What's new

überlather - glycerin clogs on brush?

"Although it improves the shave by making the lather a bit slicker and shinier, the glycerin clogs the bristles of the shaving brush so it must be shampooed between shaves. The slight increase in slickness does not justify the time spent cleaning shaving brushes. This extra step is unnecessary given the outstanding results achieved from Superlathering alone."

I read this on Shaving101. I do überlather sometimes. Is that right? I don't wash brush with shampoo after überlather, i don't feel any problem and i use glycerin too when washing my brush. On the contrary my brush softer after this. Shaving soaps, creams too included already glycerin?? What are you thinking?

I disagree 100%. I have been using uberlather almost exclusively since July 2010. Not once have I had glycerin clog the bristles of any of my brushes. I use a number of brushes: Caswell-Massey Bristle and Badger, T&H Silvertip Badger, Hoffritz Badger, and Simpson Duke 3 Badger. None of these brushes have had any problems with glycerin clogging any brushes.

After shaving I rinse my brushes out under hot water removing all traces of lather. I then gently wring the bristles out, shake once, and then towel dry.

I disagree 100%. I have been using uberlather almost exclusively since July 2010. Not once have I had glycerin clog the bristles of any of my brushes. I use a number of brushes: Caswell-Massey Bristle and Badger, T&H Silvertip Badger, Hoffritz Badger, and Simpson Duke 3 Badger. None of these brushes have had any problems with glycerin clogging any brushes.

After shaving I rinse my brushes out under hot water removing all traces of lather. I then gently wring the bristles out, shake once, and then towel dry.

+1...Glycerin is hydrophilic and LOVES water. Water will wash it away in no time. If you used Mineral Oil or Baby Oil, then I would say you are right. Not Glycerin. I have been Uber-ing my soaps/cremes with Glycerin and none of my brushes have had ANY problems being clogged.

Of course, I routinely clean my brushes every 2-3 months anyway...just habit, I guess and they feel great afterwards. In fact, I use Glycerin in my Vinegar Rinse and Glycerin/Lavender EO in my last wash. Works wonders for the brush.

hello, i suggest that the water in your system is "hard"-that is, it has a fair amount of magnesium and calcium in it;

if i am correct then cleaning your brush regularly (weekly,etc.) will remove the hard water build up;vinegar (white type is cheap & readly available) will remove the build up;

if that isn't it regular cleaning with vinegar will most likely remove any build up;:thumbup:

Top Bottom