What's new

Educate me on fountain pens

The multiple addiction thing is a truism. About 6 years ago I found B&B, loaded up on gear and have been DE shaving ever since. I had a couple of fountain pens that I bought after I found a pen store with an incredible collection. I bought a Lamy 2000 as my first, then a Pelikan m400 and finally a Pilot vanishing point. Used them for a while and put them away. I tell myself I couldn't find an ink I liked. I'm not really sure why I put them away, I just preferred to use my Lamy ball point.

I hadn't visited B&B for about 4 years and then over the holidays I forgot my brush when I was away for a week. luckily there was an internet vendor right around the corner from where I was staying, bought a new brush, and now I have 7 with another on the way. a dozen new blades and about that many new creams.

While I enjoyed that resurgence, I found the discussions about pens again and went back over to FPN where I bought some noodlers from a member there. I then decided I really liked the convenience of the vanishing points, but the pen was a bit too large for me. Who knew that they produced a smaller version for the Japanese market called the Decimo. And sure enough I found a member who was willing to sell one to me, brand new and unused. I love that pen. I took it on a business trip the day after I got it, wrote with it the entire day and loved it. I use it every day now.

Don't get me started on the home coffee roasting and espresso habit that I acquired about 6-7 years ago - same deal. I think it has a tremendous amount to do with the online communities where we can share what we know and need to know to learn. To learn what it means to enjoy something so much that we enthusiastically invite others to give it a try. And they decide that it works for them.

I liken it to passing along a long, lost art or experience to the next generation. There are easier ways to shave, write, have coffee but we choose to actually enjoy the experience, not just get to the point. Enjoyment of the experience, and the sharing of it with other like, minded people - that's what strengthens the addiction - and I love it.

The 800 is my go to pen. I have about 50 pens in my pen stable. It is a great addiction!:thumbup1:

I pretty much consider the Pelikan 800 as the benchmark for what I want in a FP - although its a pricey pen. If you're on a budget, the Lamy 2000 is one of the best bargains out there if you don't mind the austere styling - just a great writing pen with what I think is a very understated, timeless design.

That is going to depend on what you currently enjoy using. If you like a real thin line, XF is probably the only thing that will get you what you want. I've got a M nib Lamy 2000 (which essentially has the same nib in a different material) and wish I had gotten a F instead. It writes larger than true with a wet ink on more absorbent paper.

The Lamy nibs tend to run thick - I think the fine is what most people will like and doesn't dig into the paper the way an XF can. I have a couple of Safaris and they're great pens for the money - the Lamy converter is also very good.

If I were you, I would just continue writing with it to see if anything changes. There's some debate as to whether or not fountain pens need "breaking in" or not, but I think after writing with it for a bit you'll know if anything changes. Replacement nibs are cheap enough and easy to replace, so if you don't like the Fine nib you won't have to buy a whole new pen. :thumbup1:

I think most pens need a few fills before they break in - I had a Vanishing Point that wrote much better after a few fills.

I just recently bought a namiki (pilot) Vanishing Point and love it. It had a bit of tooth at first but it's great now. The nibs on Japanese pens tend to run small so if you like fine get a medium.

I agree with this - both on the nibs and break in. One of the thinks I've found is that if you have a pen with a nib that needs a bit of breaking in that the Noodler's "eel" series can help - its got a bit of lubricant in it to help with the mechanisms of piston pens, but I find it has very smooth writing qualities as well.

Chris I tend to disagree with you... I feel a Lamy is one on the most over rated pens out there.... Give me a "51" and it will outlast and run circles around current production lamy's.... the only good Lamy was the 27...IMHO

Chris I tend to disagree with you... I feel a Lamy is one on the most over rated pens out there.... Give me a "51" and it will outlast and run circles around current production lamy's.... the only good Lamy was the 27...IMHO

Many Lamy's need adjusting and cleaning to get working when new. I don't care for the grip that much. It takes a bit of getting used to. If you could adjust the nib to align the section grips with your hand hold it'd be a lot better.

While I have yet to try a Parker 51 (there's one in decent shape at my local antique store for $34.99...we'll see how long I hold out), I think there's much to be said for the Lamy Safari's price and availability. For not much money, someone can get a sturdy pen and a converter and be on his way. The nibs are really easy to replace and the clips are good. While a Hero 616 or 100 is a cheap starter pen, the quality control can be hit or miss. The first Hero 616 I bought had a nib that was cut so far off center that the second tine was a mere sliver on the edge of the nib. For a newbie who doesn't know much about how his pen works, it can be awfully frustrating to have a pen that doesn't write.

I think another good starter pen is the Noodler's Ink piston fill. While the body is kind of small and it smells weird for a few days, the piston fill system is solid and the nib is very nice. At $14.00, there's really no complaining either.

All of that being said, I might eat every single word I just said if I magically end up with a Parker 51 this week. :biggrin1:

Obviously this is a YMMV sort of thing and the Safaris have crept up in price, but I do think they are good, durable, easy to use pens.

I agree that the 51 is a good pen (as are their cheaper 21 cousins), but comparing a 51 to a Safari is like comparing apples to oranges - the 51 was a high end pen and the cheapest version cost $12.50 when it was released in 1941. Even the cheaper 21 (steel nib and some other cost-saving materials) was $5 in 1960. In other words, you're comparing a very high-end pen to an entrly level one - there should be no comparison.. Also, while you can occasionally find a 51 for a reasonable price in the wild (and take your chances), you'll spend at least $100 for one that's been properly refurbished.

I also disagree that the 27 was the only good Lamy - I've had my 2000 for about 8 years and its functioned flawlessly and is a great writing pen that can be had for $100 if you shop around. I've also got a vintage 80, which is also a nice pen.

Again, this is a YMMV thing.

How many of you are lefties out there? I am left-handed only for writing, it is bizarre in my eyes lol.

Does using a fountain pen require a different way of holding the pen, so as to disallow smearing? I've used a fountain only twice in my life, and that was quite some time ago.

How many of you are lefties out there? I am left-handed only for writing, it is bizarre in my eyes lol.

Does using a fountain pen require a different way of holding the pen, so as to disallow smearing? I've used a fountain only twice in my life, and that was quite some time ago.

There are some inks that dry much faster than others. Noodler's ink just recently came out with two new inks, Bernanke Blue and Bernanke Black, that were formulated to dry faster for lefties to use.

Besides the quick drying ink, try to avoid pens that lay down a wet line. Most fine or medium nibs should work fine.

I was in class today, and I sat next to somebody who I don't believe I've been next to before. I could see as she was taking notes with her ballpoint that she was using so much pressure that the pages she had written on were visibly wrinkled, while the blank ones were smooth. I shuddered to think what she would do to a fountain pen, given the chance.

Another very good pen that is easy to find and [in my opinion anyway] even better writer than the 51 is the Parker 45. They have converted me from the 21 and 51. The nib system was swappable and very very smooth. Also, consider the Pelikan 215 series, they are 400 sized, with a metal liner, so they are a little heavier [about like an 800], and again Pelikan quality for a reasonable price.

I have a Rotring Fountain pen. It is amazing in that it travels by bicycle, in my pannier, to from work in all kinds of weather - everything from 5F to 95F. The thing just never leaks. I fly with it regularly and it has never leaked.

strop

Now half as wise
New to B&B, but fountain pens have been my preferred writing instrument for some time. Glad I stumbled upon the part of the forum. I really like the Waterman selections, though my current rotation includes a Monteverde, as well as a couple that I turned. I have been pleasantly surprised at the nib quality in some of the less expensive pen kits available. I also like the Levenger house brand, the Tru-Writer. Anyone else have any experienc with these? I've beenusing Levenger ink. See a lot of talk here aabout Noodler's. Will check that out.

Mark

New to B&B, but fountain pens have been my preferred writing instrument for some time. Glad I stumbled upon the part of the forum. I really like the Waterman selections, though my current rotation includes a Monteverde, as well as a couple that I turned. I have been pleasantly surprised at the nib quality in some of the less expensive pen kits available. I also like the Levenger house brand, the Tru-Writer. Anyone else have any experienc with these? I've beenusing Levenger ink. See a lot of talk here aabout Noodler's. Will check that out.

Mark

The Levengers are truly beautiful, especially at that price point. I heard bad things about their mechanics and never took the plunge and bought one.

Ultimately I took the vintage route (sort of like razors...).

Top Bottom