What's new

Breaking in a Semogue Owners Club

Do long shaving sessions help with breaking in? I am a head shaver and apply leather to more square than obvious face. Also I don't know how to detect that my brush already broken in. :)
does it still feel like you just got the brush or are you falling in love with it yet?

Falling in love with a brush? Should I buy flowers and have sex with it? :)

Just got mine and used 3 times. That SOC is much harder than my previous brushes.

Falling in love with a brush? Should I buy flowers and have sex with it? :)

Just got mine and used 3 times. That SOC is much harder than my previous brushes.
Hey I have a tight relationship with mine we get right into it with exotic oils and bubble baths. Once I get started touching it with my fingers, my 2000 just doesn't want to stop caressing my face. Lmao

I firmly believe that drying the brush is critical to break-in. Lather the brush every other day for two weeks, only once per day, and prepare to be shocked.

Barring, perhaps, the 620. I doubt there's a force wieldable by human hands what can expedite the break-in of that brush.

+1

I would add: HAND lather the brush every other day for 2 weeks - one month until you are satisfied it is broken in.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I alternate two SOC brushes and have for over a year, so it's hard to remember exactly how long it took - but I'd guess about 6 weeks. It's not terrible out of the box and it's not bad after a couple of weeks, but after it fully breaks in it is spectacular.

I've used my new SOC for exactly 6 shaves and it's already incredible. It gets noticeably better every day. The first shave was a challenge, but it's been all downhill since.

SOC is a really incredible brush.
I had one before, and I got another new.
JUST...WOW.
In my experiences with these two SOCs, they shed seldom.
After one shave, it blooms and gets better very rapidly with the first some shaves.
But it will eat lather in the first shave.

I'm having trouble with the break in period too. I've had mine for at least 6 months but I have about 30 other brushes so it doesn't get a lot of use. I think I'm up to about a dozen lathers and it blooms beautifully, but by nature I'm not a patient person so I probably need to give it more time.

Because of high density of the knot I can feel it is still wet after 24 hrs of usage. Shall I use not every day to allow it to dry during break in period?

This is my 3rd SOC boar, the first 2 I gave up on fairly quickly and went back to badger as it did everything I wanted from a brush. I then decided I was a badger guy boar just doesn't work for me. A few years went buy and a friend recommended the Omega 66 brush if I wanted a good boar so I bought it and it was awesome pretty much out of the box. After a few weeks I was liking the boar so much I bought the premium Omega with green handle and I have enjoyed it alot as well, very good brush with a nicer handle than the plastic Omega 66 imoh. So I got to thinking about the SOC again for weeks and now that the price is only 26.00 on the bay it suckered me in and I bought another. I've gotta say it's the nicest looking boar I have, it's a beautiful brush. I used it now 3 times. I think this time I'm just gonna use it until it breaks in. No fast break in methods like soak in cold water and rub on a towel and all the other fast methods that I'm sure helps the process, just using it every time I shave no matter the outcome until it's there. I know this is a good brush, to many people stand behind it. As far as being a lather hog at first, who cares I got enough soap to make it sick, let it eat. I'm in for the long haul, I want to know what all the talks about. I feel as though I didn't give it a fair chance with the other 2. Now I've been on a boar kick and a couple of high end Badgers are collecting dust. What am I coming to, I thought I knew myself hahahaha.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

To speed up the SOC boar break in period, I soaked the brush in cold water in the fridge overnight. In the morning, I dry it by repeatedly rubbing it back and forth on a towel. Once dry, I put it back in the fridge and water for another night. I repeat this for 4-5 days and the tips split nicely. Some people use a hair drier to speed up the drying cycles.

To speed up the SOC boar break in period, I soaked the brush in cold water in the fridge overnight. In the morning, I dry it by repeatedly rubbing it back and forth on a towel. Once dry, I put it back in the fridge and water for another night. I repeat this for 4-5 days and the tips split nicely. Some people use a hair drier to speed up the drying cycles.
+1

Boar brushes break in almost completely after 4 shaves (or full drying cycles), with some minor changes going on as long as 20 shaves. If you think it took 6 months, that's probably just you adapting technique to optimize results with the brush.

Longterm breaking in phenomenon was invented by marketing people to reduce returned goods by customers who didn't like them. By telling them to keep breaking in for months pass the legal consumer protection period made people get used to what they have.

Audiophiles break in speaker cables for months, or pay extra for pre-broken in cables. Yes, wire.

I think a lot of problems with this brush that people are having is definitely technique. I have already found a big difference in the SOC compared to the Omegas I have. I've been able to to make great progress with it after 4 face lathers and the tips are splitting nicely, some even have 4 splits to a single hair. I think this is gonna turn out very well!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Boar brushes break in almost completely after 4 shaves (or full drying cycles), with some minor changes going on as long as 20 shaves. If you think it took 6 months, that's probably just you adapting technique to optimize results with the brush.

Longterm breaking in phenomenon was invented by marketing people to reduce returned goods by customers who didn't like them. By telling them to keep breaking in for months pass the legal consumer protection period made people get used to what they have.

Audiophiles break in speaker cables for months, or pay extra for pre-broken in cables. Yes, wire.

Interesting perspective!! :a21::a21:

(I was unaware of the up-charge for pre-broken in cables.)

That's how I feel as well. Except for my Semogue 1250 which took around 15 shaves to break in, most of my boar brushes broke in fairly early. Within the 4 shaves or so, most of my boar brushes felt soft on the face without any prickly feeling. YMMV especially with Semogues. I hear some people cannot break in Semogue brushes while others enjoy it from the start.

Top Bottom