What's new

What fun! Kidney stone!

Yikes. First one. Doc gave me some pain meds and some Flomax and wished me luck.

Anybody got any stories about how passing a stone was like frolicking with Teddy Bears and Fuzzy Bunnies in a sunlit meadow?

Tales of excruciating agony need not apply.

As a last resort, I'm thinking of massive quantities of The Veg in a manner not recommended by the manufacturer.

Oh, and to make it really fun I'm supposed to get on a plane the day after tomorrow for vacation.

"TopGumby, you've just passed an 8MM stone while reeking of Lilac Vegetal and simpering like a little girl....What next?"

"I'm going to Disneyland! Yeah!"

Ouch!

My brother passed one at Parris Island. I don't think any frolicking was involved, but he said that it wasn't the worst thing that happened to him there.

Hope the process is swift and painless.

I passed a 7mm kidney stone last year. Same with me, vicodin and Flomax. I have never experienced such aweful pain and suffering in my life. It took two weeks for mine to pass. Several times I cried like a little girl, and I think I may have even contemplated suicide. The painful part is from your kidney to your bladder. Once the stone reaches your bladder, it feels as is the weight of the world has been lifted off of you. I wouldn't recommend a kidney stone to anyone:001_smile. They say what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. I don't know if that's true but I certainly don't want to go through that again.

Funny thing is I remember when I was a little boy, my dad had one. It is etched into my brain what he went through. too bad I had to experience it as well.

Good Luck to you, and God bless.

DL

Top, by your guidlines I can't "apply". I will say if they have to use a laser to break it up being it is too big to pass..... PM me I can offer some advice! I don't envy you, good luck!

I passed a 7mm kidney stone last year. Same with me, vicodin and Flomax. It was like being caressed by a host of busty angels while soft music played in the background, only much better.

Good Luck to you, and God bless.

DL

There, fixed that for you. :sneaky2:

Last edited:
:lol: I sincerely apologize. You just need to know what to expect. I would recommend the ultrasonic or laser treatment rather than putting yourself through hell. If it becomes lodged, you'll have to get it broken up anyway.

With that being said, I feel your pain and totally sympathize with you.

DL

I know that its no excuse for being an idiot, but here goes; I am on my iPhone and really misread the o.p. My apologies go out to everybody. I would never intentionally go against the o.p.'s request. I know the damage has been done and again, I apologize.

DL

No damage at all. If'n it's as bad as you say, I've been warned, and if it goes easier, I'll feel lucky.

Seriously, as a longtime Williams user, I feel at least a little prepared....:lol::blink:

Top, I'm sure the docs told you this, but keep drinking. The more you drink, the more you keep enough flow to flush it out. I can't give you kittens and rainbows, but my first one passed very quickly, I didn't need the meds, and it made it's way outside with no muss or fuss. Also, that Flo-Max is a godsend.

Top, I'm sure the docs told you this, but keep drinking. The more you drink, the more you keep enough flow to flush it out. I can't give you kittens and rainbows, but my first one passed very quickly, I didn't need the meds, and it made it's way outside with no muss or fuss. Also, that Flo-Max is a godsend.

So in other words, he needs to medicate himself.
He could get the kittens and rainbows depending on what it is he's drinking :a54:

Last edited:
The 4 stages of a kidney stone:

1. Swearing.
2. Screaming.
3. Praying.
4. All of the above.

I hear you man. Just when you think it can't hurt more, it does.

Good luck.

Last edited:
They weren't sure if what I had was a kidney stone or not but I'll say this I don't ever want whatever it was again.

That said I knew a woman when I was in college at the time she said that she's had 2 kids and a kidney stone, she'd rather have 6 more kids then one more kidney stone. She said the kidney stone was much worse pain then giving birth.

The only condition that even women agree is worst than delivering. Take your Flomax, stay hydrated, and pray it is under 7mm. If you can tolerate them, add NSAIDs to your analgesics as it helps control pain, esp the colicky aspect.

The ER where I work is at a "quaternary" care center where the ESWL treatments (shockwave) are done for many other hospitals ... you do NOT want an obstructive stone ... double J tubes, re-imaging with radiation exposure, ESWL, passing sand, etc ...

I sincerely hope it's tiny and that you sir have ureters as wide as a LA highways :thumbup:

They weren't sure if what I had was a kidney stone or not but I'll say this I don't ever want whatever it was again.

That said I knew a woman when I was in college at the time she said that she's had 2 kids and a kidney stone, she'd rather have 6 more kids then one more kidney stone. She said the kidney stone was much worse pain then giving birth.

Kidney stone is a nightmare.

In 2010, I passed 5 stones throughtout the year without too much discomfort. I've been dealing with these things for about 30 years.

2 weeks ago I was in the emergency room for one. My blood pressure, normally very normal, was sky-high. They told me it was because I was in such pain. I passed it later that day.

You need to dilute your urine, it's as simple as that. There are no magic drinks you can take, despite what everyone will tell you. I try and get at least 3 liters of water through me every day. Medical stone analysis and a 24 hour urine collection and test can help determine what the stones are made of and what you can do to your diet and lifestyle to help.

You do have my sympathies. I've been dealing with these a long time.

Don

Kittens and Rainbows to you!

When I took my wife to the hospital for a kidney stone, the usually-sceptical ER staff was offering her pain medication first-thing, before she was through being admitted. I was impressed.

Top Bottom