What's new

Tired of dealing with lousy haircuts

I've decided that next time I go to the barbers (and that's a BARBER, not a "stylist") I'm getting a "wiffle": BUZZ IT OFF.

The hell with it. I'm tired of lousy "stylist" haircuts, blow dryers, "just for men" once a month and dealing with a head of hair that looks generally unkempt no matter how I try to care of it. That, and my mane, nice and thick most of my life, is noticably thinning on top. In truth, that's the only way to deal with it...don't deal with it.

What say the hive?

Last edited:
I agree with you.

Once a month I go to my BARBER, not stylist, and get a buzz cut.
Nice, easy, clean and neat. No need to comb my hair. :001_rolle

I shelled out for an Oster 75 (electric hair clippers) and have never regretted it. My lovely lady shaves my head once a week. Keeps it very tidy, and very short. The 75 has a few different pop-in metal blades, so if you wanted you go as short as a 00000 guard (essentially a tiny bit of stubble). Best haircut ever :thumbup1:

If you're going to get a buzz cut, then why pay someone every month to do it? Go buy yourself a set of clippers a buzz it yourself. The cuts you give your self will pay for themselves after the 2nd or 3rd cut. I've been giving myself military regulation cuts for the last 16 years.

Ditto on getting your own clippers. I pulled the trigger on a Wahl clipper for $25 at Target and haven't looked back. I am also thinning on top, but now, I dictate when my hair gets cut and I can cut it more often.

I started getting a buzz about 10 years ago after shoulder surgery and liked the low maintenance so much I kept it that way. I ask for a #3 on top and #2 on the sides, so it shows a bit of hair. I'd rather spend the $15 and leave the mess at the shop. Plus they do the razor on the neck and around the ears and trim the eyebrows.

If you're going to get a buzz cut, then why pay someone every month to do it? Go buy yourself a set of clippers a buzz it yourself. The cuts you give your self will pay for themselves after the 2nd or 3rd cut. I've been giving myself military regulation cuts for the last 16 years.
Ditto on getting your own clippers. I pulled the trigger on a Wahl clipper for $25 at Target and haven't looked back. I am also thinning on top, but now, I dictate when my hair gets cut and I can cut it more often.

I know, I even have a clipper I use often to maintain my sideburns, but I think neither me, nor my wife have the skills to use it on me.

I started getting a buzz about 10 years ago after shoulder surgery and liked the low maintenance so much I kept it that way. I ask for a #3 on top and #2 on the sides, so it shows a bit of hair. I'd rather spend the $15 and leave the mess at the shop. Plus they do the razor on the neck and around the ears and trim the eyebrows.

That's one think I also cherish. Besides that, my barber and I keep a nice chat about vintage straight razors, hones and wristwatches. It's a cheap service and I help keeping the old man's job.

Not a whiffle, but I usually get a 2/3, with it a little longer on top.

Oh... at the barber collage. $4.00 :thumbup1:

My wife cuts mine, which I jokingly tell her gives me more razor money.

Lots of college guys cut their own hair; the favorite cut is the #1.

I had switched to the buzz cut myself a few years ago because with my receding hairline (moderate) nothing else looked presentable.

Then my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, and when she started losing her hair from the chemo, we both shaved our heads so we'd match. We were both surprised to learn that we like my look better that way! Been the same ever since. No more barber shop payments, and very simple upkeep! :)

Went to a BARBER SHOP today, an "old-school" three chair joint that's been in town just about forever.

I'd never been in there before but when I walked in I knew I was in the right place. The place had the aroma of cigar smoke :thumbup: and as I live in a military town (Shaw AFB) there were all sorts of photos of military men and aircraft on the walls.

Each station had a hot lather dispenser. :thumbup1::thumbup1:

I didn't get a "wiffle" but I asked for a "very short, low maintenance haircut that doesn't come off as a 'high and tight'" and I ended up getting a haircut in the same style as I had in the Navy. :biggrin1: And I like it. The same haircut I complained about in the 80's as "making me look like Eddie Haskell". :lol:

There's just something about getting that hot lather and straight razor trim around the ears and on the back of the neck. LOVE IT! :biggrin1:

I used to use clippers at home but the wife decided she didn't like me with a buzz cut. now I generally go months without a haircut and have to deal with a crazy bird's nest hair-do

I gave up completely and have been cutting my own for years. No line, no waiting and a much better result once you get the hang of it!

I found that if I tell whoever cuts my hair that I want "a business cut, really close on the sides and back, high and tight and finger-length on top" that they'll generally get it pretty close to what I actually want. I see a lot of guys here on B&B talk about how stylists can't cut men's hair very well, but it depends on what you tell them.

I used to do the buzz cut as well, until I realized that I looked like Shrek with it.

Hey, I am practically bald, so no agonising about hair cuts. That's not to say I am not envious of you geezers with lush hair... I started shedding my hair when I was about 17, so it's been a long way down. So don't come complaining to me about bad haircuts. I wish I could have one, so I could complain about it! :laugh:

Uuuuugh, the hair stylist. aside from the rental property manager, these are the people i dislike dealing with the most...

I should be able to tell them what i want and they should be able to cut it. I've only ever had 2 people do that for me. One bloke i cant get an appointment with as he is the owner of the store and rarely cuts anymore. Shame as if he did i believe he would double his business...

The other was last weekend, when again, it was cut by a bloke. Hopefully i can get into see him more often, though he did tell me he generally doesn;t work on weekends, which is fine, but either do i....

I'm not saying women cant cut mens hair, i just dont believe they understand how we need it to be cut to ensure 1 - we get some milage out of it (at least a month) and 2 - we hardly have to touch it...

Also - i dont go there for idle chit chat about X-Box and whether or not i have siblings and what i'm doing on Saturday night. I go there to get my hair cut.

When the blokes have cut it there has been little idle chit chat and more discussion about work and kids and general "life" type stuff.

I'm hoping to stay with a barber from now on.
The occasional eye candy just isn't worth it...

I've been shaving my head - fortnightly combless buzz cut for about 4 years.
Occasionally in that time i'd grow it out and go back to paying someone for a month or so, realise it wasn't floating my boat and start shaving it again.

I love it and it doesn't look funny on me, unfortunatly though, at 6'2'', 105kg and tattoo'd it can make me look a little too agressive...

Makes it easy to walk through the shopping centre though :)

If you're going to buzz it off, do it yourself with a Wahl Peanut #8685 or Wahl Balding #8110. Both work great, last forever and will pay for themselves within a year instead of paying the barber.

Top Bottom