What's new

Patchouli

Normally the word "patchouli" conjures up images of long-skirted hippie women who don't shave their armpits (or bathe). :tongue_sm

However, for many years I wore Caswell-Massey's patchouli cologne. It was an extremely dry, herbal scent unlike the cloyingly overbearing concoctions associated with 22 year old Trustafarians. :lol:

Somewhere in the late 80's, I think, Caswell-Massey reformulated this cologne and made it sweeter and definitely different (inferior) to the original. Their fulfillment department did a special order for me and their chemist mixed me up a BIG ol' bottle of it which I used happily for years.

I don't think they offer patchouli cologne in any sort of formulation anymore much less the original formulation.

Do not dis patchouli, or hippie women. You do have some experience with one patchouli perfume. I doubt that you have any experience with hippie women. I have quite fond memories of all sorts of patcholi scents, and also the girls who wore some form of it.

How old are you, kid? I think I have a pair of shoes older than you.

Do not dis patchouli, or hippie women. You do have some experience with one patchouli perfume. I doubt that you have any experience with hippie women. I have quite fond memories of all sorts of patcholi scents, and also the girls who wore some form of it.

I'm 50

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

50 year old shoes huh?

they must smell like a hippies ....ermmmm.....hmmmmm..camper van !!!! :w00t:

Patchouli perfume often gives the herb itself a bad rap. It is a wonderful supportive ingredient in scents and when done right it has a dry, earthy/minty herbal scent that doesn't call to mind "dirty hippies" at all.

Patchouli perfume often gives the herb itself a bad rap. It is a wonderful supportive ingredient in scents and when done right it has a dry, earthy/minty herbal scent that doesn't call to mind "dirty hippies" at all.

+1

You would be amazed at how much better a scent can smell by adding a touch of patchouli.

I have always like patchouli (I'm 49). I really like the Bath House Spanish Fig and Nutmeg that has a patchouli and sandalwood base and SCS Smoke and Beads - I also see that SCS has a new patchouli as well.

If you are one that likes patchouli, and scents of the single note variety, I recommend Molinard Patchouli. It's works great for some layering experimentation, but also works well on its own. It has good sillage and has excellent longevity on me. Plus, the price won't break the bank.

I bought some CWM Patchouli about a year ago and enjoy it. I did have second thoughts about wearing it when one of my employees who I suspect was a hippie chick in her day identified the scent instantly!! Now I wear it on weekends!! I like CWM AS and colognes in general with Tricorn my go to scent for many years. I am 61 and went to a small liberal arts college in the NE so I know a hippie when I see one-even a vintage one!!!

I just sent an email to Caswell-Massey asking them if the Aura of Patchouli they sell now is the original (dry) or reformulated (sweeter) version and if the 'dry' can be custom-mixed for a customer.

Here ya go... :)

proxy.php

Pictures? I am not familar with Dreadlock Chicks.

Last edited:
Here is Caswell-Massey's response:

"Thank you for your interest in Caswell-Massey. We did change the formula for the Aura of Patchouli. At this time we will not be switching back to the old formula do to government regulations. As far as placing a special order, we unfortunately do not provide that service at this time. If we can be of further assistance please feel free to contact us."

"Government Regulations?"

Well, the next time I'm in a Caswell-Massey store I'll sample a tester of the current Aura of Patchouli cologne. I might learn to like it again.

Top Bottom