What's new

Needing help. Again

Hi again from Australia.
Firstly, thank you to those who responded to my first thread.
The slight chance I thought I had of curing the RAD (thanks to those who enlightened me to believe RAD's are good) has all but disappeared. A simple calculation proves I have enough shaving soap to last in excess of 5 years. If a good DE Gillette razor is still going strong after more than 60 years, my collection of (hopefully) good razors should last me for at least three centuries. The weak link is the badger brushes. The five I currently own will certainly wear out in well under 50 or so years. (makes mental note to panic buy more brushes)
My latest buy was a Gillette Aristocrat No 21. The seller correctly advised the frame had been damaged when dropped but this did not effect the "shaving experience". This is technically correct if you agree that one side of the razor should be savagely, blood letting aggressive and the other side excessively mild. The Rhodium finish is still very good and the TTO mechanism still works, just a bit lop sided. My question is, is there anyone who can restore this razor to a useable standard? Being in Australia, I would prefer to get this done locally, but would be happy to send it anywhere where the work could be done well.
Any hints?
While I'm here, I should do my bit for Australia.
Oprah got it right. It's a great place to visit. Disregard the cyclones, flooding and venemous snake stories. They are minor inconveniences compared to the rest of this fabulous place.
Best wishes from Down Under.

Sorry, most of the restoration I've seen have been in the States or UK.

And at that, all hey do is replating.

Hope you find someone good,
Dave

Yikes! That razor sounds dangerous!

I liked your story, and can't help you out with razor repair. Good Luck!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'm not sure if there's someone equipped with the proper tools to do this or not. Do you have any pictures of the razor? It might help to know the extent of the damages...

The only person that comes to mind that is repairing and replating DE is cooncatbob.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Hi Luc,
My attempts to add photos does not go well. Got any hints on how to do this?
Thanks

Sure, there are 3 ways to do this.

1-You can upload the pictures to a different site such as Picasa or any website that can host your pictures. Just link them right here.

2-You can create an Album using the B&B Gallery

3-Click on 'Quick Reply' then 'Go Advanced' and use the paper clip to attach the files when you reply. I would do this option.

like Luc suggested . Look above where you type your response and click on the paperclip.browse the upload file (top left ) and locate it on your pc and drive. It may take a moment then it will add the pic to your post . You can have a look at it and if its correct upload it and your done. preview your post if desired and submit for all of us to enjoy.

G'day LAB, I am also in Brisbane so if you don't have any joy finding someone to repair your Aristocrat I would be more than happy to have a look at it for you, while I can't lay any claim to being a razor repairer of any sort I do have the respect and appreciation for the Aristocrat to not endanger it any way and the dexterity to at least improve it. I certainly understand any trepidation on your part and will not be offended if you pass on the offer but it is there if you wish to avail yourself of it.
I hope it all works out for you mate.
Cheers
Bevan

Hey mate welcome from the land down under the land down under. As mentioned need to know more about the damage. It might be as simple as a screwdriver if its just a bent bar or more complicated if you need to replace a door or it may even need dissassembly. Piccies of bother the good side and bad side would help.

And don't be inviting all those foreigners down here. They'll just be after our Brit razors :lol:

Top Bottom