What's new

compact .45 cal

Sorry, this isn't true, I wear shorts or jeans in FL depending on season, and shortsleeve button down dickies year round with no trouble. And many of us carry because of our work, not where we live.

very, Very, VERY Well said:thumbup:

I never understood how people that have never done something, never had to and have no experience with (whatever the subject may be) seem to know everything there is to know about the subject..., what you can do, what you can not do, what will work, what will not work, etc, etc, etc.,
But on the other hand, the person that does have experience, training, knowledge etc. on (said subject) and uses it on a daily basis seems to know nothing about it and only arm chair warriors have an answer and it can only work one way or not at all.
You have to remember, 12 months out of the year I wore a custom Colt 45ACP and 2 extra magazines, a 38sp and a 5 shot 22 Naa mini revolver. 3 guns, 2 extra mags and only needed a pair of pants, long or short, a T-shirt and a button down shirt that was for the most of the time left open (unless it was very windy at the time and this was with technology of 20 - 25 years ago. There is a lot nicer, easier to hide holsters now than there was back then.
No one ever saw a gun, an outline of a gun or even had any idea I had a gun (much less 3 + 2 extra mags.)

Why so much?
The same reason I have a fire extinguisher and fire alarm in almost every room. It is ONLY a piece of emergency equipment.
You hope you never need it. You hope you never have to use it..., HOWEVER- "if" you do "need" it, it is there. It is ready to be used. It is all bigger and more than "needed"..., However, I would much rather have extra equipment that I did not need and did not have to use than to need it and not only not have it, but know you "could have" used what you have and it is somewhere else, like in a safe, under a pillow, etc because it was "too hot" or "too cold" or "too heavy" or "today everything feels good".
It is an emergency piece of equipment, the fire extinguisher, the fire alarm, the gun, holster and ammo.
They may sit as long as you live, in one place, never used, so would it be a waste of money or is it more like insurance, buying yourself piece of mind?
Would it be better to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it? I prefer to go the way of safe, prepared, ready than to be on the list of "let's just hope for the best".
Today, how the world is, you can not..., I say again, YOU CAN NOT be "Too" prepared.
If you do not ever need "something- whatever it may be, but you have it "if needed", you are prepared. But as soon as you need it and do not have it, who will be the one to pay the consequences?
You? Your wife? Mother? Kids? Best friend? Neighbor? People standing around?

IMO..., again, it is "MY Opinion" (and everyone can have their own, they can have a different one, the same one or something totally different). When the "you know what" hits the fan, I would like to be as prepared as I can and if it means I have to carry a whole extra 2 or 3 pounds, well, to me it is worth it to be "prepared" (I also have a lighter, matches, water, band aids and just a whole lot of stuff I hope I will never need or use, but today's statistic proves that most of us are going to need some type of emergency equipment and some emergency help..., but who? ..., and what will they need? ..., when will it be needed?

My last thought- Is it not better to be prepared and not need it than to need and not have (especially when you think a million times- AFTER the fact "I wish I would have...," (whatever it is).

Being ready and being prepared is not paranoia, today, it is a fact of life and just a matter of time.:blush:

whatever.. I was answering the OP who didn't seem all that experienced. Not sure why you would need to carry concealed if it's for work? i suppose undercover leo, private security, etc.. but, I assumed the OP wasn''t carrying professionally or he wouldn't be asking on a shave forum. that's why they make so many didn't firearms so everyone can carry whatever does it for them.

BTW, how do you know what anyone has or has not done? you boys have fun beating your chest and proclaiming yours is better than everyone else's.

whatever.. I was answering the OP who didn't seem all that experienced. Not sure why you would need to carry concealed if it's for work? i suppose undercover leo, private security, etc.. but, I assumed the OP wasn''t carrying professionally or he wouldn't be asking on a shave forum. that's why they make so many didn't firearms so everyone can carry whatever does it for them.

BTW, how do you know what anyone has or has not done? you boys have fun beating your chest and proclaiming yours is better than everyone else's.
Because I sell expensive things that unpleasant people might want to take from me by force?

I think the glock 27 is perfect for cc....very small,very accurate,loaded with the proper bullets a very capable vermin stopper,but most of all,as elmer keith's testing crew found out awhile back,it's the most reliable semi-auto out there.....if I wanted anything more reliable I would carry a colt snubnose agent ,loaded with hollowpoints....only 6 shots,but it works every time you drop the hammer..

I've been reading and considering all the posts since I started this thread. Thank-you all for your insight.

A little background. I learned to shoot and handle a handgun in the Marines as an MP. Then we carried Colt .45. Did that and infantry for 8 yrs.
Later I became a cop and we carried .357 revolvers and later the S&W 4516. Off duty, I carried those as well. That was another 7 yrs. of experience.

So I do have some experience with handguns. I've been away from law enforcement for quite some time and frankly, away from guns also.

So now the work environment has changed and I'm a barber. Injuries prevent me from doing my previous job.

As to why anyone would need to carry at work. The shop I work in is in the borderline "hood". Not a bad location, but certainly not ideal, either. We have every walk of life come in, from attorneys and doctors to cops and firemen, retired folks to school kids. We also, however, have the crackheads and drug dealers, people laid off and some who have no desire to work. The common denominator is that they all get their hair cut.

This is a cash business. Sometimes, on a busy day, lots of cash. For about half the year when we go to work or leave, it's dark. We have a bar, liquor store, and discount tobacco store on the other corners. For some reason (?) people like hanging out in those areas.

Last week we had a couple guys walk in trying to sell cologne out of cardboard boxes. Hmmm. Don't get me wrong. There are a lot of hard working people in the area. They aren't the ones we're worried about. It's the opportunistic clown who for some reason may decide to bounce in and get some fast cash that we worry about.

Until I make a final decision, a police friend of mine has loaned me a S&W airweight .38 that fits in my back pocket just fine. Since the top of my trousers are covered by a shirt and/or smock, no one sees it. So I am in no great rush or undue pressure to buy something tomorrow.

I just wish the gun shop with the range wasn't in another town and had a wider variety of guns to try.

So, thank-you all for your opinions and at a few points, lively debate. Lots to consider.

Kev

Years ago there was a combined barber shop/gunstore near where I live. You could even go into the back room and try the gun, shooting into a huge stump!! I would oogle the guns while waiting for the haircut. Sadly, he retired and closed the shops.

I live in florida and carry everyday. I either have a Beretta 22a in 22lr if I just run to the store. Mostly, I carry a Kahr PM9 or a S&W 637. I recently acquired a Rock Island compact .45. I will be carrying that soon. Here are some pics.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Commander fan here, but I think all the firearms mentioned so far are good ones.

Just remember, the .380 or .38 snubby you have with you is a much better tool when you need it than the .45 or .40 that you left at home because it's a pain in the butt to lug around. Be realistic with what you are willing to put up with in regards to size, weight and inconvenience.

So true. At first you may deal with the uncomfortable larger more powerful firearm, but over time it becomes a hassle and eventually it gets left behind due to weight and size. Then it is of very little use. The .380 offers a wide variety of choices and not-so insubstantial ammunition. Most CWC folk would not feel comfortable with anything smaller than the .380 ammo.

My CWC is a Walther PPK/S in .380 (Interarms version). Personally I want a handgun that is accurate, reliable, can quickly field strip sans tools and the PPK does all this well. There are many other fine specimens and I also like the Sig P232 and its predecessor the P230. In the end, the quality and craftsmanship of the firearm are the most important factors. When you pull the trigger it had better go bang.

Have you considered a Para-Ordinace Warthog? I had the opportunity to shoot one of these last year and really liked it. The double-action seems to be especially smooth.

http://www.paraord.com/new/product_hawg.php

DL

I had an earlier version, called the P-10 in stainless. It was first very heavy when empty much less loaded with ten rounds. Second that short grip although very wide, ate the palm of my hand up. The bottom corner would just dig in and hurt. I got rid of it and got an alloy frame Kimber ultra carry, and later a Para PDA/LDA, same size and weight as the Kimber but double action.

I just followed your link and did some looking to verify something. THe Hawg series is single, not double action. The Para models that are double action have the suffix LDA after the name/model.

I'm with you on the J frame. I have a hammerless, double action only, scandium framed model I use for summer pocket carry. It's so light and small that the hotter +p loads plain hurt my hand. I would prefer more weight but it is so light it does not pull my pants down like a heavier gun.

It's probably the most concealable and handiest gun I have.

My choice is a snub nose colt agent with factory hammer shroud,6 rounds instead of 5,only a fraction of an inch wider at cylinder,will function for short times with plus p,the single action pull was like butter from the factory !...cylinder turns to the right ,instead of the left..I keep 4 rounds of extreme shock "energy transfer" ammo up front,and the last two to fire are cci hollow points

I've been looking for a conceal handgun. Guy I work with in the barber shop keeps a Glock 40 sub compact tucked.
We were at the gun shop looking around and I saw two compact .45s I really liked. Any personal experience on them would be appreciated.
The Springfield micro-compact, Kimber Ultra Carry II, and the Kimber Pro-Carry II.

I had to carry .45's in the Marines a long time ago, so it's not as if I'm unfamiliar with them.

In the 40 cal, I'm leaning hard toward the Sig 239. We were shooting 40s that day. Didn't even look at the 45's until after we were done shooting.

Thanks for any input.

Kev

Carrying is about weight. The more weight you carry, the faster you tire. If you ever get home thinking "my feet/back/knees/etc" hurt, you will think it even more so and you will start to blame the hurt on the firearm. A lot of people cave in and stop carrying. Or just keep buying firearms until they find something they like.

Lets see a few firearms and their weights-

The new Ruger 1911 is 43oz, plus 6.7oz for 8rds is 49.7oz or 3.1lbs

I used to carry a Glock 22 every day, 23oz plus 12oz for 15 rounds=35oz. 2.1lbs

My wife's XD9sc is 26oz, 31.4oz loaded with 10 rounds = 1.96lbs. She carries all day with no problem (511 gun belt and serpa holster)

I have my eye on the new LC9, 17.1oz, loaded with 7rds is 20.9oz or 1.3lb.

Kimber Ultra Carry II- 25oz, plus 5.9oz for 7rds is 30.9oz or 1.93lb.

Glock 26 is 19.75oz plus 6.35oz for 10rds 9mm is 26.1oz or 1.63lbs

Glock 27 is 19.75oz plus 7.23oz for 9rds .40 is 26.98oz or 1.69lbs This is what your friend carries.

Kimber Pro Carry II 28oz plus 5.9oz for 7rds is 33.9oz or 2.11lbs

SIG 239 is 29.5oz plus 5.6oz for 7rds .40 is 35.1oz or 2.19lbs

Cant seem to find the specs on the Springfield.

Last edited:
Here is my Para Nite-Hawg. 10 rounds of double-stack .45, so it has plenty of ***.
proxy.php

proxy.php

I like it but if you don't like blast and noise, this ain't the heater for you.
I won't call it ideal, but so far there is no better way to get so many big holes in something in such a compact package.
This was part of my "parts" while on the motorcycle. Just kept it in my jacket pocket.
proxy.php

Brent.

Ace, that's a Streamlight Twin-task that I have had going on 6 years now I think.
It has an incandescent as well as LED light. I can't say I recommend it though, as it seems to eat batteries, plus it's old tech so it doesn't really throw a lot of light. But it won't die dammit, and that's keeping me from the surefire, either the VTAC version, or the ED2.
I have a Streamlight Sidewinder that I sometimes carry too, but it works much better clipped to my pack rather than a pocket light.
I kinda hpped on that Streamlight bus sometime back before I discovered Surefire.
Brent.

UPDATE

I finally made my decision and bought a 1911 style Springfield EMP, 40 cal. Very comfortable in my hand and not heavy (to me). Bought it a couple weeks ago.

I finally got to the range (indoor) today for my famfire and some practice. This gun is very comfortable to shoot. Everything was going great until I notice the front site ramp had shifted to the left, half way off the slide. After my WTH moment, I secured the weapon and slid the front site right out of the dovetail on the slide. Hmmm..... So, after I secured the front site ramp, I finished my boxes of rounds, sans sight.

Other that the site thing, the gun performed flawlessly. Granted, only a hundred rounds, but it's a start.

I can't talk to you about groupings. This indoor range uses steel knock down or spinning targets, not paper.

Anyway, I'm happy with my purchase. Thanks for all your suggestions and advice.

I guess I'll be a callin' Springfield in the mornin'.

Top Bottom