What's new

Reviving Celuloid?

I'm guessing there has to be a way to do this and maybe revive isn't the best word. I have a razor that has celuloid scales on it and they're not in bad shave but the color of them seems to be faded a bit (if you can call it that) especially towards the spacer. They go from an almost black to dark gray about 2/3 the way through the length of the scales. So is there anything that can be used to make them more of a uniform color? I don't know if it's something where they're starting to dry out or what but I figured if anyone would know how to make them look nice it would be one of you guys.

You can hand sand them with wet/dry starting at 400-600 grit and work your way up to 1000-1500 and then buff them.

You have to be very careful with celluloid scales though as they could have cell rot, which will ruin you blade and there is nothing you can do to stop this save trash the scales.

I have a DD Satinwedge in isolation that I restored to monitor if the scales do have cell rot before keeping it on display with my other razors.

How can you determine what is rot and what isn't? And how the heck can celuloid destroy hardened steel?

Last edited:
How can you determine what is rot and what isn't? And how the heck can celuloid destroy hardened steel?
Here is an awesome explanation:
http://razortips.blogspot.com/2007/05/celluloid-rot.html

And I think the writer of that article is competent enough to be believed..

In short; Celluloid is made of a bunch of nasty chemicals, some of these "leaks" out volatile gases that eventually destroys the metal under the right (wrong..) circumstances.
Check the link for pics of what that looks like.

Top Bottom