What's new

bos

$22.00 and I will gladly pay you on Tuesday! :tongue:

Seriously though how well do the Bostonians shave?

They shave really well, really really well. I find that it is my second favourite razor after my slants. Actually, some days, I even prefer the Bostonian to the slant. And so I would compare the Bostonian very favourably with the Merkur slant. The Bostonian will generally provide me with BBS in two to three passes with zero irritation. I suppose that they would be considered, or at least I would consider them rather aggressive. They are just great for people with soft skin and heavy beards. Actually, they are great for everyone I would think.

In addition to providing a fabulous shave, they have another completely unique point in their favour: they came in a box that had a mechanism that raised the razor up when the box is opened. The razor sits flat on a platform, and when the box is closed, the platform lowers into the bottom of the box, and when the lid is opened the platform raises up and "presents" the razor. Very cool. I've put pictures of my gold Bostonian and its box at the end of this post.

I don't know the history, but I have a notion that the Bostonians were produced from 1920 to 1930, mine have a patent date of January 13, 1920 engraved on the bottom of the handle.

I have a pet theory that in the early years of safety razors Gillette set up their safety razors to shave very much like the straight razors that men were used to. And I am thinking that over the years that razors started to get rather mild until the Superspeeds of the 1950's to 1960's which were so mild as to make it very difficult to get a BBS shave. Anyway, that's my theory.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummm...you don't have an extra one you'd consider selling do you? If not I'd appreciate you giving me a heads up if you ever come across a nice one!

Doesn't matter! Whatever it is I've got it bad! :biggrin: I'm even looking for razor acquisitions in the Test thread now! Lord help us all!! :w00t:

Actually, I am very surprised to find that this turned into an active thread, all I wanted to do was figure out how to post a picture!

Here is a better picture of the gold Bostonian.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom