What's new

Light Beard & Shave Daily-Blade Suggestion

I am new here and have just ordered my first DE razor a Merkur 34c and blade sampler from royalshave who are highly recommended here.

My beard is very light and I do shave everyday from habit. I have been using Gillette Fusion or Mach 3 and usually get a month out of a cartridge of both.
I use AoS shaving soap & brush. I use evoo as a pre-shave oil.

My question is for those who have a light beard and shave daily - which blades have you found work best for you in a Merkur 34c and how long does a single blade last in your razor? How often should I change blades?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

STAY SHAVED

I use Derby blades in my 34G when I'm shaving every day, which isn't that often. For the most part, I do 2 or 3 shaves a week, and choose a more aggressive razor and blade.

I recently upgraded to the Edwin Jagger 89L as my daily razor, but I still use the Derby blades.

I get 2 shaves out of every blade, regardless of brand. You can probably stretch a Derby to 4 or 5, but why bother?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Well, that's a trick question.

All blades are not the sames. A good blade for me might be a bad blade for you. Also, it depends on which razor you are using. Pick a blade in the razor blade sample pack and try it. How long will it last? It depends again on your face, the razor, your technique, how many passes you do...

The average rule of thumb is 3 shaves. Some get 1, some 2, some 7... The trick is, if the blade pulls or tug, change it.

Well, that's a trick question.

All blades are not the sames. A good blade for me might be a bad blade for you. Also, it depends on which razor you are using. Pick a blade in the razor blade sample pack and try it. How long will it last? It depends again on your face, the razor, your technique, how many passes you do...

The average rule of thumb is 3 shaves. Some get 1, some 2, some 7... The trick is, if the blade pulls or tug, change it.

+1. Luc is right!

Welcome aboard. The good news is that DE blades are cheaper, so you can go for the number of shaves which feels best for you. I imagine you could get at least 3-5 shaves based on your comment, but let the feeling be your guide.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I am new here and have just ordered my first DE razor a Merkur 34c and blade sampler from royalshave who are highly recommended here.

My beard is very light and I do shave everyday from habit. I have been using Gillette Fusion or Mach 3 and usually get a month out of a cartridge of both.

My question is for those who have a light beard and shave daily - which blades have you found work best for you in a Merkur 34c and how long does a single blade last in your razor? How often should I change blades?

STAY SHAVED
Doctor:
It was very wise and 'sage' advice to get a Razor Blade Sampler to see what blade is a good fit (mild, moderate & aggressive, ect...), for your face and Razor...I happen to like Feathers, Derby's and Kia's with my Merkur's 23C & 38C razors (among other blades), too :thumbup1:

I'm still working through my blade sampler (Astra SP, Astra SS, BlueBird Hi Stainless, Super-Max Stainless, Super-Max Platinum, KAI, Treet Classic Stainless, Trig Silver Edge Stainless, Feather Hi-Stainless, Gillette 7 O'Clock SS & Derby Extra Stainless razor blades), keeping shaving data on a spread sheet and I change blades after 6 shaves.

Christopher
proxy.php

The best blade is the one that works best for you. You did the right thing getting a sampler pack. In a few months you can tell us what worked for you.

STAY SHAVED

Re the best blades.... when you find out let me know!

The Count of Merkur Cristo suggested doing a spread sheet to record results.

How does one set one up and are there any examples on this forum I could use as a pattern.

I'd be glad to quantify my results and post it in this thread for the benefit of all.

STAY SHAVED

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member

How does one set one up and are there any examples on this forum I could use as a pattern.

I'd be glad to quantify my results and post it in this thread for the benefit of all.

STAY SHAVED

Google allow you to do this. You could use your own space in Wiki to do it too. (See top menu -> Wiki -> You will then see at the top of the page, in the middle, your user name, click on it, it's your spot!)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis

STAY SHAVED
Dr Charles Green:
Send me a PM (and any other member for that matter), and I'll send you my spread (example, workable...omit, add, ect...), sheet to you're e-mail address. :laugh:

Christopher
proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom