What's new

Toe socks

Anyone else wear toe socks? I have a few pairs of Injinji and I love them. I won't hike in anything else.

How are these going to keep your feet warm during long hikes? Do you use them during Winter? Don't the toes wear out fast?

I can definitely see the comfort aspect, but I can't see myself wearing them for prolonged hikes or even in 32 F weather. Hmmmm...

What are they made of? And don't they increase the width of your feet inside the shoes?

EDIT
And NO, you can not keep me out of a socks thread!

Last edited:
here's mine
proxy.php

How are these going to keep your feet warm during long hikes? Do you use them during Winter? Don't the toes wear out fast?

I can definitely see the comfort aspect, but I can't see myself wearing them for prolonged hikes or even in 32 F weather. Hmmmm...

What are they made of? And don't they increase the width of your feet inside the shoes?

EDIT

If its really cold I will use them as a sock liner under some smartwool. I have seen other reviews online about people complaining that they wear out too fast, but I have had no problems. The performance line are CoolMax with Nylon and Lycra. The Outdoor series are NuWool. They are pretty thin and do not increase the width of my feet.

EDIT

I generally wear mine with Vibram 5 fingers which are no good for cold weather, but fabulous fair weather shoes.

I have 2 pairs of the Injinji toe socks, I think they are just Ok. They are a pain to put on but are comfortable...the main purpose of these type is for toe comfort by keeping the toes from rubbing together.

I know several runners who will only wear these to keep from getting blisters. On the down side mine get holes in them easily and I've sown them up a few times. When these wear out I wont be buying them again but may be worth a try if you have rubbing or blister troubles.

I was in Halden and Oslo (as well as CZ/PL) in Winter 2009-2010 wearing Injinji socks under casual boots (not winter boots) and was fine.

Love my injinis. Wear them with my VFFs. Soft and keep my feet pretty dry. Takes a little bit of time to put on when you first start wearing them, but you will get faster.

I was in Halden and Oslo (as well as CZ/PL) in Winter 2009-2010 wearing Injinji socks under casual boots (not winter boots) and was fine.

That Winter was pretty cold too. But I mean, what were you doing? Walking around in the city is pretty much fine in any shoes (within reasonable limits) and warm socks.

I imagine if you were doing some sort of activity and sweating a lot on your feet, it wouldn't be that comfortable.

That Winter was pretty cold too. But I mean, what were you doing? Walking around in the city is pretty much fine in any shoes (within reasonable limits) and warm socks.

I imagine if you were doing some sort of activity and sweating a lot on your feet, it wouldn't be that comfortable.

It's true that most of my walking was city-only. I forgot to mention that I was wearing the winterized version of the socks (composed at least partially of wool) most of the time, though I didn't like them as the material "moved" more around my feet and felt like they would have encouraged blisters over time. I did have a couple pairs of the regular version which I used almost exclusively in Halden, where I did a bit of "off-roading," though nothing serious.

The summer prior to that, I went on a ~40km backpacking trip with >2500m of elevation change while carrying a 20kg pack--the socks held up fine and ultimately convinced me that I'd switch to using them almost exclusively. In your typical winters however, I would wear a normal boot sock for any serious expeditioning, though I would consider using the Injinjis as a base layer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom