What's new

WOT: Dating pickle for Valentine's Day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've either had a girlfriend, or been completely single on V Day. Nothing in between. But I just started dating this chick. Met her a couple weeks ago, and went on a couple of dates. Now here's the pickle...how do you go about V Day in this situation? Don't wanna come off too strong, but don't wanna look like a douche, and do nothing. My friend suggest me to buy a not too expensive necklace similarEDIT for her. Good or not? Share your almighty wisdom HCAF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, don't buy her anything but a nice dinner and some flowers if you've only been dating for a little while. A dozen roses and dinner is easy on the wallet!

You don't want to come off to serious and scare her off.

P.S Make some reservations at a nice place cause valentines is busy. Plus it'll look like you put some thought into it too.

A dozen roses and dinner is easy on the wallet!

Don't know what prices are like in the US but a dozen roses here around V day will cost far more than a $22 necklace - like $66 for the roses plus dinner!

V day is no something I've ever done anything for - Hallmark Holiday is a con, I love my now wife for 20+ years and that is the same 365 days of the year. I give her gifts year round, not when prices are at their peak due to commercial interests!

RESIST!!!!!!!

+1 flowers and a date. Maybe not long-stemmed roses, but pick something out that you think she'd like, and explain why you chose them when you give them to her (example: these daisies reminded me of you in that white dress you have). A personal touch adds value, but not a scary 'he must have spent a lot of money on me' or 'he's too serious' value, which is what you want to avoid early in the relationship.

Dinner at a good restaurant is a good safe call if you're still in the "getting to know you" stage. I'd be inclined to forget the flowers UNLESS you've decided you want to move the relationship up a notch.

YUp. Perfect time for a really nice dinner. If you want to do a little more then buy one of those tiny boxes of chocolate that contain just two really really good chocolates and give that to her as you kiss her goodnight.

Also, and no offense to your friend, but the necklace looks like it costs only 20dollars or so. It's ok, it would be a "token", but chances are she would never wear it. Jewellery is a very personal gift and should be done much later on in a relationship. It would be a bit of a keepsake but would be a risky buy.

Oh and the chocolates have a bit of a nice catch to them. After dinner, and the kiss goodnight, if she's looking to bring things further she might offer you in for a coffee so you can share the chocolates. You know:
"would you like to maybe come in and we can have one each? I'll make some coffee...".

Though if it were me I'd hog the two for myself :lol:

Get a tattoo with her name on it. Maybe something smaller and more tasteful since you've just started dating. I think it would be a little tacky to bring it up directly, but I see no problem with wearing a tank top to the date, subtly flexing your bicep and maybe flashing a wink when she sees the new ink on your arm.

Get a tattoo with her name on it. Maybe something smaller and more tasteful since you've just started dating. I think it would be a little tacky to bring it up directly, but I see no problem with wearing a tank top to the date, subtly flexing your bicep and maybe flashing a wink when she sees the new ink on your arm.

This is the best post I've read in at least two weeks.

A dozen roses and dinner easy on the wallet? Guess it depends on the wallet. Where I live a dozen roses in a vase with filler and a nickel box of candy scares the hell out a hundred dollars. As for dinner, if you can get out of a white tablecloth for less than $200.00, you're doing good.

I am (was) a notoriously cheap date. Had nothing to do with sex. I just could not spend a lot of dough on a casual acquaintance. Now if you've got buckets of cash and don't mind seeming a bit weird, go ahead push the boat out and spend a fortune.

Seriously, don't buy her anything but a nice dinner and some flowers if you've only been dating for a little while. A dozen roses and dinner is easy on the wallet!

P.S Make some reservations at a nice place cause valentines is busy. Plus it'll look like you put some thought into it too.

Exactly, dont go overboard. Even a simple nice dinner, drinks and a movie is more than most guys will do these days.

Just get her a charm bracelet with a little silver Tommy gun (for the Chicago version of St.Valentine's Day celebrations) and maybe one of the head of St. Valentine ( Claudius took a liking to this prisoner – until Valentinus tried to convert the Emperor – whereupon this priest was condemned to death. He was beaten with clubs and stoned; when that failed to kill him, he was beheaded outside the Flaminian Gate.)

And/or a bee (patron saint of beekeepers) and maybe a charming little plague-ridden corpse (Patronage: plague, epilepsy)

ummm... maybe better to go with the Hallmark version, based on the revisionist ramblings of Geoffrey Chaucer?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
YUp. Perfect time for a really nice dinner. If you want to do a little more then buy one of those tiny boxes of chocolate that contain just two really really good chocolates and give that to her as you kiss her goodnight.

Also, and no offense to your friend, but the necklace looks like it costs only 20dollars or so. It's ok, it would be a "token", but chances are she would never wear it. Jewellery is a very personal gift and should be done much later on in a relationship. It would be a bit of a keepsake but would be a risky buy.

Oh and the chocolates ... if it were me I'd hog the two for myself :lol:

I'll "+1" Babs' advice.

Spend whatever money you are going to spend, on quazity; that necklace reeks of "made in China cheap-@$$ $h!t", so the $22 you spend just went down the drain.

If you have just been dating a couple of times, she'll be tickled pink that you want to spend V-day with her and take her out to a nice dinner. A year from now if you are still together then you get her a real present.

... oh, and "double-barrelled chocolate hog" seems like a really nice custom title for someone ... :tongue_sm

+lots on a nice dinner, objects are nice to remember over time, but events are better early on. Spend the ca$h on the dinner, ask her if she has a preference, TELL her what time you will pick her up, let her know if the place is casual or dressy (you will ruin a girl's entire night if she feels over/under dressed somewhere), and make sure to mention that you look forward to your dinner with her and her company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom