What's new

Shaving on the cheap: more shaving bowl options

Wal-mart has three items of interest in their housewares department:

a 4" white ceramic ramekin with an unglazed bottom. It has a raised band around the outside circumference and is approximately 1.75-2" deep. Price is $2.46 The inside dimensions are about the same size as an empty shave soap tub (Ex. Mama Bear's). Excellent fit in the hand. If you manage to have one of these slip out of your hand you're a major klutz. Looks like it would conduct heat fairly well.

Corelle Ware "Berry Bowl" and a 10 oz. "Dessert Bowl". The dessert bowl is a tad wider and shallower but the berry bowl fits better in the hand (if you have short fingers like me). Both are plain white and price on both is $2.76

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The ramekin are good to stack soaps or use them as a lathering bowl yes. I don't know if the bottom is unglazed but I don't thik it would matter.

The ramekin are good to stack soaps or use them as a lathering bowl yes. I don't know if the bottom is unglazed but I don't thik it would matter.

Well, I bought one of the Wally World ramekins since a certain SWMBO now tells me that the Korean rice bowl with lid is OFF LIMITS :mad3: as a shaving bowl. Funny how she had no use for it when it simply sat on the shelf unused.

Well, I bought one of the Wally World ramekins since a certain SWMBO now tells me that the Korean rice bowl with lid is OFF LIMITS :mad3: as a shaving bowl. Funny how she had no use for it when it simply sat on the shelf unused.

That's women for you! :001_rolle My SWMBO has a rule that if it is not used in six months it gets thrown out. However, that rule does not apply to any gadget, etc. that I then try to use for shaving. :mad3:

Excellent fit in the hand. If you manage to have one of these slip out of your hand you're a major klutz.

Never underestimate the slippery nature of soap and water...just saying. :nono:

I've had a bowl slip from my hands. It hasn't broken, but water and soap do lube things up well. Especially if your lather is spot on. :thumbup1:

I've had a bowl slip from my hands. It hasn't broken, but water and soap do lube things up well. Especially if your lather is spot on. :thumbup1:

Or SWMBOs.

"You may not use display bowls for shaving. They are only for displaying. Yes, I know I use them for holding my jewelry. That's OK."

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member

:laugh: That's pretty funny!

That's why I like cappuccino mugs. They should be cheap if you hit up Big Lots.

a 4" white ceramic ramekin with an unglazed bottom. It has a raised band around the outside circumference and is approximately 1.75-2" deep. Price is $2.46 The inside dimensions are about the same size as an empty shave soap tub (Ex. Mama Bear's). Excellent fit in the hand. If you manage to have one of these slip out of your hand you're a major klutz. Looks like it would conduct heat fairly well.

Corelle Ware "Berry Bowl" and a 10 oz. "Dessert Bowl". The dessert bowl is a tad wider and shallower but the berry bowl fits better in the hand (if you have short fingers like me). Both are plain white and price on both is $2.76

I like your series, Shaving on the Cheap! :thumbup: Great job.

I sell Fiesta factory seconds on ebay (well have in the past, been a little busy lately) but the coffe mugs work great for me. Nice 1 finger handle and soaps fit perfectly. Cost me about $1.00 and I have my pick of colors. White and Ivory match my set very nicely.

I sell Fiesta factory seconds on ebay (well have in the past, been a little busy lately) but the coffe mugs work great for me. Nice 1 finger handle and soaps fit perfectly. Cost me about $1.00 and I have my pick of colors. White and Ivory match my set very nicely.

+1. Found something similar at a neighborhood garage sale. The finger hold helps when things get slippery.

Most charity shops (thrift stores) will have a fair range of crockery, and it's not hard to find something suitable that looks a little nicer and maybe is more durable for the same price as low-end new stuff. And, of course, you might score a razor while you're looking.

I have a stainless steel mixing bowl I got at a garage sale. It's about 7 or 8 inches wide, and about 3.5 inches deep. Nice thing about it is that it has a ring attached to the side of the bowl at the top. You slip your thumb through that, and cup the bowl in your hand and it's secure and rock steady. I think it cost me a quarter. :)

check dish out...[/ATTACH] View attachment 144527 I add near boiling water to the lower bowl (large soup mug)then add the liner bowl (candle holder) and make my lather it stays warm for the durarion of my shave. -Blade Boy

Last edited:
I like your series, Shaving on the Cheap! :thumbup: Great job.

Thank you! :thumbup1:

Speaking of Big! Lots: I was in there today and they had some dessert-sized ceramic bowls that had a very interesting pebbled finish on them. $2

Another item I picked up at Big! Lots many years ago that I saw today was a pair of white ceramic dessert ramekins with plastic snap-on lids. They still sell them for $2 a pair. Brand name is "Great Gatherings". I dug mine out of the attic and was please to find that a puck of VDH shaving soap drops inside PERFECTLY with no additional milling. You insert the puck with the logo side facing up. The puck molds itself to the slightly tapered sides of the ramekin and will not spin around inside it. Rock on!

Last edited:

Their Pyrex custard bowls are 4 for $4.98. They are oval, but the soap puck of VDH fits perfectly in it.

Top Bottom