What's new

First Straight shave = Great Success

Last week I received my first straight and a poor man's strop kit from whipped dog. Larry gave top notch service and what seems to this noob a very fine edge. I was hesitant to try the straight before going out of town last weekend, but was ready and raring to go when I got back to the peach state.

Yesterday came and I was anxious to begin. I enlisted the aid of the Simpson Colonel and the almighty Tabac and created a very thick and cushioning lather to save me from myself w/ a 3" blade. :lol: It was then time for the 5/8 Imperial square point to get to work...

After all was said and done my shave was not particularly close, but was VERY comfortable. I had no irritation, cuts, or weepers. I don't want to sound brazen, and I'm sure the square point will humble me, but the angle seemed fairly intuitive and I don't expect too massive a learning curve.:001_smile

All facial features are still attached, no blood was shed, and I am very excited to continue in straight shaving. Uh-oh, is that SRAD I feel creeping in on me...

Congrats on a good shave. I too went for comfort over bbs early on. My shaves are still getting progressively better.Watch the square point though, I started with one too and after wondering what all the fuss was about got a nice inch long crease on my chin. :blushing: I didn't even feel it. :lol:

Watch as many shaving (good ones) videos as you can. I've been SR shaving for quite sometimes, but I still watch shaving videos on a regular basis.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You reside in a very small percentile of folks who had great success on their first attempt. The tricky part is repeating it again and again (see post #5).

Overconfidence is your enemy.

I am considering getting my first straight so it is encouraging to hear you had such success so soon.

Success is relative. I've read so many scary beginner posts that I had this whole thing built up as insurmountable in my mind. I'm glad I can write a beginner post that offers hope.

2 shaves in and I'm thinking, "with a little time, I'll be able to do this very well". My 2nd shave was a very good one. Close, comfortable, and presentable. I did give myself a few nicks when I failed to keep track of the spike.:blushing:

Straight razor shaving is cutting the hair off your face with a sharp piece of metal, just like DE or SE shaving. The straight is just longer and you have full control. You'll be fine.

P.S. A round tip might be a better starter razor :lol:

Success is relative. I've read so many scary beginner posts that I had this whole thing built up as insurmountable in my mind. I'm glad I can write a beginner post that offers hope.

2 shaves in and I'm thinking, "with a little time, I'll be able to do this very well". My 2nd shave was a very good one. Close, comfortable, and presentable. I did give myself a few nicks when I failed to keep track of the spike.:blushing:

Straight razor shaving is cutting the hair off your face with a sharp piece of metal, just like DE or SE shaving. The straight is just longer and you have full control. You'll be fine.

P.S. A round tip might be a better starter razor :lol:

Thanks. And I probably am going for a thinner, hollow, round tip for my first even thought the big 8/8 spike points look awesome.

Top Bottom