What's new

Nasal rinsing with neti pot or nasal rinse bottle

Curious to know how many of you out there use a neti pot or nasal rinse squeeze bottle as part of your morning routine.

(I use the NeilMed rinse bottle)

I've been doing this going on six months (twice a day) and I have to admit that while it's not a "magic bullet" for sinus problems mine have cleared up quite a bit. I've also not had any colds or those "24 hour allergy" attacks that feel like a severe cold coming on.

I don't buy those ridiculously expensive salt packets or special "neti salt", either. Not necessary.

A container of pure Kosher salt from the Dollar Tree works fine. 1/2 teaspoon of salt to 8 oz. warm water is pretty close to regular saline.

On those bad days I'll add a little bit more to make a hypertonic solution to really dry them up.

Use the squeeze bottle myself. Been doing it twice a day for about 3 months and my sinuses have never felt better! :thumbup:

Interesting. What is the technique for the neti pot? Just pour it up your nose?
I've seen them advertised but never saw any explanation on their recommended usage. I have heard in the popular press that saline sprays are good for warding off colds, etc. I guess this is taking it to the next level!
-Fritz

I think the NeilMed is superior because the solution can get farther into the sinus cavity and it's easier to handle.

Yes, I have the NeilMed bottle at home and I have a traditional Neti at work (I have a private bath at work, so it's not as strange as it sounds).

The bottle is very handy, but the the pot is pretty good too.

I use either 1/2 tsp of kosher salt with my well water. OR sometimes a 1/4tsp kosher + 1/4tsp baking soda per 8oz H20.

One thing I don't do, though, is boil the water before I use it. I use plain old tap water from my well at home and municipal tap water at work (which is chorinated, so I probably don't neet to boil that anyway).

I like the results. As the OP said, it's no magic bullet, but it definitely helps. I have wretched sinus issues and any relief is a plus.

I use one regularly.

Makes my nose feel good, and most importantly and surprisingly has greatly reduced my snoring.

One annoying thing about them in my experience. Hours later, I can be bending down to tie my shoe or pick something up or whatever, and suddenly I'll have an unexpected release of what seems like a heck of a lot of water from my nose. I know it's not a "lot" of water, but it's quite a bunch of drops that come unexpected and are sometimes startling! I can just see it happening at an inopportune time at some point.

I find it helps if I keep my head down a little longer to let any excess drain out, but it doesn't always eliminate that annoying unexpected drip.

Interesting. What is the technique for the neti pot? Just pour it up your nose?
I've seen them advertised but never saw any explanation on their recommended usage. I have heard in the popular press that saline sprays are good for warding off colds, etc. I guess this is taking it to the next level!
-Fritz

Neti pots simply work on gravity. Plenty of YouTube videos.

I think the NeilMed MedRinse bottles work better as they use positive pressure.

I have both and am partial to the squeeze bottle to really get up in there. Sea salt or kosher are good as long as it is not iodized. I don't buy the packets either
People laugh at these treatments but they work. I also like saline in the aerosos or metal bottle.

I use the NeilMed squeeze bottle. Not every day, but several times a month. It really helps to break up congestion when I have a cold. Then again, if I used it more often, I might not get the cold in the first place.

I've turned on several friends to the NeilMed system. Their first response when I describe it is "Ewwwww, that's disgusting." After they try it themselves, they say "Yeah! That thing is great!"

I use both and while the squeeze bottle breaks up significant congestion better, I think the long term results from the Neti Pot are better.

I use the NeilMed when I feel a cold or sinus infection starting. However at a recent physical I mentioned to my doctor that I was getting over a sinus infection and he asked what I did for it. When I told him he told me to stop using that junk. He's kind of like Becker, very blunt. He said the water from it backs up into the ear and he doesn't recommend using any rinse. He told me next time to take Claritin (without the "D"). But the infection had cleared up enough I didn't need to take any drugs for it. It does help and I hate taking decongestants.

I use the NeilMed when I feel a cold or sinus infection starting. However at a recent physical I mentioned to my doctor that I was getting over a sinus infection and he asked what I did for it. When I told him he told me to stop using that junk. He's kind of like Becker, very blunt. He said the water from it backs up into the ear and he doesn't recommend using any rinse. He told me next time to take Claritin (without the "D"). But the infection had cleared up enough I didn't need to take any drugs for it. It does help and I hate taking decongestants.

My ENT was the one who introduced me to nasal rinsing.

Top Bottom