What's new

Gift for Officer Commissioning

On Friday I have 4 friends (and myself) being commissioned as 2nd Lieutenants in the Marine Corps. I am wanting to get them something relatively inexpensive, but something they will use. I am currently thinking of getting them a inexpensive, but decent fountain pen, like a Lamy. I know they are more modern looking, but I have one and use it everyday. Anyway, what to the illustrious gents (and ladies) of the board have to say?

Sounds like a good idea to me. I would dig a gift like that. Although to be honest I hate cartridge/converter fountain pens. don't know why. Not that my preference should affect your gift-giving.

I like pens as gifts, somewhat nice pens that is. It's something that will provide utility and serve as a piece of remembarance.

Daniel,
Congratulations! -and thank you for your service!

I think the pens would be very thoughtful and appreciated!

A four badger salute to you Sir!

:badger: :badger: :badger: :badger:

Daniel:
How does it go? Semper Fi! Anyway, thanks to you (and your friends) for your service. Congratulations on receiving your commission.

I think pens are a great idea, BTW.

A nice pen is a fine idea. All that I received was a set of orders sending me to Vietnam.

Congratulations as well.

Thanks to all for the heartfelt words. I truly appreciate them.

Well, I went for the Lamy's. I know they are basically the Mach3's of fountain pens, but when buying for 4 the money for fountain pens begins to add up. I looked at the Auroras and they looked super nice, but I couldn't find any (I only looked at two places) that were under $100. I almost went for a cheap Pelikan, but even at $45 a piece plus the cost for ink, etc., that would have put me out of the range I'm looking to spend.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

On Friday I have 4 friends (and myself) being commissioned as 2nd Lieutenants in the Marine Corps. I am wanting to get them something relatively inexpensive, but something they will use. I am currently thinking of getting them a inexpensive, but decent fountain pen, like a Lamy. I know they are more modern looking, but I have one and use it everyday. Anyway, what to the illustrious gents (and ladies) of the board have to say?

Oh-no! The only thing more dangerous than a Private with a rifle, is a 2LT with a pen! -- old US Army saying (goes double for the USMC).

Instead of a pen, why not pay for Eagle, Globe, and Anchor tattoos? You know you want one.

Congratulations on your upcoming commission; serve proudly.

Oh-no! The only thing more dangerous than a Private with a rifle, is a 2LT with a pen! -- old US Army saying (goes double for the USMC).

Instead of a pen, why not pay for Eagle, Globe, and Anchor tattoos? You know you want one.

I think for the Marine Corps it's a 2nd LT with a map. :lol:

As for the tattoo, already have it. :001_cool:

Congrats to you and your friends, Daniel! :thumbup1:

Did you include a FREE Membership to B&B as well? :biggrin:

Well done! Semper Fi!

Tchau,
chop-chop

M

modern man

KA-Bar

You may be able to shave with it. :lol:

If you can't I will see you at sick bay.

If you're looking for other ideas how about getting them an engraved flask (all Marines like a good stiff drink), or a Zippo w/USMC emblem on it (if they smoke...), or a nice Day-Timer.

As to the Ka-Bar, most of them already have one (I have three!). We are a bunch of enlisted guys going over to the dark side, so many of the traditional Marine gifts they already possess (such as the flask and such).

I had one of my Marines who was a knife fanatic shave with one of his Ka-Bars. It didn't do too bad if I remember correctly. :yikes:

sheesh, jarheads......

how about a book that teaches map and compass skills.... :biggrin:

get em money clips (for all that money you are gonna make now) with the Marine Corps emblem and engrave your name and commissioning date on them.

all ya all Mustangs? if you are then ya know that Gunnys may not be G_ds but they do advise him.....

Top Bottom