What's new

Where can I find Van Der Hagen glycerin?

Gents,

I'd like to find Van Der Hagen glycerin at a local brick and morter store. Which chain stores carry it?

George

I don't know if you have them in your area, but the HEB supermarkets in Houston stock the stuff.

Dave

Do you have Rite Aid and Walgreens drug stores where you live? I believe I saw the glycerin variety in those stores. Walmart also had VDH where I live, but I can't remember if it had the deluxe variety instead... (I think so).

I've never seen it in a B&M store. I bought some at the beginning of my wet shaving career from Amazon...it was like $15 for 12 pucks. Its a great soap for the price, but I have since found so many other great soaps that the VDH rarely gets any love these days. That being said I have a few pucks lying around...if you haven't tried it yet and would like to PM me your details and I'll send you a puck.

AnakiMana,

In Omaha we have Walgreen stores but no Rite Aid. I've checked out a couple of Walgreens and will continue to keep my eyes open in those stores.

Silverkarn,

The Deluxe and Glycerin are different versions of soaps from Van Der Hagen.

George

The VDH Premium (also comes with their bowl/brush kit) is advertised as being for "Dry skin - Heavy Beard".

Given this I'm gonna guess that it might have a tad more moisturizing agents in it than the Select, which is advertised as being "for normal skin - normal beard".

Last edited:
Somewhere recently, someone posted an excellent table that summarized and highlighted the differences in the ingredients for VDH's Deluxe, Glycerine and Select varieties of their shaving soap. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it. Does anyone remember where that is?

And, those are the only varieties I've heard of. What's this Premium variety I keep seeing mentioned? Has anyone seen or tried it? What are its differences, and how does it perform?

Here is some info from VDH's website:

Glycerin Shave Soap: Each hypo-allergenic Glycerin Shave Soap contains 40% moisturizers , including Vitamin E & Oat Extract to help soothe skin and protect against razor burn.

Deluxe Shave Soap: Each hypo-allergenic Deluxe Shave Soap contains 40% moisturizers, including Aloe Vera & Shea Butter to soften even the toughest beard and help maintain the skin's natural moisture. the skin's natural moisture.

Select Shave Soap: Each hypo-allergenic Select Shave Soap contains 40% moisturizers to help soften your beard for a close and comfortable shave.

There is no Premium version of the soap....there is a Premium set that includes a brush, a bowl, and a puck of Deluxe soap.

http://www.vdhent.com/

There is no Premium version of the soap
That's what I thought. But, since I kept hearing it mentioned a couple of times around here lately, I was starting to think it was either a new version, or a regional one available only in certain areas.

AnakiMana,

In Omaha we have Walgreen stores but no Rite Aid. I've checked out a couple of Walgreens and will continue to keep my eyes open in those stores.

Silverkarn,

The Deluxe and Glycerin are different versions of soaps from Van Der Hagen.

George

I know they are different versions, but i could swear that i checked the ingredients list at the store, and the ONLY difference in ingredients was Shea Butter and Aloe Vera.

Gents,

I'd like to find Van Der Hagen glycerin at a local brick and morter store. Which chain stores carry it?

George

I was just doing a search to see if this stuff is any good, just picked some up at my local fred meyer which happens to be owned by krogers. I believe Krogers also owns Bakers in the Omaha area now (I used to live in Omaha) so you may find it there.
Do you have Rite Aid and Walgreens drug stores where you live? I believe I saw the glycerin variety in those stores. Walmart also had VDH where I live, but I can't remember if it had the deluxe variety instead... (I think so).
Ironic I used to live in Omaha and now live in Kennewick, good to see I'm not the only one in town. Have you seen any other local stores that sell blades besides wal-mart and walgreens?

Ironic I used to live in Omaha and now live in Kennewick, good to see I'm not the only one in town. Have you seen any other local stores that sell blades besides wal-mart and walgreens?

Wow, it's a small world! Yes, most of our local stores have Personna blades. Yokes Fresh Market, at least in Pasco on Rd.68, has a 10-pack of Personna for $2. Rite Aid and Albertsons on Lee in Richland have Personna for around $6 per 10. The Red Apple grocery store on Washington St in Kennewick has Wilkinson Sword blades (black plastic box with white label --I think these are of different quality from the Walmart white box/white label. Winco in Richland has Williams shave soap for $0.97 but no DE blades. Also of note, although I haven't tried it, I have heard folks mention the name, Target in Kennewick has King of Shaves products (tubes of cream and/or aftershave balm I think).

As far as soap pucks, all I've found locally is VDH (Walmart, Rite Aid, Walgreens) and Williams (Winco, Red Apple, Yokes). I've only been searching our area for less than 4 weeks, so I probably missed some stores.

Top Bottom