What's new

Tried a Feather blade today...

After using almost exclusively Merkur blades for several years, out of a combination of availability and habit, I tried a Feather blade this morning. For the first few strokes, I was wondering whether I might have forgotten to put the blade in the razor because I could not feel it doing anything, but then i realized that it was actually cutting the hairs. Now, my shaves have always been slightly erratic so I’m not going to pronounce it a clear winner yet, but as first impressions go... wow!

Wow! You must be part of a rare breed.

As I wrote, availability. This is Sweden. Most people do not know that DE razors still exist. :) Until recently, the only blades I could find locally were Gilettes ("swedes", I think) at a whopping 10 kr per blade (about US$1.50 at today's exchange rate!), the Merkurs at about half of that, and some Personnas at about 3 kr each, but those seemed to pull the hairs out rather than cut them. I got the Feathers as part of a sample pack from the UK, but I have noticed that they have started showing up in Swedish online stores as well (although at prices that still makes ordering from the UK attractive, at least if one buys 50 or so at a time).

Feathers have become a favorite of mine as well. I like them nearly as well as Iridiums. The shave with a new Feather is definitely something I look forward to.

I had the same experience. It helped that I was switching from a dull Persona to the Feather, but I had to check to make sure I had the blade in right! wow. Good thing too, the Merkur 23C I use is a little to conservative for me. Maybe that's why it's safe to use the Feathers! lol Can't wait to get my PIF Fat Boy. I really need more aggressiveness for some areas.

As I wrote, availability. This is Sweden. Most people do not know that DE razors still exist. :) Until recently, the only blades I could find locally were Gilettes ("swedes", I think) at a whopping 10 kr per blade (about US$1.50 at today's exchange rate!), the Merkurs at about half of that, and some Personnas at about 3 kr each, but those seemed to pull the hairs out rather than cut them. I got the Feathers as part of a sample pack from the UK, but I have noticed that they have started showing up in Swedish online stores as well (although at prices that still makes ordering from the UK attractive, at least if one buys 50 or so at a time).

I'm sure most people in North America don't know DE razors still exist.
Swedes are good but that's a terrible price. We get our fair share of terrible razor blades in Canada. My local drug store charges $15 for a pack of Wilkinsons :blink: but there are many online shops based in the great white north to hit up.

Yep, they're just a nice sharp blade. Their fearsome reputation is completely undeserved. Enjoy!

Not COMPLETELY... I hand strop or cork a feather before the first shave. If not I get hella razor burn. They take almost as much skin off as they do stubble.

They really hit the stride on shave 3-4 then drop off quite suddenly when the've been spent.

They deserve respect, because they are extremely sharp and smooth, which equates to unforgiving. After a shave or two they glide like butter. Unfortunately the moment occurs quite suddenly when they have lost their edge and smoothness and need decommissioned.

A fickle blade that is unique in its performance.

I for one love them.

:thumbup:

Not COMPLETELY... I hand strop or cork a feather before the first shave. If not I get hella razor burn. They take almost as much skin off as they do stubble.

They really hit the stride on shave 3-4 then drop off quite suddenly when the've been spent.

They deserve respect, because they are extremely sharp and smooth, which equates to unforgiving. After a shave or two they glide like butter. Unfortunately the moment occurs quite suddenly when they have lost their edge and smoothness and need decommissioned.

A fickle blade that is unique in its performance.

I for one love them.

:thumbup:

My experience couldn't be more the reverse. I routinely change blades every 3 days, but have pushed a Feather to 5 shaves, all 5 being equally smooth, close, and burn free. This is THE blade I would never want to be without.

David

My experience couldn't be more the reverse. I routinely change blades every 3 days, but have pushed a Feather to 5 shaves, all 5 being equally smooth, close, and burn free. This is THE blade I would never want to be without.

David

That's been my experience too. 5 shaves, all great.

I've been wet-shaving again for about 3 months now and enjoying it.

I like the feathers. So much so I bought several hundred (see Dridiot's ad in the vendor's forum, he's got the best prices)
in the event of the "shavepocalypse" that people speak of.

I've tried Derby's, Russians, Israeli blades in my Feather AS DE razor and keep coming back to the Feather Hi-Stainless (the mfr says the
yellow and black packaging is for different markets, but they're the same blade).

But I've been using a straight-razor this week too so who knows.

And why?
Because quality always wins!

René

I mentioned this story once before, but it's worth telling again. When I was in a college chemistry class in a big auditorium, a professor dropped a beaker. He said he hoped people wouldn't mind the smell but if it got too bad he'd clean it up. He asked people to raise their hands when they began to smell it. Pretty soon a few hands went up in front, then a bit further back, and so on till hands were up in the back. Turns out it was a psych student's experiment and the liquid was distilled water.

Love to drink wine and do wine tastings. If you blind taste wines and one is highly rated and the other is only good. You might well get a 50-50 split on who prefers which. But pour them from open bottles, and the vast, vast majority of people will tell you they prefer the highly rated one.

Hearing and reading everyone else say "these are the best" can't help but influence many to begin to believe "those are the best" too.

Last edited:
I'm new to wet shaving, and I don't fear Feather blades at all. In fact the vast majority of my shaves are nick and irritation free with the Feather. It cleanly slices my beard with no effort or pressure at all.

I'm going try a the Personna Med Preps and see how it is compared to the Feather. Then I intend to purchase a box of 100 of these bad boys.

I think they take flak for being harsh not sharp...

In my summation they are harsh because they are unforgiving, if you aren't on your game with technique they will cut you and make it hurt, If you got your technique down then they give you a nice smooth shave, but it requires that you use 0 pressure, some new to DE shaving are still using pressure inadvertently(like me) and can end up bloody without knowing it, thats why something like an Astra is much more forgiving, its smoother than it is sharp, it might not get you as close but it sure wont remove your skin as easily

As it was said the feather is a very fickle blade, if you know how to use it you can get something very nice, if your an amateur it will bite you

Don't be afraid of the feather, Respect it :a45:

Top Bottom