit for a little while. You can also leave the lid cracked to dry out overly moist cream. Not a problem.

I've revived dried, cracked, three year old soap with no problem.

As for mixing creams, the biggest thing to watch for is just chemical reactions. I'd be very concerned about mixing "modern" products with all their synthetic ingredients, but I'd feel safe mixing the kind of natural products you find most often in this community.

I'd feel especially safe mixing within one brand, cuz the chemical mix would be pretty close outside of fragrance.

Don't worry about dryout. You can always add a teaspoon of water, shake and let it sit for a little while. You can also leave the lid cracked to dry out overly moist cream. Not a problem.

I've revived dried, cracked, three year old soap with no problem.

As for mixing creams, the biggest thing to watch for is just chemical reactions. I'd be very concerned about mixing "modern" products with all their synthetic ingredients, but I'd feel safe mixing the kind of natural products you find most often in this community.

I'd feel especially safe mixing within one brand, cuz the chemical mix would be pretty close outside of fragrance.

already put omega and old spice into a lil ramekin with a lid, i'd like to keep all of my soaps and few creams in similar looking containers just for asthetics, and honestly if it all goes to crap i wouldnt mind too much omega and old spice are definately not on the top of my list.

I only mix different creams on the bowl or on my face so cannot comment on the combination of different products in a new container. As far as transferring creams to other containers I would pay close attention to the quality and air-tightness of them. I usually have several food-grade plastic small tubs (1 or 2 oz) that I can use for that purpose. Any camping supply store would be a good place to obtain them. I agree that if a cream dries out it can be re-hydrated but you might as well avoid that in the first place. I remember a batch of Trumper samples that arrived at my house already dry because of the containers they used.

Top Bottom