What's new

Patchouli

Patchouli just doesn't seem to have any middle-of-the-road'ers does it?

Not me anyway. I can't stand the stuff. I do have scents with patchouli notes, but if they stand out too much I cannot do it. Someone at school today had straight patchouli on, I'm assuming an EO, and it just smelled awful to me. Always has.

The most elegant and truly awesome patchouli fragrance I have experienced is vintage Givenchy Gentleman, which if applied sparingly is truly a wonder. Applied to heavily and it's a potential embarrassment and a cliche for "that guy" in the office who makes everybody cough and laugh with his cologne.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
The most elegant and truly awesome patchouli fragrance I have experienced is vintage Givenchy Gentleman, which if applied sparingly is truly a wonder. Applied to heavily and it's a potential embarrassment and a cliche for "that guy" in the office who makes everybody cough and laugh with his cologne.

Absolutely the best - chick magnet in a bottle. I've been using it exclusively since 1971. Doesn't work as a chick magnet for me any longer though.

Hippie chicks and antibiotics - loved 'em both.

I'm one of those people for whom patchouli has a bad association, so no patchouli fragrance for me.

"We did change the formula for the Aura of Patchouli. At this time we will not be switching back to the old formula do to government regulations."

Was it radioactive?

The Patchouli association for me consists of the burned-out, post-modern hippies that frequented Phish shows (and Ratdog and dead reunion shows) in the late 90's and early 2000's. Patchouili has forever since been associated (in my mind) with bad hair and even worse hygiene. :mad3: I know that's sterotyping and bias at work, but, hey, I'm human.

Ahh...loved me some patchouli girls. Wish I could find another one.

This weekend I was in Athens, Ga, at a restaurant just off the UGA campus. Some young chick walked in wearing the scent. Brought back some good memories.

Actually there are new government regs about what is allowed in the ingredients of a fragrance which is causing a lot of changes with what fragrances are out there now. They still don't disclose an ingredient list of each fragrance due to secrecy and all that....

Restrictions due to allergens. Oak moss is in this category. I know because I use it to make my own scents. Luckily I live in Singapore and get obtain it. But it should be used sparingly.

My Bingle Buddy sent me a bottle of Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills. Patchouli and Honey. A lovely and a bit nostalgic scent. Under $20.

Do not dis patchouli, or hippie women. You do have some experience with one patchouli perfume. I doubt that you have any experience with hippie women. I have quite fond memories of all sorts of patcholi scents, and also the girls who wore some form of it.

How old are you, kid? I think I have a pair of shoes older than you.

Yes that definitely makes two of us, who have great memories.

I like patchouli. I have a bottle of EO and like to add it to things, a couple drops on a small piece of paper to scent an area, etc. Mixed in with some hand lotion for a soothing scent.
Brings back childhood memories for me.

I like patchouli in moderation. I think most of the negative responses involve the over application of straight patchouli oil, which can be a bit off putting.

I use Triloka Patchouli Oil and it smells nothing like dirty hippies, more of a smokey/woodsy smell. Very pleasant and long lasting.

Having grown up in Boulder in the 60s and 70s, I have a distinct memory of the hippie scent. At the time, it was the incense version, which was the equivalent of a bathroom spray cloud over most of the town. I have yet to find the scent in colognes. The closest I've found is Patchouli 24, but it's not the same. Perhaps my nose has changed.

Pure Patchouli, which hippies wear (I live in a hippy town) is nasty stuff that stinks up an area for hours (in my humble opinion). But when quality colognes, have patchouli, that's totally different and usually smells great.

I like patchouli in moderation. I think most of the negative responses involve the over application of straight patchouli oil, which can be a bit off putting.

I have a love / hate for patchouli

Used moderately, or as a base - I usually love it.

Used as a straight EO, or heavily - not so much.

I have some great hippie chick memories, and also a recent one - sat a few tables away from a group of hippies at an outdoor restaurant and it was STILL too strong!

I utilize just a drop of patchouli oil(behind the ears/neck) to boost my Musgo Real classic A/S.

It works great

Top Bottom