What's new

Twin blade suggestions

I've been DE shaving for about 3 months and enjoying all the good advice here. I have noticed that I get better shaves if I shave every other day, but I woud like to shave every day.

I was thinking about going to a twin blade razor, thinking maybe it wouldn't be so aggressive with my face. My beard isn't really thick or heavy so shaving every day with the DE doesn't seem to work well for me.

Shaving den looks like this:
Muhle R89 Razor
Dr. Harris Lavendar shaving stick
Boars hair shaving brush

Any ideas as to whether this would enable me to shave every day, and if so, what twin blade razor would anyone suggest?

Thanks in advance,
Greg

I've always liked the Trac II or Trac II type razors. If you need a handle, the Bump Fighter is a perfect fit and comes cheap - about $3. Solid metal handle and with a rubber grip.

I tried a derby, the first shave would be pretty rough but after that it wasn't too bad. My second blade was the Silver Star and they seem to do well, haven't even cut myself with them and they give me a very smooth shave.

So you are suggesting trying a different blade that is even less aggressive as the Silver Star?

I would recommend grabbing a sampler pack from West Coast shaving and trying a few different ones. Personally I can shave everyday with a Red Israeli Personna, but Feathers just tear up my face. YMMV. Otherwise I would go with the above suggestion for either a trac 2 or atra.

I always keep a few packs of Schrick Slim Twins around.. cheap enough if you only use one 2 or 3 times and toss it no big deal. Great for travel and tight work around ears and goatee.

there are 2 twin blade systems that I use on occasion and recommend

1. Gillette Sensor Excel - The Gillette blades are fairly expensive however you can find generic blades for this cart for a reasonable price. This was my go to razor before I got my EJ DE86 last yr.

2. Gillette Atra - These carts are still made by Gillette and cheaper generic blades are available for this cart. I recently bought a Atra handle at my local corner store and I use sometimes when I am shaving in the shower.

I find both of these twin blade systems work well and are comfortable.

I would look at your razor & blade combination. I've only used Gilette's, but the reviews all rate the Muhle as a fairly aggressive razor. Maybe a Blue Tip SS or an Adjustable (dialed to 1 or 2) combined with a Personna Red blade or even your Derby's would be a better choice or you could use it on alternate days with your Muhle. Just be prepared to try different blades as what works in the Muhle may not in another razor.

Thanks, I think I'll try another razor. I never really thought that one razor would be particularly more aggressive than another, I always thought it was the blade.

I think I'll take your advice and look at the SS or Blue Tip.

Thanks for the advice guys,
Greg

Vito, I've been shaving with a DE for a few years and can't shave every day with it as well. I can shave with a Sensor every day with no problems.

I agree and would second the idea of a sampler pack of blades (you can get them at a lot of online retailers). I have a really hard time getting a Derby to do a good job without hacking up my face.

Good luck, sounds like you are on track.

I've been DE shaving for about 3 months and enjoying all the good advice here. I have noticed that I get better shaves if I shave every other day, but I woud like to shave every day.

I was thinking about going to a twin blade razor, thinking maybe it wouldn't be so aggressive with my face. My beard isn't really thick or heavy so shaving every day with the DE doesn't seem to work well for me.

Shaving den looks like this:
Muhle R89 Razor
Dr. Harris Lavendar shaving stick
Boars hair shaving brush

Any ideas as to whether this would enable me to shave every day, and if so, what twin blade razor would anyone suggest?

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Everyone would experience more comfort if they shaved less often than once a day, but that's not the reality for many of us working stiffs (except days off).

I firmly believe that multi-blade razors are harder on your face, so I think I would stick with the DE razor. No, I know they are.

The variables at your disposal are the razor, the blade, the brush, the shaving cream, and the aftershave. You can come up with a combination that will allow you to shave daily closely and comfortably.

Thanks, I think I'll try another razor. I never really thought that one razor would be particularly more aggressive than another, I always thought it was the blade.

Thanks for the advice guys,
Greg

If you want to become a Badger and Blade contributor at the $20 level (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/macskin/misc/links_contrib.jpg) I'll give you the following:
  1. A choice of a vintage Schick Krona or Gillette SS in good operating condition
  2. 5 Medical Grade Personna blades
  3. Some real nice shaving cream
  4. A Semogue 830 Boar brush that works like a high-end badger

Everything is used (except the razor blades) but works real well and is easily worth more than the suggested contribution level. The contribution helps keep the forum going and demonstrates a commitment on your part to try something I think will work for you. PM me if interested.

Greg,

I would take John up on his offer because the change in razor and blades alone may open up a whole new appreciation of the variability of faces versus products!
You might find the cure with this change up.

John,

I got up this morning and just read your offer. I have a bid up on Ebay for a Blue Tip, if that falls through and I don't get the razor, I'll take you up on that.

That's pretty much a no brainer....

I'll let you know later tonight, the bidding ends later this evening and the razor is in excellent condition.

Thanks for your offer,
Greg

Well, after getting home from the game I saw that I won the bid on the Blue Tip. Thanks for the offer John, but I will see how this razor works out with the rest of the sampler pack I have.

We shall see how it goes. The wife is still floored that I paid money for a used razor that is over 50 years old......<g>

Thanks for all the suggestions guys,
Greg

Top Bottom