What's new

fixing a wavy strop...

Hey guys,

How would you guys fix a slightly wavy strop? The strop is flat, but there's a spot where the razor sort of looses good contact with the strop. The strop was shipped curled up so maybe it create a slight wave. Any suggestion?

thanks!

JF

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
JF,
I find that they can be carefully "molded" back into shape with the hands. First I start at the top and with my forefinger underneath and the strop laying over it, just draw my hand downward slightly bending the strop over my fingers. I am sort of forcing a gentle curve into it, opposite and low areas. I repeat this a few times. I then start at the top again, slightly pinching the strop into a gentle bow, side to side (higher center, lower edges) between my fingers and thumband draw my hand down again a few times forming a gentle crown. This will flatten easily under the weight of stropping.

Being a natural material leather will move a bit day to day and even hanging may change shape slightly. I find leathers like Latigo will respond well to the shaping and woerking as the oils and waxes keep it pliable.

For the record I have never had great results from the rolling/rubbing with a bottle trick. Most materials need to be over bent to correct straightness or flatness issues. The bottle trick will force it flat but the elastic nature of most materials requires one go beyond that point for it to remember the new position and for it not to just spring back to where it was.

Tony

If Tony's method doesn't work there is always the nuclear option. Soak the strop in water till soaked and then allow to dry SLOWLY at room temp. This is a last resort type of thing of course. Then you need to condition the strop really good afterwards and you will probably have major staining in the strop. I would only use this option if you are faced with being unable to use the strop again.

I haven't decided how to approach it yet. The strop is really really stiff, almost like a piece of wood and has zero draw. My Kanayama 30k has a lot more draw at this point.

My only strop is a vintage one I got from my wife's uncle. It was dry, stroed folded in half for who knows how long, and was kinked. No draw, super dry and almost flaky on the surface.

I washed it with saddle soap and then soaked it in neetsfoot oil. Like rreally soaked, made a boat/package out of tin foil, filled it with oil and laid the strop in. Enough oil that the strop was submerged. Left it for 24 hours and it had damn near absorbed all the oil. Wiped it off real good and hung it up for another day or 2. It is now a luscious dark brown, super soft, nice draw and is usable. Best of all the big kink in the middle is gone.

I just won a old Horse Hide Barber's strop In pretty good shape with similar conditions dry with minor distortions these tips will be very helpful will it arrives thanx - Blade Boy

Top Bottom