What's new

Williams - I don't get it

OK, so it doesn't take long on this forum to run into the Williams issue. I bought a puck out of curiousity and because I like inexpensive.

I haven't used it yet, but I did make sure to smell it.

It does smell exactly like the non DEET insect repellents I sometimes use. It isn't unpleasant to my nose and I'm not putting it down.

So I checked the ingredients, but that's no help.

So I went and checked the "Natrapel Plus" repellent that has the same smell, but much stronger. The ingredients that would have that smell are a possible 2 : Citronella or Geraniol.

Now I'm curious if it'll also keep blackflies or other biting insects away this spring. I'm not joking about this. It might actually be a benefit. City folks might never appreciate that. Biting insects are attracted to colognes and smells like that or so it seems.

OK, so it doesn't take long on this forum to run into the Williams issue. I bought a puck out of curiousity and because I like inexpensive.

I haven't used it yet, but I did make sure to smell it.

It does smell exactly like the non DEET insect repellents I sometimes use. It isn't unpleasant to my nose and I'm not putting it down.

So I checked the ingredients, but that's no help.

So I went and checked the "Natrapel Plus" repellent that has the same smell, but much stronger. The ingredients that would have that smell are a possible 2 : Citronella or Geraniol.

Now I'm curious if it'll also keep blackflies or other biting insects away this spring. I'm not joking about this. It might actually be a benefit. City folks might never appreciate that. Biting insects are attracted to colognes and smells like that or so it seems.

All joking aside; you may have a very good point. Here in Iowa the mosquito population can get pretty nasty. Maybe it would help.....

There is no such thing as a bad shave product. Only some shave products some people don't know how to use correctly.

Williams is a shave product.

Merkur blades are a shave product.

A two week old used Derby is a shave product.

An electric razor is a shave product.

If you are failing to get a satisying result with any shave product, the problem is definitely not the product, the problem is the user.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
There is no such thing as a bad shave product. Only some shave products some people don't know how to use correctly.

If you are failing to get a satisying result with any shave product, the problem is definitely not the product, the problem is the user.

I beg to differ. There are some products that just don't work for some people. I know how to use a DE very well, but no matter what, I can't get a decent shave with Walmart Wilkinson blades.

To say that people don't get good results from a shaving product simply because they don't know how to use it is clearly baiting for a fight.

Too many of us here have the mentality that if something doesn't work for him, then it's a terrible product and no one else should be allowed to like it or use it. If you can get good results with it and like it, then you've found a good product at a cheap price. If you don't like it or get bad results, it's pretty much a waste of time to tell people that they shouldn't like it or use it.

That being said, I get good results from both modern and vintage Williams and enjoy using both. I feel that everyone should try Williams at some point.

I picked up a puck of it last week, I used it twice since then and I like it. The scent is a bit industrial and it does same some work. All in all for the price point it is pretty good stuff IMO. YMMV

I bet Williams is loving the increased exposure they're getting. I've never seen this cheap drug store soap talked up so much in all the years I've been logging on to this forum. I bet their stuff is flying off the shelves at a record pace.

There must be a reason to put Williams at the top and the electric at the bottom, don't you think? :001_rolle

To say that people don't get good results from a shaving product simply because they don't know how to use it is clearly baiting for a fight.

:lol::lol::lol:

I beg to differ. There are some products that just don't work for some people. I know how to use a DE very well, but no matter what, I can't get a decent shave with Walmart Wilkinson blades.

Fighting?

In a Williams thread?

Perish the thought, my good man!:w00t:

OldSaw

The wife's investment

So what you're saying is that anyone who can't get the same shave with an electric as they can with a straight simply doesn't know how to use the electric?

There are magnitudes of differences between products. To simply say that because someone manufactures a product everyone should be able to get good results from it is just plain wrong. There clearly are bad products out there. Generally, the good ones will be liked by more users and the bad ones by fewer. There will always be those who can't use or don't like a good product and those who love a product thought to be inferior.

There is always the possibility that someone doesn't know how to use a certain product, but to say that that is the only reason is just plain wrong.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

Two week old Derby??? I must be taking your inflamatory post way too seriously. If I could get a decent shave from a two week old Derby, I would probably never need to change that blade for the rest of my life. It would be some kind of miracle blade.

So there you go, you got me. Your post is clearly a joke and caught me off guard. :lol:

Williams Williams it's the best!
If you can use it why try the rest?
The others smell pretty but cost much more
What are you wasting your money for?
I don't throw my pennies away
I just know what Grandma would say
I shave cheaply and save my coin
Ya never know where the market's goin':tongue_sm

Jeesh....I spend the better part of three years bashing Williams as an inferior shave product, and I catch flack for doing so, and it had been suggested perhaps it's because I just don't have what it takes to be a lathermrister.

I then go on to flip flop on my position and say that there are truly no bad shave products, clearly giving the vastly underperforming Williams the benefit of the doubt, and that perhaps it was not it's waxy, plasticy puck, of quickly evaporating thin dish soap sudsyness to blame afterall, but simply user error, and I get called to task for that as well...

Williams: you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't!

Top Bottom