What's new

Erasmic shave cream/shave stick - thoughts

I bought both erasmic cream and shave stick because - well, they were so darn inexpensive... and because I coincidently ran into them. "What the heck, I'll buy them!"

I've just tried them, for, like, 10 minutes ago. And my face is burning! This is the first time in my shaving career that my face burned during, whilst applying proraso AS balm and ten minutes after. In fact, the first time my face has burned at all.

I tried the shave stick first. Moved it around on my face, but it didn't seem that very much product stuck on there. I tried lathering up, and, as I expected, too airy lather. I tried again, with less water on the brush to start with. Slightly better, but still way too airy. I used Semogue 620 on these two tries.

Next up was the cream. I soaked my Omega boar for this purpose. Very good with creams. Anyhoo, I put the cream into the brush, and started lathering in my hand. And I was like "Man, this will become niiiiice lather!". And indeed I thought so until I put it on my face. Btw, Erasmic has an odd smell. I felt felt the lather on my face in a different way than normal. Almost as an allergic reaction. I did my first pass, and the blade was surprisingly easy to feel on the skin. Scraping, almost. Not gliding at all. I rechecked the lather. It was just fine. Thick and cushioning. When I took the razor over the same spot twice, the blade was almost lagging on the skin. This cream was not moisturising at all! Almost felt like it dried out my face!

After three passes, I had three bleeers and between four and five small "blood spots" that didn't really bleed. Applying the ASB felt burned!

Using the 620 twice on my skin with really poor lather probably didn't help:lol:

Conclusion: I wouldn't give this cream to my worst enemy. Of course, he or she might really like it. This cream is at least not for me. I am considering throwing it away, but that seems like a waste.

And about the shave stick. Seeing as my facial hair aren't fully developed, I don't really have any "beard". I suppose the beard will work as the "brush" with shave sticks. Long and harsh beard will much easier get soap off of the stick. As my hair was neither, I suppose I should save the stick for a couple of years until I'm ready to use it:lol::lol:

Over and out
Compaq :smile:

edit: I checked the ingredients of the cream, and it contains citric acid!! Is that normal? I suppose that could explain the burning. It also contained "parfum (fragrance)". There's alcohol in parfum.

Last edited:
I've only tried the non tallow version of the shave stick and found it to be the worst thing I've used to date.
I may as well have rubbed a door stop on my skin and tried to lather.

I don't know if its common in shave creams but citric acid is also known as vitamin C. Never had any truck with the stick but I have used the cream and my father uses it regularly. The cream has always been a reasonably good every day affordable cream. There are some high end creams that perform better for me, but I get good shaves with Erasmic cream.

I don't know if its common in shave creams but citric acid is also known as vitamin C. Never had any truck with the stick but I have used the cream and my father uses it regularly. The cream has always been a reasonably good every day affordable cream. There are some high end creams that perform better for me, but I get good shaves with Erasmic cream.

Citric Acid is not Vitamic C, you are thinking of Ascorbic Acid.
Are Citric Acid and Ascorbic Acid the same thing?

I bought 2 of the shave sticks off of amazon because I had bought something else and needed to qualify for free shipping. Gave one to a friend. My experience is that it totally sucks. Didn't lather worth a crap and of course I had a lousy shave to go with it. Not worth what I paid for it. Naturally it's the reformulated stuff. Williams is a better soap. And that's saying a lot.

I have a couple of the original tallow sticks grated into a tub (don't like sticks) and I find it to be a pretty good, reliable soap. Decent lather and I quite like the old fashioned smell.

Gareth

Interesting. I'll give the cream another go, I suppose. I can't get that bad results when people seem to find it okay - even excellent. Perhaps I had a bad shave day :001_rolle

I'm not a fan of the stick, but I used the cream for about a year before I found this place and got hit by all sorts of AD's, I find it very good for the price, haven't had any problems with it.

I use the cream, the bowl soap and soap stick on a regular basis and I love them all. I even use Erasmic shave oil as a preshave oil. I really like the smell.

S

Sydney Guy

If you search the forums you will see that the original Erasmic tallow shave stick was reformulated a year or so back to non-tallow and the performance of the reformulated stick was so bad and they got so many complaints that they went back to the original tallow formula recently. Yours sounds like the non-tallow version.

I haven't used the stick (not available here) but had an opportunity to try the Erasmic cream just this week and the shave was fine although not outstanding.

I have been using the bowl soap for ages and never had a problem with it. It's good stuff, especially considering the price.

Top Bottom