What's new

loosing blade angle battle and faith (:

Why assume it's the angle? What's your routine & gear?

Shower

Kyles prep

Musgo real lather on face

EJ89L with brand new feather blade...

waiting for tabac shave stick to arrive to try with that...maybe what i think is a good lather isn't a good lather..i could try next shave with the 'goo from can' as mantic would put it

WTG shaves are doing this?

How many times have you used Feathers?

What other blades are in the sample pack?

How many other blade brands have you tried?

If you're sure it's blade angle, start from square one. Leave the razor head on your face and tilt down until it starts cutting. That's the correct angle.

HIH,
Dave

Dang! Sounds frustrating for sure!

Do you get a smooth pass on any part of your face? How is the pass under your sideburns down to the jawbone? If you can solve this area and the large area of the cheek, you are well on your way to solving the other trickier areas also.

Hang in there! Let us know about any progress, or even lack of progress.

WTG shaves are doing this?

How many times have you used Feathers?

What other blades are in the sample pack?

How many other blade brands have you tried?

If you're sure it's blade angle, start from square one. Leave the razor head on your face and tilt down until it starts cutting. That's the correct angle.

HIH,
Dave

Sample pack gave me this: Kai, wilkinson, kai, feather

Tried merkur and feather, gilette 7'o clock form india.

second time around using feather..

i did hold it against head and brought it down till i heard cutting. simulated that against my arm as well

Dang! Sounds frustrating for sure!

Do you get a smooth pass on any part of your face? How is the pass under your sideburns down to the jawbone? If you can solve this area and the large area of the cheek, you are well on your way to solving the other trickier areas also.

Hang in there! Let us know about any progress, or even lack of progress.

some parts of my neck seems oki. on cheek my hair growth is from nw-se on right side and ne tosw on left side and i shave that way.

Will try again with kai blade in a few days.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Are you sure that you are going WTG? Did you face map your beard?

Are you sure that you are going WTG? Did you face map your beard?

yepper..had a few days worth of growth. saw the way the hair was growing on both cheeks as well as neck....i can wait a few more days and then post picture of growth if that is useful

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
yepper..had a few days worth of growth. saw the way the hair was growing on both cheeks as well as neck....i can wait a few more days and then post picture of growth if that is useful

2 things come to mind then... Lather doesn't have enough glide or you need a different blade.

If your lather is too thick, it won't provide any glide at all, you would need more water. As for the blade, I would be surprised but anything is possible. Feathers did not really agree with me... I mean, they worked but nothing fantastic...

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
It could be the blade.

Quite true. I just recently started using Feather's myself, and when the blade is brand new It tends to pull and skip on my face. However, after learning from Hoosier Trooper the art of hand stropping, I will take a new Feather and strop it just once on both sides.

It does seem to make the new Feather glide more easily on my face. Subsequent shaves however, are perfectly smooth and sharp, it's just when the blade is new.

Quite true. I just recently started using Feather's myself, and when the blade is brand new It tends to pull and skip on my face. However, after learning from Hoosier Trooper the art of hand stropping, I will take a new Feather and strop it just once on both sides.

It does seem to make the new Feather glide more easily on my face. Subsequent shaves however, are perfectly smooth and sharp, it's just when the blade is new.

hand stropping???

another thing to learn just when i figured i had learned a lot...never ending learning experience.

I am a novice with DE shaving (Old timer years-wise shaving though) and I experienced a similar reaction to what you describe. After reading Luc's response regarding lather, I thought I'd share my experience.

When I first tried out my EJDE87 that I got for Christmas, I used canned goo (Barbasol green) and got wonderful shaves. Picked up a CVS branded Van der Hagen bowl, brush (boar) and soap kit. Also picked up a puck of Williams and later got a puck of Co. Conk bay rum soap.

I too thought I was getting great lather, but the quality of my shaves went downhill fast. I was using the same razor and blades. The only variable was the lather. Out of frustraion, I used the Barbasol again one morning and got a great shave. So for me anyway, it was the lather or rather the lack-o-lather that caused my problem.

Still need to practice whipping up good lather with my brush & soap, but in the meantime, the Barbasol is doing great.

How long have you been doing this? If it's less than a month, then you're exactly where you're supposed to be right now, it's a skill that takes a while to figure out.

My advise is, if you don't get a good lather and liked what you got from a pressurized can, go with that for a while and get the angle of your DE right.

If you feel the Feather blades give you redness and irritate your skin, go with another blade (blade sampler with many different ones is always suggested by experience shavers).

If you think your lather is fine, try a Mach3. Is that good? Work with your DE angle some more.

If you think all other measures are OK and still not happy? Have you tried rubbing a few drops of olive oil into your stubble 10-30 minutes before lathering your face? I tried it and liked it a lot. I found my stubble to be softer and easier to cut and I got a nice feel of the razor gliding easier along my skin. This is an inexpensive test, since a good bottle of extra virgin olive oil is only a few dollars in your local supermarket. Worth a try.

Good luck, go easy on yourself and do what feels best.

:eek:)
Perkus

less than a month....

In that case, focus on fundamentals, work on improving your lather, try to improve one thing every day. If you need to, go back to a cartridge razor while you solve your lather issues, then slowly reintroduce the DE.

It'll take a while, but the payoff is worth is!

Top Bottom