What's new

OK, I consider myself a noobie

Started with a DE razor in the late '60s, a Gillette, still have it. The gent at the pharmacy where I bought it told me it's a safety razor 'cause I could only give myself 1/8" deep gashes. :ohmy: Went to cartridge razors, Wilkinson, Shick Double 2, Atra. But I want to get back to a DE razor. I guess I'm not the only one if there is a forum for it. :001_smile

And I'd wager my shaving history is fairly typical. As you can imagine I'm full of questions even after reading the FAQs. BTW, that's very nicely done.

So after 40 some odd years of cartridge shaving, I'm a noobie all over again, and surprise, I really never did know how to use my old DE razor anyway.

OK, so I make the decision to get back to the safety razor and I try to find it. It appears I was given a Valet from near the turn of the century which appears to be brass, but according to the research I did on the 'net blades can be found for it, but I only saw them at one online site. I also found a video that shows how to modify SE blades for it, except the Valet I have the gent says it's a real bother and he gave up trying to figure it out.

I also located a like new Gem Featherweight SE, and I read the review of it on this site where everyone likes it, so I'll definitely be getting some blades for it. I have one new blade I just put in it, and yes, it was a blade for shaving and not for scraping windows. :001_smile

The last razor I found was my first Gillette. I have no idea which model it is, but I can descibe it. It's a TTO design, with a handle 3" long, The center portion is black and 1 3/4" long, the bottom twists to open the head for blade replacement and is silver color.

OK, is it worth while to get blades for the Valet? Or is it a waste of time? The Gem I've already decided based on the reviews here, is worth getting blades for. My old Gillette, is it OK for a learner?

I know the technology is old, but are the newer DE razors better/easier to use than what I have?

Thanks guys. I hope to be an asset to the forum.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

If you really want to use the valet, someone should be able to help you if you post a WTB (Want to Buy) thread in the WTB sub-forum. Is it worth it? it depends what the razor is worth to you. If you like it and want to use it, then yes. Otherwise, you can go with the GEM or Gillette. To identify which gillette it is, pictures would be much easier.

Welcome to B&B. Sounds a lot like my story. We must be about the same age. I got back to DE shaving March of last year. Enjoy the ride this is a great place to be.

About the Valet, I guess I was asking if it'd be OK for a newbie. I'd rather not use a razor where I'll need a skin graft afterward if my technique isn't perfect.

OK, so I used the Gem Lightweight tonight after the shower. Still did the hot towel thing for a few minutes. Don't have real shaving soap yet, or a brush, so I used my gel foam. Tomorrow we'll be on a search for the right "stuff".

I probably shouldn't have shaved after taking an Ambien, I don't think that's a real good idea (note to self), but the shave was a very acceptable first pass shave. A few weepers, I'm just glad I wasn't using a straight razor. The one pass shave was better than a one pass Atra shave and there was no clogging of the shaver. Finished with Witch Hazel just because I didn't want massive alcohol, and wiped the styptic pencil over the weepers for instant stoppage.

Edit: If it had been a shave for military guard duty I'd have made supernumary yet again. It was a pretty good shave. Military folks will understand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom