What's new

Setting bevel with 600

Anyone use a DMT 600 for fast bevel setting? I have a 220/600 on the way and I'm trying to determine if I'm absolutely going to need a 1200 or if I can use the 600?

600 would work but it leaves some pretty deep scratches which you would need something to progress onto. So you would need a 1000K or 1200 before continuing because there would need to close the gap between your next stone.

I consider a 600 as a correction stone.

FWIW, I have always used a DMT 1200 prior to any coticule honing, even if it's a few passes. I've used the 600 but never reached adequate results from a coticule (or jnat for that matter) unless I spend extra time on the half strokes.

So, 600 to coticule with slurry wouldn't be advisable for eBay razors?
That is what I do. If I need something faster than a Coticule, for working out visible damage and frowns, I reach for a DMT-F (600 grit). It's no problem, just make sure that the DMT is broken in well. When it arrives, take a slurry stone, rub a thick slurry on the DMT, and give it a decent workout with the flat part of a chisel or a cabinet scraper (or something similar). Afterwards, the DMT should feel completely uniform in surface texture.

Kind regards,
Bart

Mark and Bart,

Thanks, both, for the advice. I'm going to try Bart's slurry technique and see if I can de-grit the 600 a bit when it arrives. If I can make it work, that would be ideal, as I wanted a lapping/bevel repair stone in one.

That is what I do. If I need something faster than a Coticule, for working out visible damage and frowns, I reach for a DMT-F (600 grit). It's no problem, just make sure that the DMT is broken in well. When it arrives, take a slurry stone, rub a thick slurry on the DMT, and give it a decent workout with the flat part of a chisel or a cabinet scraper (or something similar). Afterwards, the DMT should feel completely uniform in surface texture.

Kind regards,
Bart
I do the same thing, a coticule (or 1K synthetic) takes out the 600 scratches in minutes. No worries.

I've honed dozens of razors going only from my 600 to coti with slurry. I just make sure it shaves arm hair coming off the 600 and proceed. If it doesn't shave arm hair then I spend a couple rounds on the coti with heavy slurry until it does before proceeding with the dilucot method.

Seems to work just fine for me.

+1. I successfully go from a dmt 600 to BBW w/ slurry no problem too.

Kind regards,
Bart

I got my first run on the 600 DMT today. I used Bart's suggestion to run a flat file over it with some slurry. It turned out to be a lot smoother than I thought it was going to be. I had the idea that it was going to feel like rough sandpaper, but it felt smooth with some draw. Even the 220 side felt smoother than I thought it would to the touch, although I haven't used that side for anything yet.

I found that it was pretty easy to make a nice tight, even bevel. I already shaved today, so I won't be able to do any testing until tomorrow, but I think the DMT is going to be a big help to me.

Going to break mine in this way before I use it next. Will that work with the interrupted surface DMT? Assuming I use something wide enough to not catch in the little holes?

Going to break mine in this way before I use it next. Will that work with the interrupted surface DMT? Assuming I use something wide enough to not catch in the little holes?

Just pull out some dull kitchen knives and give them a go. Should break it in nicely.

Top Bottom