What's new

50/60's formal attire?

Gentlemen,
I am going to a social event TONIGHT whereat I am expected to wear a SEMIFORMAL 50's or 60's outfit. As of last night I found out that it is to be SEMIformal.......

What kind of look is this exactly?

If you could post links to pictures or videos, that would be great. I was told that the ballroom scene from west side story would be helpful, but I can't find it anywhere.

EDIT: SORRY, SEMIFORMAL, not formal.

Last edited:
Formal has not changed since then. For an evening event it is either Black or White tie-

You can rent a tux in an hour.

Oh, you know what, I should not have said formal, it is actually

SEMIFORMAL.

So a tux would be too much. I need to wear a tie though.
When did the black pants and baby blue jacket, white shirt and bow tie come in? Am I thinking a different decade?

Gotta go to the store to see what I can find....... but still no ideas!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Semi-Formal traditionally meant "Black Tie" which is a dinner suit (or tuxedo for our North American friends). Formal is White Tie (which is a tails coat and associated white wear).
Check with other invitees and see what they plan on wearing- in any case, I would rather be over (or appropriately)-dressed than in the majority.

Youtube some clips of James Bond Dr. No ;-)

ALWAYS a good way to figure out formal wear from 60's to 2000.

Thank you gentlemen. I have been watching those james bond videos like crazy. Looks a lot like what I would have worn had they told me to just wear my favourite suit and tie!

I'll have to try to find myself a fedora now!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Mr. S:
According to "Ask Men...Become a Better Man" and I agrre that "Semiformal is still formal. Semiformal specifications can be tricky; make sure the person sending the invitations really means “informal” and not “casual” -- you don’t want to be the odd one out".

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip_250/293b_fashion_advice.html

Evening Time Semiformal

"For evening weddings or the theater, here is the correct attire: a tuxedo jacket, black trousers with one satin seam, a black cummerbund or vest, a black bow tie, black or gold studs or cuff links, and a white silk scarf".

Day Time Semiformal

"Day semiformal is most likely the way you'd dress for a day wedding. This look traditionally consists of a gray morning coat (cutaway), gray or black striped trousers, a gray double-breasted vest, a gray tie or pinned ascot, gray gloves, a top hat and spats, a white boutonniere, pearl cuff links, and studs. Nowadays, unless you're in the wedding party, you're not required to appear so dressed up. Instead, opt for a light-colored suit and tie combination and you'll fit right in".

Semiformal

"Tuxes are not required at a semiformal event, but any evening event still calls for a dark suit at the very least. Also, today's fashion world dictates that ties are not absolutely necessary to complete the look at a semiformal event".

Types of Formal Attire

proxy.php
proxy.php

Christopher
proxy.php

Last edited:
Regardless of any old "traditional" meanings, these days in the U.S. semi-formal has always been met by a dark suit, and formal is where the tuxedo comes in. A higher degree of formal would be white tie, but white tie is usually specifically specified if that is what is requested.

Put on your best dark suit, maybe a carnation, lots of Brylcreem :w00t:, and you should be fine. It is always acceptable to wear a tux to a semi-formal event, however. The bonus of that is that many folks will figure you're off to some dashing event later that night.

Top Bottom