What's new

EJ Sea Buckthorn

I placed an order from TESC... last year I think :blink: and received a sample of Sea Buckthorn cream. Placed it in a drawer and kind of forgot about it. Found it recently while "rediscovering" creams, and decided to give it a try.

Wow, nice.

Lovely fragrance - difficult to describe, but floral is a good term. The cream was a bit thirsty but was very slick. Overall a terrific shave. :thumbup1:

Now I have to try the Aloe :tongue_sm

I like it a lot, especially the ASB.

Describing the fragrance has been a challenge to all that I have invited to test it.

Most describe it as a flowery, melon aroma, kinda like a sweet cantalope.

I bought a tube of Sea Buckthorn in December. I regret not ordering the tub as it's one of my better creams. I just wish the scent was a little stronger. It's tough to get a handle on. For some reason it reminds me of Juicy Fruit gum at times. Almost ordered the Aloe Vera yesterday, but there's no room in my cream drawer. Need to finish a few before I buy more.

The scent reminds me of pruning hedges. Not so much floral as opposed to "fern-y". Great cream. I shaved with it this morning.

The scent reminds me of pruning hedges. Not so much floral as opposed to "fern-y". Great cream. I shaved with it this morning.

Funnily enough, sea buckthorn is used a lot in hedges around the estate where I live - there are huge banks of it in places, and the golden berries certainly add colour. The thorns tend to discourage getting close enough to enjoy the scent though :001_smile

I bought a tube of Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn after reading so many superlative reviews. It's is a wonderful smelling cream. However for the life of me I can't get a good lather or shave out of it. I have tried using copious amounts but that doesn't help either.

Anyone have a similar experience? I haven't found anything negative in the reviews section.

Thanks,

It's thin and has no slickness. My razor skips and tugs. I've tried different razors and blades. I've really tried to figure this one out becasue I love the scent. Maybe I got a bad batch?

It's thin and has no slickness. My razor skips and tugs. I've tried different razors and blades. I've really tried to figure this one out becasue I love the scent. Maybe I got a bad batch?

that is indeed very odd. it is easily the thickest cream i have tried so far and i have tried many!

v.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Wow! I just tried some at Noctilux's urging and it was very good indeed. NO issues lathering it. It lathers a lot like TOBS or AOS, IMO. Is this your first cream, are you a soap guy? I don't mean to sound like I'm picking on you, but this is a very easy cream to lather, it's not like it has any issues or potential issues like MWF or anything.

If you can lather C.O. Bigelow, or TOBS you can lather this. It it is thin and not slick, sounds like you are overwatering to me.

I've must have gotten a bad batch. I bought a travel size tube and the consistency was anything but thick - in fact it's one of the thinnest creams I've owned. I am a big TOBS fan and never had a problem with any of their creams - I consider their Avocado, Rose and Jermyn all thick creams.

I'd personally suspect poor storage/separation of product before a "bad batch" theory. I'm sure that there is *some* sort of QC going on with the stuff while it's being packaged/produced that isn't going to let a bad BATCH get out. On the other hand, having a tube, or package of it sitting for days in a hot truck somewhere broken down along the side of the road, that sounds quite plausible.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

The lather has to be thick and creamy. If it's thin, you most probably need to use more product and load your brush longer.

I find that EJ creams are thicker and require doses of water added during the lathering process. I get nice creamy, rich lather from it. Nice stuff. Don't give up, but if you do I'll take it lol.

I have a tub of it and have no problems getting a nice lather going. It is one of my favorite creams. The "bad batch" theory doesn't say much for quality control, though.

Top Bottom