What's new

Educate me on fountain pens

I purchased one at the urging of a friend. Now I have 14 "good" ones...totaling about $4000 worth. So yes, it can get expensive if your FPAD gets bad.

I have 3 pelikans, a montblanc, a few deltas, a couple montegrappas, a few viscontis, 2 waterman, and a monteverde. Then I have some other cheaper ones, like the phileas.

I am constantly looking for more. Lusting for the montblanc writers series pens.

It is ridiculously addictive.

this is one of those things I just don't understand, but then again, I've only ever used a ball point pen..

It's like electric vs straight, buick vs Lexus, dogs vs cats.

Just a few of my reasons...

1. The nostalgia factor
2. no one asks to borrow my pens...not that I'd let them anyway...because they don't know how to use them.
3. conversation pieces
4. Very important to me: I have 2 companies with over 100 employees for which I sign my name 100 times a day...I use a specific color noodlers bulletproof ink. Good luck matching it or erasing it.
5. You don't press when u write, which means less cramping.
6. It's addictive.

this is one of those things I just don't understand, but then again, I've only ever used a ball point pen..
It's like the difference between DE (fountain pen) and a cart (ballpoint). Both get the job done. Ballpoint may be faster and easier, but it's boring. The fountain pen takes a bit of practice, but is more enjoyable to use. Like a DE, there are a lot of options with a fountain pen (nib, inks, etc) to experiment with. I'm not a collector or hardcore fountain pen user, but I keep 2 fountain pens next to my pc for jotting things down. When I leave the house, I still carry my old Uniball gel pen because it's easier and I don't have to worry about losing it.

Though it always sucks when you hear this, it's one of those things you just have to try for yourself. If you're happy with the cheapest thing at the store, I wouldn't recommend switching. Personally, before I started using FPs I had been on a casual search for the 'perfect' pen for a while. I knew I liked rollerballs because they were smoother and required less pressure. I knew that I liked certain rollerballs better than others (Pilot G2 and Pilot Precise V5.) I took a leap of faith and picked up a halfway decent fountain pen and it was like nothing I'd used before.

And fwiw, true fp enthusiasts do not use cartridges.

I wouldn't say that this is a steadfast rule. Cartridges are convenient and it's always useful to have a box around. Also, many people refill carts. The converter that came with my Pilot pens is not a great design, but the Pilot carts are large and easy to fill with an eyedropper.

I wouldn't say that this is a steadfast rule. Cartridges are convenient and it's always useful to have a box around. Also, many people refill carts. The converter that came with my Pilot pens is not a great design, but the Pilot carts are large and easy to fill with an eyedropper.

Let me try again...

True enthusiasts do not use cartridges.

Though it always sucks when you hear this, it's one of those things you just have to try for yourself. If you're happy with the cheapest thing at the store, I wouldn't recommend switching. Personally, before I started using FPs I had been on a casual search for the 'perfect' pen for a while. I knew I liked rollerballs because they were smoother and required less pressure. I knew that I liked certain rollerballs better than others (Pilot G2 and Pilot Precise V5.) I took a leap of faith and picked up a halfway decent fountain pen and it was like nothing I'd used before.

You have to try FPs for yourself for sure to know if they are for you. Groat PIFed one to me and now I'm hooked. In fact I just ordered a Namiki vanishing point to carry as my everyday pen because I use the one from Groat in my office and don't want to lose it.

In fact I just ordered a Namiki vanishing point to carry as my everyday pen.

I think you'll really enjoy using that pen. The nib on mine is buttery smooth.

Let me try again...

True enthusiasts do not use cartridges.

I don't think that underlining and repeating your statement makes you any more correct. Cartridges are useful. They have their place. Completely discounting them or assigning a stigma to anybody who might use them is elitist.

Bought a beautiful Waterman Phileas fountain pen. Took it to work with me. Dropped it on the deck (steal). Been trying to straighten out the nib ever since. I have it writing again but not as good as it was. :a52:

I was torn between which nib to go with as I had read that Japanese pens tended to have finer nibs so I went with a medium this time out. If I don't like it I see it can be easily changed.

I think you'll really enjoy using that pen. The nib on mine is buttery smooth.

I don't think that underlining and repeating your statement makes you any more correct. Cartridges are useful. They have their place. Completely discounting them or assigning a stigma to anybody who might use them is elitist.

I think you misunderstand. I wasn't doing either of those things, and I wasn't being elitist. I have a couple that use cartridges. My point is, your great grandfather didn't use cartridges. There is nothing wrong with them. They have their place. I use them in a couple pens.

Using cartridges is like using a shavette and calling it a straight shave. Same technique, same shave, but not the full experience. Sorry I didn't clearly communicate.

Bought a beautiful Waterman Phileas fountain pen. Took it to work with me. Dropped it on the deck (steal). Been trying to straighten out the nib ever since. I have it writing again but not as good as it was. :a52:

Ouch. If you want to contact me and shoot over a few pics I MIGHT be able to help you get it back into shape. Maybe.

Ouch. If you want to contact me and shoot over a few pics I MIGHT be able to help you get it back into shape. Maybe.

Thanks Rick. I straightened it out best i could at work. Then when i got home i got my loupe out and did a better job at it. It writes a lot better now but it still isn't perfect. I doubt it ever will be. Thought about contacting Waterman and see if they would sell me half a pen but i see on some websites that Waterman has discontinued there Fine nib Phileas fountain pens, don't know if thats the same for the medium nibs. Might be worth a shot. Thanks anyway though.

A few days ago I ordered a Hero 616 just for fun because they look so much like the Parker 51s. I've been planning on ordering a Lamy Safari for a week or so as well.

Top Bottom