What's new

Did boar brushes work well with soaps and badger brushes with cream?

1. If you use a boar brush with shaving cream can you waste more cream?

2. If you use badger brush with a hard shaving soap can you wear out prematurley the badger brush?

I use the same amount of cream to both boars and badgers and badgers are build to handle a hard soap.

I use any boars and badgers to both soaps and creams without using any specific brushes to only specific products.

I don't think such broad generalizations are all that useful. Specific brushes may be better suited to soaps or creams. I use both my Rooney 2/1 and Semogue custom boar with soaps and both work very well.

I use both of my brushes (an Edwin Jagger best and a Semogue custom boar) with soap and the occasional cream and both work fine.

It isn't as simple as that. In a vague general way badgers tend to get better results with creams and boars tend to be easier with soaps. When I went from mainly creams to mainly soaps I also went back to boars but at the same time both type of brushes are capable of making decent lather out of any latherable product. Lots of personal preferences involved here.

Or, according to the B&B way, YMMV!

I prefer boar over badger... may be its my preference, but badger don't bring me decent lather because I have a cheap 15 $ badger..

Boars work a little better with soaps because the bristles are a bit firmer, but at the end of the day there isn't enough difference to lay awake worrying about it. I think this is one of those areas that may, perhaps, provide a rough guide to what is relatively important on the one hand, and slightly obsessive on the other!

Personally both my badgers lather soap or cremes, my boar does the same. Personally it is in the control of water that I am able to get equal results.

I have seen this topic come up a couple of times lately and no, boar is not inherently more suited to soaps versus creams, nor vice versa for badger. I use badger 90% of the time and prefer hard soaps. It's just technique.

Like most here, both can do a fine job with either soap or cream. But I think boars need to be broken in a bit before they do as well with creams...so if you have a brand new boar and are disappointed with the way it handles creams, give it a little time.

I have a couple badger brushes that have enough backbone for lathering soaps. But, usually I use my boar brushes for soaps. It really depends on the brush density and backbone, I think. My first brush was a Simpson Commodore X2(badger) and it will do both creams and soaps very well. I had a Kent BK4 (badger) that was so soft I found it hard to get soap to lather. My Vie-Long 13061 horse brush can also lather both soaps and creams well. The product reviews on this site are helpful when selecting a brush. I do not see any difference in regards to degradation of badger when used with soaps.

I have my favorite brushes for various soaps or creams, but the bottom line is that any brush will work with any soap/cream with a little bit of practice.

Top Bottom