What's new

How to care for my wooden scales

I got just a TI in Olivewood from the BST. How should I care for the scales? Obviously, I'll not get them wet. Besides that, what should I do?

With proper care, how long should I expect them to last?

There isn't a whole lot to do other than keeping them dry. If they were stabilized there isn't much to worry about them either, they are pretty resilient as long as you keep them dry.

You can coat them with this stuff every once in awhile. Also good for bakelite and horn too, well basically any scale material.

proxy.php

Wooden scales have usually had finish applied at the factory, but they can be maintained by a high quality paste wax. Olive can be a bit porous so I would highly recommend using wax on occasion.

Should the finish on your wooden scales become worn and the wood dry, try a small amount of mineral oil followed by a nice coat of wax. The tactile feel of wood will never be compromised by using this method and your wooden scales should last at least one or two life times.

Last edited:
Wooden scales have usually had finish applied at the factory, but they can be maintained by a high quality paste wax. Olive can be a bit porous so I would highly recommend using wax on occasion.

Should the finish on your wooden scales become worn and the wood dry, try a small amount of mineral oil followed by a nice coat of wax. The tactile feel of wood will never be compromised by using this method and your wooden scales should last at least one or two life times.
What he said! ^

Instead of mineral oil, what about olive oil? You know, since it's OLIVEwood and all.

Alright. Thanks guys! Periodic oiling and waxing isn't too bad as long as my scales will last the duration of my life.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom