What's new

Finding a New Razor Blade

How many blades from a brand should I try before I determine if the razor blade is right for me or not? I'm new to DE shaving and have a number of different blades to try but I am wondering how many chances I should give a particular blade before I eliminate it. So far I've used Merkur, Derby, and 7 0'clocks (yellow). Merkurs seem ok, but the Derby really chewed up my face. I used it for three days with little improvement. Now, I'm hesitant about trying a second Derby blade, but do you think I should try more than one blade before I eliminate it?

Also, real NOOB question here, but is there a "top" or "bottom" when inserting a razor blade? I don't see any indication but maybe I'm just really being obtuse.

Thanks for the help!

Though I found my favourite blades pretty early in my search, I think I tried somewhere around 70+ different blades by now. And still when I find a blade I didn't encounter before I feel happy as a kid in a candy store. Most of those never come close to my top-5 but I can't resist trying them. It is called RBAD...

On the other hand; when you find a blade you really like and don't feel for trying myriads of different blades you could also just stick with those. At least when you can ignore the fact that you will never know if there might be a (much) better blade out there for you.

Hi JZ. My first sample pack had 5 different blades, which provided a good learning experience. If I had limited myself to those five, I wouldn't have found my new personal favorites (Personna Medical and NOS Gillette Bleue Extra). I also wouldn't have discovered other nice blades such as the Shark SS, Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black pack, India), and the Nacet Platinum.

I've put all my acquisitions in a long rotation, and have thrown in little adjustments. My latest trick is initial palm-stropping of those blades that seemed rough on the first shave; this has led me to a whole new level of respect for the Astra SP from my original sampler.

I'm not done sampling yet, having recently gotten six new brands to try. Most of the "starting five" have turned out to be very ho-hum, and I'm glad I didn't limit myself to them. I've seen two popular blades disappear from sale, and have heard of several others drying up in the recent past, so the more brands I find that can make me happy, the better off I'll be. Plus, like Talibeard said, it's just a lot of fun to try new things.

The first time through I shaved five blades (two weeks) before switching.

I found that it was useful to go through different blades again after improving my shaving technique and lathering/face prep for about six months. Blades that I struggled with early on, such as Derbys, I now can shave with just fine. Merkurs still make me bleed and IPs, Reds, and Feathers continue to please. On my second time through sample blades I can figure it out in a couple of blades.

Sticking with one razor helped both technique and forming opinions on the blades.

Still looking.

Have used Astra SP, Derby, Dorco ST301, Precision, Shark SC, Personna Medical Prep. I have a few more in my den to go through (these things take time!)

Dorcos and the Personnas are my favourite so far. I have a feeling it will be a while until I settle on my regular blade.

I feel that trying a dozen or so blades will give me a good enough idea of what I like.

so far ive narrowed down the blades id buy again or in bulk to:

IP's
Red Pack Personna
Feather

i get double the shaves from the IP's/Red Pack than i do the Feather but still would keep the Feather in the rotation.

everyone always says Astra. i tried them once but i think i got a bad pack since 2-3 blades were just painful to shave with. i might give them a second chance at some point and time.

I started with Derby myself and hated them. After trying a few others I went back and tried again and they worked well. I think most of you issue maybe technique. Keep trying

Last question, first: Nope, there's no top or bottom, but if the blade has glue spots it seems that most folks like them on the bottom.

From my point of view, the blade should be the least of a new shaver's concerns for the first month. The red-pack IPs are a good entry-level blade because they are 1) consistent, 2) sharp enough to get the job done, and 3) smooth enough to be forgiving of errors in technique. Use the same blade for the first month, I say. After that, I've found that using a different brand of blade for at least a couple weeks is the way to go, and re-trying blades you used months ago is a fine idea. My impressions of merkur blades improved dramatically after I had six months under my belt.

Hope it helps,
-- Chet

When I first started with DE razors, I found a blade that was decent and stuck with it for a month. After that initial period of re-learning to shave, I started exploring new blades. It may be different for others, but my thought was if I started blade swapping before I had my technique to a reasonable state, I would not know if it was me or the blade that was having an issue.

FWIW, I started with Shark Super Chrome blades at the beginning. Like others have said, if you don't like a blade, just put it away for a few months and then revisit it. It could make a world of difference.

The thing is, you technique will improve, A LOT :001_smile
So, a blade that "tears you up" today, may become in 6 mo. or so, your new favorite. Also, what works in one razor, may not work in another. I suggest:
1)Find a blade/razor combo that works pretty well, AND STICK WITH IT, for now.
2)DON'T get rid of the blades that "don't work", they may work LATER.
3)Focus on your technique.

Some guys create elaborate spreadsheets to track their blade sampling.
I just used each blade a couple times, and kept switching around pretty much at random. I just don't have the discipline and attention span to be really organized about it, but eventually I narrowed it down to a few blades that worked consistently well over multiple uses and made those my go-to's.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
JZlibrarianator:
Not to discourage you but, my Blade Sampler of choice from Ebay is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/22-Feather-BlueBird-KAI-Gillette-ASTRA-Sampler-Blades-/180513333566?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a076ee13e

Blades (two each), received are:

LEFT SIDE

ASTRA Superior Platinum

ASTRA Superior Stainless

BlueBird Hi Stainless

Super-Max Stainless

Super-Max Platinum

KAI (displayed bottom - middle)

RIGHT SIDE

TREET Classic Stainless

TRIG Silver Edge Stainless

FEATHER Hi-Stainless

Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless

Derby Extra Stainless

Also, it is wise and sage advice to keep a record / data / spread sheet of each bladec characteristics (sharp, moderate, mild, smooth, nicks, razor burn ect...). Enclosed below is my Posted Reply in regard to an example Spread Sheet.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2804882#post2804882

Christopher
proxy.php

Some guys create elaborate spreadsheets to track their blade sampling.
I just used each blade a couple times, and kept switching around pretty much at random. I just don't have the discipline and attention span to be really organized about it, but eventually I narrowed it down to a few blades that worked consistently well over multiple uses and made those my go-to's.

This is exactly what I do.

Red IPs have been my main blades for a while but I've been trying other blades for a while. Using the above method, I'm currently working through Gillette 7 o'clock yellows & greens (Indian), Gillette 365, Personna Meds & Supermax Super Platinum......David threw those in as a freebie.....thanks!

So far I've had a couple of shaves with the 7 o'clock yellows, which I found to be the smoother cousin of the Feather and the Personna Meds. I have to say the Personna Meds are the best blade I've tried to date. They are super smooth and sharp with no irritation. Can't wait to see how the others compare.

If I got a good shave from a blade, I would use it again, probably several times, and move it into the try it again group.

If I got a bad shave I would dump that blade and try another of the brand. If both were bad those blades would go into the don't use those again group.

If I got an exceptional shave I would use it again, and put it into the wonderful group. (Feathers, S.I.)

At some point I may go back and try some of the "bad" blades again, just to see if something changed. I'm not adverse to pulling a blade out of a razor after two or three strokes if I don't like it. There are to many that work well for me to mess with the bad ones.

Note that I've been wet shaving for a long time, and had very few problems transitioning from a cartridge to a DE.

I can shave with a Derby, I just don't want to. I would not hesitate to move on. Were you struggling with a blade like a Feather, then I'd say come back to it later, but a blade that is neither particularly sharp or smooth is only going to be "tolerable" as your technique improves. And life is too short for tolerable shaves.

Bill

P

Pjotr

For me it's all technique for the first couple of months. I'm also using three different razors and am slowly generally getting BBS shaves with all of them. The easiest shave to date is my Souplex open comb (some obscure English razor) with any blade. At the moment I'm not too fussed which blade I use to be honest. Haven't found one yet that I really dislike. Feather, Merkur, Personna, Iridium. I throw'm after two shaves. I'm sure the Feather will be in the final mix. It's available pretty well anywhere, even here in Australia, and is easily tamed in an adjustable.

Top Bottom