What's new

First decent straight shave

Hello all,

So I recently started shaving with a straight (an old pearl-scaled Dovo I had restored). The first time, I was so scared that I barely cut any whiskers. I lived with my hairy face for the rest of the day.

The second day, I didn't have my razor holding technique down, but the angle was right and I did a wtg pass followed by an xtg pass. I nicked myself a couple times with a little bit of blood as a result. My face still looks a little nicked up from it.

Today, I got my first acceptable straight razor shave. I'd call it CCS for the most part, but of course BBS on the cheeks. I figured out how to hold the razor for the WTG pass well, but my XTG is still a little shaky, especially with my non-dominant hand. I tried ATG on a couple spots, but I'm still too unsure of my technique to do a full pass.

I can see how this is becoming progressively easier, but I'm not there yet. Any tips/pointers? I'm still working on how to optimally stretch my skin, and I'm using an alum block for traction.

Thanks!

i have 4 shaves under my belt and each one is less harsh, smoother, and with less nicks. one thing i recently discovered is to use pre-shave moisturizing lotion. i made one using vegetable glycerin, a few drops of tea tree oil, and a few drops of lavender essential oil. i rub a small layer on my face and let it absorb into my skin for 20 minutes, then wash off and begin the rest of my routine (hot towel on my face for a few minutes, lather, etc...)

hope thats helps and happy shaving!!

Top Bottom