What's new

Working the brush in a circular motion.

I was reading a brocure from the Gentleman's shop here in England. www.gentlemans-shop.com When I noticed that they recommend that you do not work cream into your face using a circular motion as this weakens the hair at the base and they will eventually fall out. (I presume that they do mean the brush hairs and not your face hairs:001_unsur ). I was intrigued by this, what do you think??
John.

I'm testing their theory since I use mine in a circular motion every time I use them. No problems over a couple of years now!

...but on the website link it states to ...."The more thorough the lathering process, the better the shave. Use a small amount of glycerin-based shaving cream and rub onto the wet skin by moving the brush in a circular motion and back and forth over the skin, against the grain of the beard to produce good lather. Spend time on the lathering process, up to 2 or 3 minutes."

http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/perfect_shave.html#1

I am confused...(but that is normal)

circular motions are ok and they should not cause your or the brush hair to fall out.
if your hair falls out too bad.
if the brush hair falls out it is a poorly made brush

My Vulfix 2234 has lost about a dozen hairs over four years and it was used almost daily until last month when I bought a Shavemac 177(now used every other day). I build up lather using a circular motion and have no problems. Just don't smash the brush up againt your face. Be gentle, but firm! :smile:

I'm hoping to leave my heirs a few worn out and broken down razors and brushes :biggrin: use them- thats what they are for!

I have a Hoffritz badger that I have used in a circular motion since 1973. A couple of years ago the whole knot fell out of the handle. I glued it back in and it has been going strong ever since. Never had a problem losing individual hairs before or since.

Jimmy

Some manufacturers like to limit their liability. It would be like a car manufacturer stating don't drive over 20 miles an hour with one of their cars. Sure, the car was designed to drive over 20, and everyone does it, but if it breaks they can say you drived over 20 mph, so it's your fault.

I was reading a brocure from the Gentleman's shop here in England. www.gentlemans-shop.com When I noticed that they recommend that you do not work cream into your face using a circular motion as this weakens the hair at the base and they will eventually fall out. (I presume that they do mean the brush hairs and not your face hairs:001_unsur ). I was intrigued by this, what do you think??
John.

I think if rubbing in a circular motion made your hair fall out you could market a razor with badger hair instead of blades and be the richest man in the world in short order. dream on eh?

Actually I always use a circular motion when applying lather and have never had a problem with any brush for years now.

Whilst I approve of TGS for all that they have done and are doing for male grooming, I do question their advice. Both times I have visited I have had conflicting advice regarding shaving creams and razors (they recommend mach 3 and rate highly a brushless cream)) I use Rooney brushes exclusively and have no problems using either a circular or scrubbing motion as the mood takes me. If the brush falls to pieces in ten years I'll buy another but as I've had no problems yet I'll continue. We have a lot of Badgers in Gloucestershire and I haven't seen any bald ones recently, and they rub their fur in many different directions I'm sure. I know TGS had a lot of problems with Simpson brushes falling to pieces so perhaps their advice about no circular motion was because of this, as it probably does put a greater strain on the hair. However, I don't believe that a circular motion will harm a well hydrated brush and it certainly feels better on you face.

Top Bottom