What's new

Need help cleaning a Pipe stem.

I have had a Peterson Killarney for about 6 mo. ( one that has the tiny hole in the lip ). I have been cleaning it by getting a pipe cleaner up as far as I can through the tenon end . The cleaner wont fit in the hole at the lip . I’ve been using some string to clean that out as best as I can.

Is there a better way?

You might try a wire-tie that comes with garbage bags. Strip off the paper and use the wire to clean out the little hole.

Can you get a smaller pipe cleaner? I have several P-Lip Peterson's. Though tight, I have always been able to get a smooth cleaner in them.

The wire tie would fit . But I was thinking along the lines of something more absorbent.

Laney 1566 were do you get thiner cleaners . I can only find the standered size.

Last edited:
You might try some deniclean or Brebbia disinfect solution. Those P-lip Petersons are a challenge to clean, but they smoke great. You can pull the stem every so often for a thorough cleaning, but It is best to clean it with the stem in place or it may get loose.

Are you saying a standard size pipe cleaner won't fit into the mouthpiece at all? I have several p-lip pipes and they all pass a cleaner. Is it that the hole is too small or that it gets caught in the bend at the top of the bit? When the pipe is cool take it apart and run a cleaner through from the other end, if it wont pass the hole than there is a problem with how it was made, but that would be the first time I've heard of that problem in a Pete. The bend can be a little sharp in some of them, perhaps you could try putting a slight bend at the end of a cleaner and try to maneuver around the bend. Also once the pipe has cooled after smoking you can disassemble the stem from the shank without worrying about it loosening. I have several Pete's they all get disassembled and thoroughly cleaned after every days use and none of them have ever come loose at the tenon. Without regular cleaning the shank will accumulate a rankness you don't want to experience and will take some work to remove.

Last edited:
The wire tie would fit . But I was thinking along the lines of something more absorbent.

Laney 1566 were do you get thiner cleaners . I can only find the standered size.

What I meant by smaller is some pipe cleaners like they sell at craft stores have way too much fluff to them. Other cleaners are designed to scrub and have a wider profile. The P-lip needs the smaller smooth pipe cleaner sold for pipe cleaning.
Hope you solve the problem. I don't try to run it through from one end, but go at it from both sides.

I usually do alternate an everclear soaked pipe cleanere and then a dry pipe cleaner for all my pipes, including the p-lip. The everclear makes it easier to pass the pipe cleaner as well as cleans it better than just a dry pipe cleaner.

Are you saying a standard size pipe cleaner won't fit into the mouthpiece at all? I have several p-lip pipes and they all pass a cleaner. Is it that the hole is too small or that it gets caught in the bend at the top of the bit? When the pipe is cool take it apart and run a cleaner through from the other end, if it wont pass the hole than there is a problem with how it was made, but that would be the first time I've heard of that problem in a Pete. The bend can be a little sharp in some of them, perhaps you could try putting a slight bend at the end of a cleaner and try to maneuver around the bend. Also once the pipe has cooled after smoking you can disassemble the stem from the shank without worrying about it loosening. I have several Pete's they all get disassembled and thoroughly cleaned after every days use and none of them have ever come loose at the tenon. Without regular cleaning the shank will accumulate a rankness you don't want to experience and will take some work to remove.

Yes a standerd cleaner passes only to the bend about 1" before it stops . From the tenon end it passes only up to the bend - leaving about 1/4" unpassable .Yes I want to be able to run somthing all the way through -(why I have been threading a string through and ussing it like dental floss).

Might give those a try. Thanks for the link.:thumbup1:

I usually do alternate an everclear soaked pipe cleanere and then a dry pipe cleaner for all my pipes, including the p-lip. The everclear makes it easier to pass the pipe cleaner as well as cleans it better than just a dry pipe cleaner.

Somthing else I might consider . I still have some around . I do use this every 3 -4 months to clean my pipes. I have not used it yet on this peterson. I'll give this a try first.

Thanks for the input everyone.:thumbup:

Last edited:
I'm afraid quality control at Peterson let something slip. I'd encourage you to contact the vendor you should not have to struggle with this problem most will want to make it right especially if you explain that you haven't had experience with these pipes before. Peterson itself guarantees their pipes against workmanship defects, I believe but that would require sending the pipe to Ireland. I would definitely want to have this properly fixed. You have had the pipe for six months though and some vendors might balk at an exchange. If you are unable to get this resolved let me know, I can straighten her out.

I'm afraid quality control at Peterson let something slip. I'd encourage you to contact the vendor you should not have to struggle with this problem most will want to make it right especially if you explain that you haven't had experience with these pipes before. Peterson itself guarantees their pipes against workmanship defects, I believe but that would require sending the pipe to Ireland. I would definitely want to have this properly fixed. You have had the pipe for six months though and some vendors might balk at an exchange. If you are unable to get this resolved let me know, I can straighten her out.

Thank you for your advise and very kind offer!

I took the pipe to my tobacconist (the pipe was purchased there). He was able to dislodge a small little bit of vulcanite from the stem and smooth the inner surface with a flexible tiny reamer tool . Just a very small amount was stuck in there. Took him about 15 minutes. Now,a pipe cleaner passes through with out a lot of difficulty and the draw is improved as well .

Last edited:
Somewhat related...

I don't have any P-lip pipes. I've seen them advertised and sold all over, even a few of my pipe smoking friends own a couple, but I just don't get it. Why are they popular with the pipe smoking community? I only have one Peterson, it's a system standard, with the classic fishtail stem...and it's one of my best smoking pipes. Am I missing out by not using a P-lip, and from the looks of this thread, are they more trouble then they're worth?

Any input and feedback would be nice...I'm on the market for a new pipe.
:001_cool:

Thank you for your advise and very kind offer!

I took the pipe to my tobacconist (the pipe was purchased there). He was able to dislodge a small little bit of vulcanite from the stem and smooth the inner surface with a flexible tiny reamer tool . Just a very small amount was stuck in there. Took him about 15 minutes. Now,a pipe cleaner passes through with out a lot of difficulty and the draw is improved as well .

Good, I'm glad it they took care of it for you and I hope you're able to have a more pleasurable experience with her.

Somewhat related...

I don't have any P-lip pipes. I've seen them advertised and sold all over, even a few of my pipe smoking friends own a couple, but I just don't get it. Why are they popular with the pipe smoking community? I only have one Peterson, it's a system standard, with the classic fishtail stem...and it's one of my best smoking pipes. Am I missing out by not using a P-lip, and from the looks of this thread, are they more trouble then they're worth?

Any input and feedback would be nice...I'm on the market for a new pipe.

I've never had a problem with any of mine, but as you've read here I guess it can and has happened. They do direct smoke away from the tongue which can prevent bite if you're smoking a blend that can get that way. For me the biggest benefit is in another aria. I favor bent pipes, as I like the way I can hang them off the jaw and keep my hands free. I don't really clench but just hang 'em out the corner of my mouth. The problem is sometimes I get spittle down the stem creating a gurgle and a steamy smoke. The P-lips hole at the top helps to prevent that keeping my smoke cool and dry, and I find it very comfortable. At any rate if you're fortunate enough to have a B&M available you can check the quality of the build with a pipe cleaner before you buy. If you buy online check it as soon as you receive it, if there is a problem all of the reputable online shops will make an exchange. But as I've said I've never had a problem personally.

I've never had a problem with any of mine, but as you've read here I guess it can and has happened. They do direct smoke away from the tongue which can prevent bite if you're smoking a blend that can get that way. For me the biggest benefit is in another aria. I favor bent pipes, as I like the way I can hang them off the jaw and keep my hands free. I don't really clench but just hang 'em out the corner of my mouth. The problem is sometimes I get spittle down the stem creating a gurgle and a steamy smoke. The P-lips hole at the top helps to prevent that keeping my smoke cool and dry, and I find it very comfortable. At any rate if you're fortunate enough to have a B&M available you can check the quality of the build with a pipe cleaner before you buy. If you buy online check it as soon as you receive it, if there is a problem all of the reputable online shops will make an exchange. But as I've said I've never had a problem personally.

Thanks for getting back to me jwhite. Who knows, I may just give in and buy one for my next purchase.

Id say to go for it, especially if you go for a System pipe. You can buy replacement stems in either P-lip or Fishtail so converting is easy.

Top Bottom