What's new

polishing: wet or dry sand?

When polishing a blade and transitioning from coarse to fine grits, do you wet the sandpaper or use it dry? Thank you in advance.

thanks wild. i went to the auto parts store can got a variety of waterproof sandpaper. i got 400, 600, 1000, and 1500. this is my first polishing job, so i will just try it out and see how it goes.

Legion

Staff member
This is an interesting question. I was sanding a blade last night and I was doing both, trying to work out what was faster, at least in the courser grains.

Short answer. I don't know.

But on the fine grains I think it will give you a better finish wet.

1500 is going to leave a satin finish, so plan your strokes so they all line up and move from edge to edge in the same direction. Do not start or finish a stroke in the middle if you are finishing the job with 1500. It can be a really cool effect.

In other word start at the tang, then move to and off the tip, then repeat starting at the tang again. This way all your scratches line up to a very nice effect.

If you are going to compound for a mirror finish then this is not nearly as important.

Phil

that's great advice. i haven't considered whether on not i will be using a polishing compound. i figure i will transition through my papers and see where i am regarding the finish. thank you to everyone for their great advice!

1500 is going to leave a satin finish, so plan your strokes so they all line up and move from edge to edge in the same direction. Do not start or finish a stroke in the middle if you are finishing the job with 1500. It can be a really cool effect.

In other word start at the tang, then move to and off the tip, then repeat starting at the tang again. This way all your scratches line up to a very nice effect.

If you are going to compound for a mirror finish then this is not nearly as important.

Phil

You can also run your finish in any direction you choose, but the stroke will be shorter and require more effort.

You could also do swirls by using a twisting motion, but setting a pattern can be a challange. I also don't know if one twist will eliminate the previous pattern on steel like it can on aluminum (think 'Spirit of St Louis' cowel)

Phil

I use mineral oil when sanding a blade. The paper doesnt load as fast, and I think its faster and gives better results.

I was reading a knife forum the other day and they claimed that "cool tool 2" increased sanding speed by about 30%. Don't know if its true, but I may pick some up someday. I'd definitely give it a try if I could find a pint locally.

Top Bottom